5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2016 8:57 AM by fschumpert RSS

MR Status Should Carry Over to MVC Resorts: Discuss.

rle Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Why are our Marriott Reward elite statuses not recognized at Mariott Vacation Club Properties?  I just returned from a fabulous vacation in St. Kitts where we stayed at the MVC St. Kitts Beach Club.  It is a wonderful and beautiful property with great amenities.  This property happens to have separate rooms and villas specific to Marriott Hotels that are separate from the Villas through MVC but all are located on the same property and share the same amenities.  I do not have a thing to complain about the resort itself other than because we stayed through the Vacation Club instead of through Marriott Hotels, our status is meaningless (that and the fact that when you ask an MVC about it, they just look at you and point to one of the many signs that essentially say your status is void there).  Even at the hotel side, we cannot utilize our elite status privileges because we are not staying "there".  Am I the only one who is confused and/or bothered by this?  I just feel like, as Marriott has grown, expanded, progressed and now acquired Starwood, this is something that should be integrated.  I hope the Marriott Rewards moderators are taking note as the company proceeds through the transition of combining the three reward programs into one.  This is something I think Marriott should change.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Frigate Bay, Saint Kitts
  • Re: MR Status Should Carry Over to MVC Resorts: Discuss.
    tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

There are many reasons. Here are two.

1) Benefits at Marriott hotel resorts are limited for all levels, but you pointed out that you weren't staying there, so you didn't get any benefits That makes perfect sense. There are many places where Marriott has properties in close proximity that allow charging etc, but you cannot expect to get benefits if you aren't a guest.

2) Regarding benefits AT the MVCI. You get 1000 points if you are a Plat. However, that's it. They are a different company then the hotel company. They don't own most of the inventory at the property. It's a different model. They just work differently. You get the room type you reserve. You don't get anything else as they have to provide everyone the room type they invested in.

NOW, what I would like is breakfast at resorts and CY. Those are things I still can't believe don't exist.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Strangely enough my view is exactly the opposite to yours tker

Although separate companies MVCI and Marriott do operate ties, in particular it was recently announced that all MVCI members at a certain level get MR Plat. It seems strange that Marriott just gave away its top tier to MVCI without any worthwhile reciprocity to MR Plats staying at MVCI. I really am perplexed at that completely one-sided deal.

As for the Courtyard breakfast, this dog is a well-beaten animal. Marriott originally ran 2 schemes, one for the full services that included upgrades and breakfast benefits for high stayers and a separate scheme at the cheaper select service Courtyard brand that gave points. Offering a cooked to order breakfast is part of the Courtyard standard and breakfast income is an integral part of the CY prospectus to its franchisees who would need to agree wholesale to vary. The CY brand is phenomenally successful (though I don't see why myself) with well over 1,000 premises but achieving an across the board agreement with this ever expanding list of franchisees will be tough. That's if Marriott ever tries.

Whilst it would be lovely to see free elite breakfast at CYs and we should certainly continue beating that drum it is clear to me that offering Plat benefits at MVCI should actually be a lot easier - it should have been part of the deal that gives high-rolling MVCI members MR Plat...

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

We agree more than disagree. However, I think what needs to be considered is that MVCI simply doesn't have the benefits to give. First, they are all resorts-there goes breakfasts. They CANNOT give upgrades and inventory management is so much more critical there and they do not own much of what they manage.

However, I do not think MVCI should be granted Plat status for reaching a certain level. You correctly point out its a one way street. Similar to the United deal where the United flyers got gold and MR members got United Silver. United Silver has almost no value. I am disappointed that both happened.

My comments on CY is that breakfast was essentially added for people traveling on business. This is their business brand and the only part of the brand that doesn't give breakfast.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Interesting topic.

My take is that the Marriott Rewards® Terms and Conditions relating to elite status do a pretty good job of explaining which brands are excluded from certain benefits (like free breakfast, lounge access, room upgrades). It's up to us to know what to expect when booking. I've made several MVC stays. About the only Platinum perk is the additional points earning (and PAG). I knew that going in, so I wasn't surprised or disappointed. MVCI is a separate company and I appreciate being able to use or earn points at those properties (especially use points ).

I rarely choose MVC properties. When I do, it's because I want to stay in a specific area. If I was worried about elite benefits, I would look for a full-service Marriott brand. Usually there is one not too far away. Sure, it would be nice to have elite status mean more at MVC. Knowing up front that it doesn't isn't something that bothers me.

Getting more elite benefits at MVC properties would be great, and now that top tier VC owners get Platinum status in MR, perhaps Marriott should revisit some of the T&C exemptions with MVCI. It probably won't happen, but we can hope.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

When I've checked in at MVC villas, as a Rewards member also, I'm awarded Marriott points, and I also gain a night "stay" on Marriott program for every night I stay in in the MVC villa. I've also been able to appropriate Reward points for additional night, added to end of our VC stay.

There is some cross-over between Marriott Rewards and MVC, with the latter operating under the "umbrella" of Marriott; however, I don't expect the same treatment at MVC as in Marriott Hotels. But, then, at Marriott Hotel & Resorts, they don't always provide free breakfasts as does traditional Marriott Hotels, and they also charge a $35 "resort fee". You have to understand the benefits of each of these different properties to take advantage of each.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...