4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2010 8:39 PM by lvdude1999 RSS

Platinum Arrival Gifts- What happened to my 2 waters+snack?

rougeuxm Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Last week I arrived at the Wichita Courtyard for the second week in a row, I ask for the a couple waters and a snack as the arrival gift- Oh, but they don't have water in the fridge (strange) so I grab a coke and a pack of M&Ms - front desk person checking me in says "would you like to put that on your room?" I'm like - "I thought it was my arrival gift?" and I'm told "one item only" 

Strange thing was- the week before the drink and the snack went over just fine - probably because they've seen me there before many times - I've stayed there probably 16 days in the last 4 months. 

What happened to the arrival gift? It used to be in the room. Now it's at the mercy of the stingy hotels I stay at. 

Adding 200 marriot rewards points as an arrival gift is pretty cheap as well especially compared to how some other hotels treat their most valuable customers: 

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-priority-club-inter-continental-ambassador/366846-priority-club-levels-royal-ambassador-status-details.html

Marriott should review how it treats its customers that stay 75+ nights a year. In first class on an airplane, I'm given a meal and free drinks, and I often spend less $$$ per week on the airplane than I do the hotel stay. 

Still, the rental car agency (hertz) is the worst at treating it's valuable customers - but Marriott isn't really impressin' me right now

• Re: Platinum Arrival Gifts- What happened to my 2 waters+snack?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

This is discouraging news!  It is not a good sign when a Platinum member is given a choice of paying for a free item, or items.  Again, seems that training of associates is at the heart of all this.  With a little role playing the whole incident could have been resolved to your and the associate's satisfaction.

At a recent stay I was offered the points or something from the market, two if i wanted it, or a i-Tunes type card good for 4 song downloads. I asked how that worked and the associate said, "here, take one, plus two waters, plus the points."  We both felt that a satisfactory transaction had taken place, and without a rule being cited!

If this happens again please post and let us know.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

barbaracollins Platinum

I agree, I have just stayed at the Renaissance in Dubai, and their arrival gift choices were so bad I opted for the point.

I thought it was to welcome you and thank you for your cutom.  I am recently feeling that I am welcomed any more enthusiatically for being a platinum guest as I would a regular guest. I'm beginning to wonder if being a platinum member has any value at all.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Arrival Gifts- What happened to my 2 waters+sna
    james30 Platinum

This has happened to me several times, one item or points; not two items.  Occasionally at properties where the staff recognizes the value of a Platinum, I have been offered more than one item.  

lvdude1999 Platinum

The main problem I see in my experience is that if you arrive late, then the arrival gift is not given at all.  I am often faced with absolutely no option to receive any food or water, because "we do not provide the ammentiy after room service closes".  The key here is that the staff are being trained that it is an amenity gift, and not an ARRIVAL gift.  In fact, the card you sign says ARRIVAL gift on it.

My point is, if you cannot follow the corporate rules, turn in your franchise rights and hang a different sign out front.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...