6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2016 8:22 PM by nationwide RSS

My Marriott Gold status is matched from SPG gold status, am I eligible for Platinum challenge?

rgt0820 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

My Marriott Gold status is matched from SPG gold status, am I eligible for Platinum challenge?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: My Marriott Gold status is matched from SPG gold status, am I eligible for Platinum challenge?
    deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi rgt0820,

Thank you for reaching out. Have you made any stays at Marriott hotels since matching your SPG status? New members have to have made stays before their account is eligible for a status challenge at any level. If you have, please send me a private message with your Rewards number and I will have our team check your account for eligibility of enrollment. If you have not made any stays at a Marriott, please reach back out once you have.

Thanks again, and welcome to the community!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: My Marriott Gold status is matched from SPG gold status, am I eligible for Platinum challenge?
      nationwide Platinum

So, deannad, a Gold SPG Member, who conceivably could have as few as 10 eligible stays (as few as 10 nights) to reach that status, can make 2 stays (at a night apiece) and then qualify for a Platinum Challenge at Marriott?  Am I understanding you correctly?  So, for another 9 stays (again, as few as 9 nights), the status matched SPG Gold member can grab Marriott Platinum for a total of about 21 nights between SPG and Marriott? 

Please help me understand this - the dedicated Marriott Rewards Gold member has to have spent 50 nights to achieve that status, and their SPG counterpart can achieve the next level higher (Marriott's top status) with less than half that minimum amount for Marriott Gold.  Further, why wouldn't all the Marriott members go nail down status with SPG, if they can come back and plus up at Marriott for less than a third of the effort (21 vs 75)? 

I am really hoping I've misunderstood.  Please clarify for me.  Thanks!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I doubt you misunderstand, nationwide, Marriott has purchased Starwood and one of its assets is its ferociously loyal SPG scheme, or rather the membership. SPG has much lower elite entry points because if it's far lower footprint and Marriott recognises that most SPG elites have at times to stay outside the brand simply because Starwood doesn't have a great footprint and is doing everything possible to ensure that those stays end up at Marriott hotels, with the hope that they will then explore the other Marriott brands hence easing wary SPGers into the combined company and increasing stays within Marriott Corp. Thus the imbalance...

nationwide Platinum

brightlybob, I certainly understand the imbalanced approach on the status match.  I know Marriott needs to woo them   I've also read from many SPGs on FT how jilted they feel.  I had never done the math though, contemplating a status challenge, and just how easy that would/could be for a Starwood guest to achieve Platinum at Marriott.  The Marriott faithful get the short end of the stick, so they should go run up easy status at SPG.  Lifetime pursuit would be the only thing keeping you in your lane, but 21 nights is a small sacrifice to pay for platinum status...  I'm just surprised that status challenges are being offered on top of an already very, very SPG favorable match... 

erc Platinum

Actually as peymanagement wrote a few days ago, it's even less than 21 nights.

"yes you can as my wife who has a supplementary Amex card, got SPG Gold, Marriott Gold and Hilton Gold in one day and has not had a credited stay in any of these hotels".

I no longer invest intellectual energy on 'fairness', instead I keep an eye on what is actually being done, in anticipation of what might be done. I'm more concerned (as has been shown in the past) that Marriott, whose properties are below Starwood prices per brand and Loyalty Programs benefits are less than SPG's; increase prices toward Starwood's and reduce SPG benefits toward Marriott's. (Concierges/Ambassadors services and 4:00 pm checkouts for purposes of impressing SPGs notwithstanding).

Here's a look at Marriott first quarter rate comparison from 1st Qtr. 2015 to 2016

http://chainhotels.com/first-quarter-2016-hotel-rates-by-brand/

ChainHotels.com | First Quarter Hotel Rates by Brand

Marriott (North America Systemwide)

Hotel Brand Average Daily Rate         2015                    2016

Marriott Hotels                                   $123.78              $180.18

Renaissance                                      $119.51              $169.49

Autograph                                            $175.61              $226.47

Ritz-Carlton                                        $272.05              $386.55

Courtyard                                               $92.18              $136.99

Fairfield Inn                                          $67.98              $106.62

SpringHill Suites                                  $83.09               $118.83

Residence Inn                                    $101.78              $139.05

TownePlace                                            $71.63              $103.73

Total                                                     $104.12              $150.15

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...