18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2016 9:30 PM by ojay RSS

No more bar soaps, please!

rle Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Am I the only one out there that is tired of hotels populating their bathrooms with those little soaps?  Haven't we reached a period where hotels can recognize how unsanitary a bar of soap is to wash with and provide liquid hand soap in the rooms?  They do it for the public restrooms in the buildings but not the ones in the rooms.  This is not a Marriott-specific problem but an industry-wide problem.  Since I travel with my own body wash, I end up using the hotel-provided bath gel to wash my hands. But I guess I am just curious if this has always just been my own neuroses or if there are others out there...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
California, USA
  • Re: No more bar soaps, please!
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Every Marriott I stay provides a new soap box/bar that is wrapped in plastic or similar each day that I select housekeeping clean my room.

I for one don't much like having to use liquid soap for shower nor for washing hands or face in the sink.  Give me a fresh bar of soap every day and I'm good......again just me.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bacon14 Platinum

Especially if you are staying at the MVC in Maui and they leave Malie products in mango nectar!

It seems like somewhere I stayed recently offered both bar soap as well as small liquid hand soap by the bathroom sink.  Everyone's happy that way.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

i agree with you . Cruise ships always have the liquid and I also would prefer the bar every day

j&c Platinum

Love, love, love the Marriott bar soaps. (And yes, we travel with our own facial and body bars.) Like IAHFLYR, we appreciate a lightly scented, fresh bar, but not so much the fragranced body wash and liquid hand soap. C

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Bar shops independently wrapped and replaced for each customer are as clean and hygienic as you can get.

I personally have no use for liquid hand soaps.

To each his own.

(BTW, I have a particularly fondness for Irish Spring hand soap so I back a bar whenever I travel.)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

There is nothing unsanitary about bar soaps.  Somme peo[ple have allergic reactions to liquid soaps.  Many hotels provide both liquid and bar soaps.  Perhaps RLE could request, at the desk, if liquid soap is available.  I prefer bar soap as does the majority of the world.  I base this claim on the amount of shelf space provided to these two kinds of products at supermarkets and pharmacies.

troytraveler Silver

I am fan of bar soaps.

nationwide Platinum

Isn't it hard to use them without a spoon?    (note your preference for bar soups).

troytraveler Silver

haha good catch nationwide

zunilily46 Platinum

Just stayed at the NYC Marriott Marquis and they provided both bar and liquid soap. I prefer bar soap and Marriott's are nice.

expat123 Gold

A bar soap, smell, shape, size, color, milled or French milled  tells you a lot about the hotel. A quality hotel uses a quality bar soap. Liquid soaps all look the same but they do have a place and that is in a public bathroom.

mustanggt Platinum

Call me old fashioned, but I love bars of soap for hand washing and showering.  The bar soap is sanitary and gets refreshed daily.

troytraveler Silver

I just don't using bar soap in public bathrooms. As long as the soap is for personal use, I am fine.

seachi Platinum

As someone who has developed rashes from the bar soap in the showers, I too wish that more liquid-based soaps were made available.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

The RCs will usually give you both bar soap and a body wash.  Autograph Collection tends to do the same.  I've never gotten body wash at a Marriott flagship or Renaissance, but Marriotts sometimes give you a THANN liquid hand soap.

I don't think any of the non-FS properties give you a body wash.

THANN gives me a splitting headache, but the way.  Too overpowering.  I'll take Aveda, Bigelow, or Asprey or even Paul Mitchell any day over THANN...

troytraveler Silver

When i stayed at the autograph hotel, ST Ermins in London, I only got liquid soap.

ojay Platinum

I don't  get how a new bar of soap you use in a hotel room is unsanitary.

Having said that, I do prefer a liquid version over solid. Mostly because I find I waste too much solid soap during my one-night stays. The liquid seems like a better portion for me.

insertcoffee Platinum

Actually, no, everyone in fact does not know how 'unhygienic' bar soaps are for private use.

I prefer the bar soap, when it is of a high quality such as usually found in Marriott properties. I would absolutely not wish to have to use liquid soap at the vanity nor in the shower.

What is in the common spaces is, of course, another issue, and I can't remember the last time I saw a bar of soap in the US in a public or common area. When we went to Defcon levels over the bird flu awhile back, even grocery stores started handing out gel soap and wipes, and pretty much was the death knell for bar soaps in common spaces.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...