31 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2016 4:13 PM by donk71 RSS

Review of Lovely CasaMagna Marriott Resort Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just returned from another outstanding week in paradise at the Puerto Vallarta Hotels | CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta. This resort is a special place for me as my first visit was in 1990 about a month after it opened and have enjoyed returning quite a few times over the years.  The Associates, good sized comfortable rooms, the location in the Marina, the gorgeous Sierra Madre Mountains, expansive views of Bandaras Bay and the perfectly manicured grounds make it so easy relax and enjoy a vacation.

Sunrise over the mountains

20161205_075220.jpg

Darn, they still come out sideways, but you get the idea

20161208_170238.jpg

The last three years I've been part of a five person golf team (1 Pro/4 Amateurs) that play an International Pro-Am, great fun with great friends, new and old alike once we are all on site.  The organizers of the tournament make all the accommodations and then I send our team names and Reward numbers to the "MAN", Simon who is the Chief Concierge at the resort and he makes sure all of us on our team are set for our stay. .  As usual the Sunday and Monday arrival days are quite busy for the hotel with some 400 golfers, some wives and others that descend on the place and there was Simon helping out in any way possible.

Three of us arrived at the hotel around 1230 PM to register and sign in for the tournament.  My room was not quite ready so we went to Champions Sport Bar in the resort to watch football and grab a bite of lunch.  Myself and another from out team are Lifetime Platinum Members and we were surprised to meet Lizbeth Torres our own person Guest Services Manager......AND she had the Platinum Arrival forms (remember those) so I selected Wine and Cheese with Crackers to be delivered to my room.  Soon she was back with my room key and told us if we needed anything at all to call her, now that is what I call great costumer service.

I went out to the front entrance where all of our luggage was being watched over by the friendly and helpful Bellman only to find Simon asking me for my bag tags.  Before I could get to my room a Bellman was walking right behind me dragging my golf travel bag and luggage.  And yes, ssindc I had to check luggage as they still for some reason will not let me take golf clubs and put them in the overhead bins on a plane.

Our entire stay was incredible as always.  Everything you could want is right there in the Marina as well as one of the three golf courses we played.  Friendly people all over the place and not a moment of anyone feeling less than completely safe.

Places to eat in the local area all of which are excellent that we visited again this year just to name a few:

• Sonora Prime
  • Sticky Fingers
  • Chappy's
  • Porto Bella
  • Benitto's

The weather was stunning, very low humidity, temps high 70's low 80's in the day and mid to low 60's at night with a gentle breeze.  My balcony overlooking the pool on the "Thornton Wing" (named by Simon and his Staff in honor of our very one Insidertryt53) was great to enjoy in the evenings with some Wine before heading out for dinners.

20161208_184821.jpg

The three days we had morning rounds of golf it was fun to visit with friends and fellow golfers in the pool and hot tub both of which as meticulously maintained and good sized.  The service from the Waiters at the pool is top notch and the drinks are well poured for sure!!

20161208_151311.jpg

After a nice dinner in the Marina or Mikado's at the resort we would enjoy the hot tub some or lobby bar before heading to the rooms to prepare for the next round of the tournament.  The Marina is lovely with huge yachts to drool over if you're a boater and if not enjoy a Rita regardless.

20161205_180234.jpg

The resort even comes with it's very own "Watch Kitty", well not much watching happening, but she is a cutie for sure.

20161205_201755.jpg20161205_205057.jpg

It is so nice to see familiar faces at a place you return to have them remember you.  A few of those who have always been wonderful with their service, friendly professional personality, always smiling and cannot do enough for you that I want to especially thank:

• Simon of course for putting up with us and helping out on every level
  • Lizbeth Torres who took excellent care of us as well and gave special help to one of our team who needed it one day
  • Juan or pool Waiter who didn't miss a beat always having a drink or beers ready
  • Arturo in the Lobby Bar which has been remodeled very nicely and is huge
  • Daniel one of the Bellman who always said hello by name and gets us squared away with airport and golf course transportation
  • Valentin my Housekeeper who kept the room spotless and left fun notes in the room

Leaving town Saturday afternoon, the CasaMagna is before the tall white buildings, great spot.

20161210_124417.jpg

As for the golf, well we didn't come in this year in the top three of our flight like last year, but each two of us posted scores in the 70's, and one day a golfer beat our Pro and a few others.  All in all a really fun event on Marina Vallarta and Vista Vallarta courses which the later is in the mountains.

If you've not visited this wonderful spot in paradise you should, just avoid the first week of December 2017!!!  You've been warned.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Marriott Hotels & Resorts CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
  • Re: Review of Lovely CasaMagna Marriott Resort Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
    donk71 Platinum

Thanks for posting this. I'll be at the CasaMagna in Cancun soon. I hope it turns out as well as yours!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Wow! What a great extensive review IAHFLYR!  I'm humbly honored by Simon's affectionate naming of the wing.  Really, I think it comes from years of asking for the same groups of room numbers, and he finally figured it was easier to refer to as the "Thornton Wing", than to put those number ranges all the time LOL.  I see you had about the same room that we had a month ago. The view from the room gives it away

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Great post, IAHFLYR

• glad you checked your luggage/golf clubs!!!
    • some of your photos need to be flipped/turned

THANKS for sharing!!!!

AZDesertRat Platinum

IAHFLYR  Thanks!  Another great trip report and wonderful photos.  Really looking forward to getting to Puerto Vallarta one day and before we go I will be reviewing your travel accounts to plan the trip. 

seatexan Platinum

Can't believe they didn't let your gold clubs on the plane to hang out in the over head, pfff! Find a new airline!

These pics are great! Even sideways, you can tell the place is amazing.  The last picture of the watch cat is funny as it looks like Watch Cat is doing a silly cat thing into a pillow. Too cute!

Sounds like you will just have to go back next year and win your way into the top 3!

Great post!

rufrt12 Platinum

Hey, I have a couple of questions that you might be able to answer.  Like you, I'm also a lifetime Marriott platinum.  I have never stayed in a Marriott resort hotel like this one which seems to cater to tourist and not the usual Marriott business crowd:

1.  Does this place have an executive lounge?  Also, does this hotel compensate you for breakfast?  I suspect that because its a resort type hotel, then there is neither executive lounge nor guaranteed breakfast.

2.  Have you been to the Westin which is very close to this Marriott?  If so, would you recommend it?  How does it stack up to the Marriott?

Let me know.  Thanks.

Hi rufrt12,

Yes this resort caters to every guest regardless of the reason for the stay, it is just how the Associates have been trained, yet I'm sure the tourists are the majority of their business.

1.  No, the resort does not have an Executive or Concierge Lounge.  They do not compensate for breakfast so your suspicion is correct.

2.  I've walked into the Westin down the street and found it to be very cold looking, not the open airy bright feel you get at the CasaMagna property.  I would definitely recommend the CasaMagna Marriott Resort, but should the Westin undergo a renovation I'd take a look at it most likely though remain at the Marriott.

rlswider Platinum 7 Reviews

In the off season there is a sand dollar rate which includes a 50 dollar a day allowance for food and drink at the hotel  --- that 50 dollars covers the great morning buffet breakfast for 2, Breakfast is more like brunch in this case as it includes many lunch type items as well and is open late. While there is no  lounge In my mind that rate helped to make up for the difference.  --- They have a rate now thats like the sand dollar

• REWARDS MEMBERS Resort Special - available October 15, 2016
      • through March 31, 2017
      • Includes a 75 USD nightly Resort Credit (Resort Credit is not
      • cumulative)
      • Resort credit can be used towards food and beverages (excluding
      • mini-bar)

That's some great info rlswider, good stuff.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

rlswider and rufrt12, we just came back from a stay at the end October, using that exact promo with the $75 credit every day.  It is the first time they have ever offered that great of a daily bonus, and it was marvelous.  I am starting to watch for it, or the $50 credit everyday, to show up for the timeframe we are looking at for next year.  We have already found one for the end of October for 2017 for the SandDollar $50 credit, and booked it.  Now we will just watch through the year for a better promo (such as the $75 credit) to come up, and if it does, then rebook it.

tryt53 I think they should just name the entire resort in October for you two!!!

bacon14 Platinum

I'm hoping to make the 1st week of November again next year too!  Threw in a couple of reservations with the sand dollar rate just in case.  I have to say the coconut margaritas over at Victors Place in the marina were absolutely delicious! 

We used to LOVE Victor's as you'd get a shot of the worst Tequila around when you asked for anything.  But last year we had horrible service and the tip reflected it.  The Waiter chased the five of us down and demanded more of a tip which he did NOT get, so no more Victor's for us as we will stick to Sticky Fingers and Chappys' along with 4 Sapori.

bacon14 Platinum

I have actually heard fairly mixed reviews on Victors regarding food and service.  But the coconut margarita with reposado tequilla was really delicious. Where would you recommend for great margaritas for our next trip?  Sadly, the ones we got at the hotel were not very good. 

bacon14,

The two places that I'd go for Margaritas are Sticky Fingers in the Marina and kind of a weird spot the golf course right across the street from the CasaMagna.  Go to the bar in the restaurant and have them make one however you like it, they are outstanding.....and it's really close also.

troytraveler Silver

Have you ever traveled outside the resort?

nationwide Platinum

IAHFLYR, looks like you had yourself a great trip buddy!  Glad to see it!!!  Thanks for the great detail and the pics too!  Sure seems these Marriott properties like having guardcats around - I keep seeing them too! 

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

What wonderful photos, IAHFLYR!  Apologies for the wonkiness of photo layout.  We're taking another look into this to see if we can find the fix.  I do have to ask, were these pictures taken from a camera phone?  They have great quality!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Man!!!! This place is calling my name! I'll just be sure to drop the two VIP name's IAHFLYR and tryt53 to Simon prior to checking in.  Great job here, IAH, the resort should send you a free coupon for your write up.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...