13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2016 8:35 AM by troytraveler RSS

Do Purchased Points Count Toward Lifetime Status

retiredbkr Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

A couple of months ago I inquired from the Platimum Support Line as to whether purchased points counted toward your lifetime total and was advised that this would be the case.  I am currently a Platimum Elite Member with some 1,854,000 Lifetime points.  Nights are not a problem however advancing years together with health issues make travel more and more suspect and I had wanted to purchase the maximum number of points allowed for 2016 and 2017.  Also all my points have been accumulated through leisure travel as well as VISA purchases.  Yesterday I call the support centre again to purchase points and was advised that they would not count and that the same applied to VISA points.  I questioned this and after a brief delay where the operator went off line to seek additional help he returned to say that VISA points would count but not purchased points.  Has anyone else ran into this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Do Purchased Points Count Toward Lifetime Status
    etwhite Platinum

1.png

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I am very surprised that purchased points would count towards LT status. We all have seen the post where transferring points out of an account reduces LT progress and while not yielding any benefit of progress to the recipient. My take-away from that post was "you must EARN the points to have them apply towards status." Hmmm . . .

heydude25 Platinum

There is a later post at the same Loyalty website but would definitely like to see Marriott confirm before purchasing points.   Looked at Marriott's Website but unable to find the same page.

Marriott Rewards Silver, Gold & Platinum Lifetime Status (2016 Update) | LoyaltyLobby

seatexan Platinum

Hmmm do my points from my Marriott CC count? If they do, then ones purchased would also count at least once if bought with the CC right?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

There's one way to find out. Buy some points. I decided to do just that. It will take a day or two before they are credited to my account. I'll let you know if my lifetime points total increases.

Stay tuned....

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

To confirm. Purchased points do count toward lifetime status. The points I purchased yesterday are now in my account and reflected in my current points and lifetime points totals.

Don't forget there is a maximum of 50,000 points that can be purchased or received as a gift. Hey, I'm still well below that threshold. Anyone care to buy me some additional points as a thank you gift for verifying this information?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Thanks for tagging us brightlybob & etwhite!  Any purchased points will count towards lifetime status.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...