15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2016 2:23 PM by monisame RSS

London Marriott Hotel County Hall - Yea or Nay?

mrjohne Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We're heading off to London in March (my first time but my partner has been there many times) for our anniversary before we head off to Switzerland to visit family.  I see the County Hall is very centrally located and the pictures look very nice so is it all that it's cracked up to be?!

Any other recommendations?

I'll post some pictures after our trip since I appreciate it when other Marriott members do.  Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, UK
London, England
  • Re: London Marriott Hotel County Hall - Yea or Nay?
    peymanagement Platinum

yea on county hall. Really central, and you can walk to pretty well anywhere in central London. Nice place for two.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

We only stayed there two nights, but it was really nice. The first day we walked, the second day we figured out the buses (which were really pretty easy) to explore. You can also do the hop on hop off which stops right at the hotel. We have been to London quite a few times, before my Marriott alliance, next year we are taking our three grand children. Now the county hall is a bit expensive for that, but I will look forward to you posting how you made out. If you are pub people, there are some really nice pubs nearby.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Yea!

None better in London!

rlswider Platinum 7 Reviews

I agree Yea on County Hall --- excellent treatment for Platinum's as well as very good access to Central London

seatexan Platinum

Gah now I am questioning my reservations at the JW! >.<

mrjohne, let us know how it goes! I had a very hard time deciding between the JW and County Hall. 

troytraveler Silver

I stayed at St. Ermin's an Autograph Edition hotel. It was very nice.

rmkc Platinum

Just back from an 8 night stay in London with my 2 kids.  We stayed at the Marriott London County Hall the entire visit and it was terrific.  The staff was friendly and helpful.  The hotel rooms look splendid after the renovation.  Every morning, Jean-Francois greeted the kids and me with such cheer for breakfast in the restaurant.  The assistant to the manager, Jack, is such a wonderful person – he sent some sweets to my kids when we checked in.  This hotel clearly has many fine individuals working in hospitality.

The location of the hotel itself could not have been better for exploring London.  It was an easy walk from the hotel to transit points – buses across the street and tube station across the bridge.   Our window had a postcard view of Big Ben and parliament.  (With kids, would recommend staying in the Big Ben view rooms and including breakfast.)   As a Platinum member, I had hoped to get an upgrade to a balcony room and while we could not get that for the entire stay (understandable), we were able to stay in a balcony room for the last three nights.

There were a lot of families in the hotel, so this place is very much suited for kids.  They especially enjoyed the indoor pool and the holiday decorations around the hotel, including the winter-themed train set in the lobby.  Touches like these make the stay special during the holiday times.

My suggestions for improvement are two.  We visited the executive lounge on several nights for snacks where they served hot food.  There didn’t seem to be much rotation of the food though from day to day.  I would suggest changing the selection, if possible, on a daily basis.  Second, and more importantly, during the trip, my credit card was frozen by the credit card company.  I needed to call collect back to the US to straighten out the situation.  When I asked the front desk how I could make a collect call to the US, I was told that it was not possible.  So I ended up calling direct which cost me a king’s ransom.  The first call didn’t sort out the mess, so I called a second time.  Again, I asked the front desk if they could assist in a collect call and this time they did arrange the call. The call was charged to the credit card company and I got the situation sorted out without any additional telephone charges to me.  At checkout, I mentioned to the staff that the only reason I was being charged for the first call to the US was because no one helped me place the collect call and the reply I received was that they are not supposed to arrange collect calls.  I find this strange.  As an American staying at an American hotel, I do feel that the hotel should always be able to assist me with dialing back home, especially in emergency situations.  I hope that this policy is sorted out.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel without any hesitation for people visiting London on vacation, including and particularly with kids.  Thanks Marriott County Hall.

Additional Note:  While we paid for breakfast in the restaurant, as a Platinum member you do have access to the executive lounge where is there is a smaller breakfast offering with hot food.  We enjoyed the bigger offering in the restaurant and would do it again, but could have gotten by with just the executive lounge for breakfast.

Location Brand Hotel
    London, England
      mlwarren1 Platinum

My wife and I are staying at this hotel in April 2017 and are really excited about it.  Thanks for your thorough review!  One question for you... as a Platinum member, did your free wifi benefit apply there?  I know that occasionally when traveling internationally, our Platinum benefits can vary a bit.  Just curious what you experienced at the Marriott County Hall.  Thanks in advance!

rmkc Platinum

I had fast wireless access during the entire stay and it seemed strong in many places: lobby, pool areas, restaurant.  No problems at all.  I didn't ask if I received the fast wireless because I was Platinum, but that's probably correct as there was no charge for it.

Someone asked about a pub recommendation - I took the kids for a traditional fish & chips at a pub.  It is called the The Red Lion and is just across the bridge and to the right.  Good place and a lot of locals hang out there - mostly govt types.

monisame Platinum

This is the best option. Don t doubt. !!! If you can affort it go ahead. No ohter hotel like this JW in London. Plus the property renew all the rooms !!!! 

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

I'm not a particular good resource for central London accommodations, as I usually stay at less expensive hotel in small community of Horley (near Gatwick Airport) and take train in/out of London, utilizing "Hop on-Hop off" bus service to see the city.

However, if you don't mind the expense, and want the experience of downtown London, you might also consider the Marriott Grosvenor, which is also centrally located.

mrjohne Platinum

Thanks for all the comments everyone.  We're looking forward to our trip and I'll be sure to follow up as well.  Maybe even with some travel tips.  Happy New Year to you all!

monisame Platinum

I will recomend the Mayflower on the Thames Path,has stood on the site since time immemorial It has a fine (if pricey) dining room upstairs, with impressive views of the Thames

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...