1 2 3 7 Previous Next 101 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2017 3:50 PM by bejacob RSS

Big 5-0 in Hawaii

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Many of you know, I'll be celebrating my 50th birthday in the 50th state in just a few months. The trip is coming together bit by bit.

Already booked

• First class one-way from CMH to PHX to SAN on AA
  • 1 night CY San Diego/Liberty Station (closest property to the airport)
  • Premium class one-way from SAN to LIH on AS
  • 5 nights on points at the new Autograph property, Koloa Landing
  • 5 nights on points at the MVC Ko Olina Beach Club
  • First class one-way from HNL to JFK to CMH on DL (overnight with lie flat seats)

I held off booking the SAN-LIH leg until I achieved MVP Gold status with AS. Unfortunately, by the time I booked, I could not get a guaranteed FC upgrade. I settled for the Premium class upgrade which ended up saving me a few hundred dollars over the FC upgradable fare, though I'm bummed I won't be in FC for the flight to Hawaii. At least I will be for the overnight flight home.

I still need to book the flight between LIH and HNL as well as any activities. I plan on reserving a helicopter tour of Kauai (Na Pali coast, Waimea Canyon, waterfalls ... need I say more?)   Also planning a day trip, fly-in/fly-out to Kalaupapa on Molokai from HNL (since Kalawao county is technically a separate entity from Maui county).

Given that I'll be there in March, there's a good chance I might see some whales (though I know Maui is the best island for whale watching). It's been almost 13 years since I was last on Kauai. I visited Oahu a little over a year ago, though I'm not familiar with the area around Ko Olina, having never visited that side of the island.

Any suggestions for other things I should do on Kauai or Oahu?

I've been to Pearl Harbor and climbed Diamond Head, though I won't object to doing either again.

Anything major I'm forgetting?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Kapolei - Oahu, Hawaii, USA Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Kauai , Hawaii, USA
Poipu, Hawaii, USA
Koloa - Kauai, Hawaii, USA Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
  • 1. Re: Big 5-0 in Hawaii
    peymanagement Platinum

Congrats on reaching the half century. i found 40 to be the tough one psychologically. I thought about it with the big 5 - 0 but breezed by 60 without a thought.

Your plans sound amazing. I can tell you are not sit on the beach people. I am looking forward to your report and pictures.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Big 5-0 in Hawaii
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

bejacob

Congratulations on reaching the half-century mark.  What a perfect place you've picked to celebrate it.  Good luck in your next half-century.

• 3. Re: Big 5-0 in Hawaii
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I am not a usual fan of luau's but the one we did in Kauai at an old plantation was the best

• 4. Re: Big 5-0 in Hawaii
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

50 was big but not as big as 70

• 5. Re: Big 5-0 in Hawaii
    seatexan Platinum

50... and think, you look darn good for 50! not a day over 40 looking! I think the same about pluto77, looking SO MUCH younger.

This trip sounds amazing! I know you are going to have a blast! 10 days! woot! So... do they have counties to collect there too?

• 6. Re: Big 5-0 in Hawaii

Nice to have something to look forward to.

• 7. Re: Big 5-0 in Hawaii

Aww shucks, thanks SeaTexan.

Hawaii does have counties, 5 of them but only 4 county seats (Kalawao county, which used to be a leper colony, doesn't have a county seat, but I plan to go there anyway). I visited three last time, so I'll wrap up the state this trip.

Here's some additional info on the counties https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_Hawaii

• 8. Re: Big 5-0 in Hawaii
    nmballoonist Platinum

Sounds like a great trip to celebrate the big 50.  Congratulations!

• 9. Re: Big 5-0 in Hawaii
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

NO WAY half a century....wow.  Not start acting like it!!   Yeah. I'm one to talk huh?

Helicopter tour, far too many moving parts for me to want to entertain that idea.  However; we did a fixed wing tour of Kauai years ago and it was fabulous.  Simply amazing how many waterfalls there are to see so I'm sure you'll have a grand time hovering near them, something one should not try in a fixed wing craft.

• 10. Re: Big 5-0 in Hawaii
    AZDesertRat Platinum

Kauai is a beautiful island which you will really enjoy.  I highly recommend the luau at Smith's Family Luau near the mouth of the Wailea River.  Great food and plenty of it and the show afterwards is memorable.  When we saw it the rain poured down on the dancers, who never missed a beat and were seemingly oblivious to the downpour - while we (and the band) watched under cover.  The helicopter tour is also wonderful, and a trip up the river to the Fern Grotto is worth taking.   

• 11. Re: Big 5-0 in Hawaii
    troytraveler Silver

Have you done the following in Oahu? Visit:

• Hanauma bay
    • Polynesian cultural center
    • Dole Plantation
    • USS Arizona Memorial
    • Iolani Palace

• 12. Re: Big 5-0 in Hawaii

Good list troytraveler. Of those, the only one I haven't done it the Iolani Palace. Thanks for reminding me about it.

• 13. Re: Big 5-0 in Hawaii

I'd forgotten about the Fern Grotto. That's something I didn't do last time on Kauai.

• 14. Re: Big 5-0 in Hawaii
    nationwide Platinum

The celebratory trip sounds great bejacob!  Happy early birthday my friend!

1 2 3 7 Previous Next