11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2016 3:02 AM by Snail5930 RSS

Elite Night Credit for a stay that bridges the calendar year 2016/17

tplace1 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

So I have a stay at the end of the year (Dec 27-Jan 4) that I'm using points for. I understand that point/redemption stays count toward elite status (good), but how will nights count when my stay goes between calendar 2016/17?

Will the nights of Jan 1-4 count for my 2016 elite credit? If it counts, I'll just barely trip back over the Platinum threshold, but without those nights, I'll have just missed and get to carry over a big chunk of nights (which I guess isn't a bad thing).

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Elite Night Credit for a stay that bridges the calendar year 2016/17
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I don't think the nights in January will count for 2016. My guess is the December ones will. Perhaps someone who has stayed over a similar period in the past can comment.

As for the last part of your post, if you miss renewing your Platinum status and are dropped to Gold, you will not carry over any nights. Note the 4th bullet point on "Key Information" on the link below regarding rollover nights.

Elite Rollover Nights FAQs Page

It states "If a member downgrades to a lower status (e.g., Plat to Gold, Gold to Silver) there would be no rollover nights."

Sometimes Marriott will extend your status if you come close to the needed number to renew. How that is decided, I don't know. One other possibility would be to "buy back" your status in 2017. In past years, the cost has been 40,000 points to keep Platinum status.

Hopefully, someone can shed a bit more light on how a year end stay is credited. Just be aware that if you miss the cut off, you will not carry over a big chunk of nights.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

If I recall, several years back I had the same scenario. Both points and nights are awarded based on the last day of the reservation, hence all will be posted to 2017.

troytraveler Silver

Your 2016 nights will count for 2016. Your 2017 nights will count for 2017.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

You may wish to consider two reservations to split the nights to the individual years - do the math and see if this would help you achieve your goal.

etwhite Platinum

I have a trip starting on Dec. 27th through Jan 3rd.  I called Guest Services to get some verification and they told me that the 5 nights stayed in 2016 will count towards 2016 status and the 2 nights in 2017 will go to 2017. I think we need some help from NathalieF or carat to verify who is correct.   If the nights in 2016 don't count towards 2016, then I'll make 2 reservations.....

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi Insiders!  Any dates stayed in 2016 will count towards your 2016 Elite Nights.  This is not dependent on your checkout date.  Feel free to reach out to any of us community managers if you run into issues with this. 

etwhite Platinum

Thank you for clarifying  carat...

tplace1 Platinum

Sorry, maybe a little dense, so the 3 nights stayed in 2017 are INCLUDED in the 2016 credit?

Or was your clarification more around the nights stayed prior to end of CY16 only?  That those nights will count toward 2016, and the other 3 are start of 2017 tally?

etwhite Platinum

The nights stayed in 2017 count towards 2017 status not 2016. I was concerned about the 5 nights that I'm staying at the end of December.  I wanted to make sure that they counted in 2016 so they rollover again as elite nights in 2017!!! I have LTP but I'm always leery that Marriott will change the qualification sometime down the road or simply add another tier.  So I figure 5 additional nights can't hurt...

Snail5930 Gold

Last year, from 31.12 to 3.12 I was in Marriott Vienna. After that one elite night was added to the 2015 and 2 elite nights were added to 2016.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...