19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2016 6:57 PM by iahflyr RSS

What do you dislike about the Marriott website and what would you like to see?

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We have a new crew that seem to really be interested in helping us.  So lets try again.  Many of us have complaints about the website.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What do you hate about the Marriott website and what would you like to see?

When the site times out, it does not send a message to let you know.  I type in info and it comes back and asks me to give my password and when I enter it, it forgot what I had entered.  Please give us a message that we have timed out so we know before we type in stuff.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What do you hate about the Marriott website and what would you like to see?

It used to list all reservations.  Then they "IMPROVED" the site and show 3.  You need to click the mouse to show all reservations.  Then it shows 5 and you need to click on the mouse to "again" all and it finally does show all.  I would like to see all immediately.

I hate using the mouse.  We used to be able to enter the date and that was it.  Now one must click a menu and if we are looking 11 months in advance must do 11clicks and then for the last date often we must click several times as well.  Example:  check for a date in Nov 2017 followed be a date in Jan 2017.  One must click 10 times for the start date and another 10 times for the end date.  The site is for us and should be convenient for us not the programmers.

I want to be able to type in the date and do an Enter and be done.

A long time ago, we could request along a route.  No more.  Give it back.

Hilton allows us to enter all discounts that we qualify for and it finds the best but shows them all.  Please give us this.

homoviator Platinum

1. That when you are making the reservation, the last button to hit after putting in credit card is far down on the bottom.

On a lap top, it sometimes doesn't show up in the browser (because the visible space is smaller than on a desktop). I've accidentally hit the cancel button instead of the reservation button, because it was so low I couldn't see it and it's not as initiative as the cancel button.

2. the lowest price doesn't always show up on the price tabs, you have to hit select the hotel and

sometimes there is a lower price either for marriott reward members or pre-pay.

At the same time, if the lowest price is a pre-purchase, it might make people upset as well.

3.  Rather than have the bed sized listed as double, list them by measurements. This is especially true for beds in

foreign countries, unless marriott is actually consistent around the world. Maybe that's the case, but I don't feel like I

ever see "queen" listed in other countries. But I do know the measurements of beds so I can figure out what I'm getting.

4. include a blurb that says something like, "gold members get free self-parking". If a hotel offers that, I'm more likely to use it. I had one hotel that I had wanted to go to and I finally decided I would pay for the resort fees.  Once I got there, they gave me a discount on them for being gold/plat.  Had I know upfront, I would have gone there earlier and now that I know, if I'm in the town, I'd go again. You can make it something that only appears if you are logged in as a gold member.

5. If there is a resort fee, be more clear on what it does include (besides internet ;-( )  I tend to be pleasantly surprised when I see that it includes more than I expect (like an hr of kayak use). Again, had I known from the beginning, the hotel would have been more likely to have gotten my money earlier.  My number one interest, if It is near or on a beach, does it include chairs and an umbrella on the beach? Sometimes you can assume from the images, but not always.  Sometimes beach toys/intertubes are included. Let me know ahead of time so I can be better prepared.

6 move the "meetings and events" button. How many people really use that. It just gets in the

way and sometimes I hit it accidentally thinking it's the reservation button.

7.  Get APPLE PAY! and be able to use it at the hotels too.

That's enough to chew on for a while.

homoviator Platinum

And I want to reply too, I don't really hate it. Otherwise many of us would have left. Annoyed, a bit. But as AZDesertRat mentions, I went a couple of years before learning about the Marriott Insider--it's been valuable to both Marriott (they get my money) and me (I get a better understanding of the system). We all here have a very symbiotic relationship with Marriott. 

At the same time, I don't want everybody knowing about MI site. The one and done crowd is annoying because they doesn't really contribute to the dialogue (they complain about how they were wronged) and rarely are they high Marriott users.  Maybe you push it more with individuals once they hit silver or gold?

The Marriott Matrix is an apt name. We all spend too much time in the Matrix likely. But I think part of the appeal is that we are all highly intelligent people and it becomes a puzzle to solve.  We are curious minds and are looking for mastery. How many of us have been on this site when we are working on the road? We want to think but not be doing work.

AZDesertRat Platinum

Hate is too strong a word for me in this context, and anything can be improved, excepting brightlybob's lounge critiques and bejacob's county collecting accounts.  I would like to see a user's attention called to the existence of the Marriott Insiders site and its benefits.  Some of us went years before learning of it.

erc Platinum

californian

Knowing how you, like me, spend hours in the infamous Marriott Matrix, I feel your pain. You and homoviator make excellent recommendations.

... with a wise old guru meditating in silence from the top of a mountain  But like AZDesertRat so wisely writes, hate is pretty strong. You've ridden camels, elephants, kissed polar bears, and dined at the finest restaurants in the globe - you ain't doin' too bad .

Unlike you, I'm so worn out by the minor irritants that grow the more you utilize the system, that I don't have the energy to post any suggestions (especially given the payout - NOT!). However for as many thousands of times I've entered the matrix, I sure would like to find the Hotel Directory easier than it is now (this is one of my pet peeves about colleges - they have a web site and don't on the front page show where the school is located, but that's another story for me and my therapist ).

I will say this, as I bang around the Starwood site (and feel like Hansel, lost in the woods), there is one tool that I think is way cool (and in my dreams, visualize Marriott implementing it - right after reinstating BOGOs) and that is the Immediate Phone Call and I do mean immediate - wow, that's good stuff. Click a button and they call you (and so far it's been intelligent, competent, helpful reps). No doubt a future cost savings for the global leader in lodging.

AZDesertRat - good point about better promotion about Insiders.

erc  I like the idea of getting a call.  As the site becomes less user friendly, it takes more time to search for deals.  Give it back to the professionals.  In doing so, save my arm.

I know how you feel, I posted that Marriott might be doing away with resort fees, which has been a big deal on this site, and didn't get a single response.

erc Platinum

californian

Yeah, we all have our hot buttons. One of mine (to go with AAA/Sr. rates being higher than standard ) is the decline of Insiders input ever since the brain trust (prior to current team) jammed into the threads Baseball Story and Hotel Review Contests (and to add insult to injury, then removed our legitimate Insider hotel reviews).

It fascinates me what currently draws significant participation like the forum used to prior to the Contests Death Spiral; What did you get with your megabonus, Did you get an upgrade, Did you get your birthday credit, Do you like puppies (oops, Spencer's dog didn't score too highly) etc etc.

When compared to actual travel reports, often going begging for 100 and 150 views and those views frequently requiring active monitoring by the OP to keep the thread alive, it's understandable why we see fewer and fewer travel reports (myself included), especially when combined with some of the technical headaches involved as IAHFLYR points out 
        Posting of Photos, Why Can We Not Rotate Them on Insiders?

Gone are the days when a write up about a trip would generate 2,000 or more views and because of the larger audience and their input, an entire trip itinerary could be crafted.
        London - An Insiders' Primer for First Timers my entire London trip was essentially planned using terrific Insider input.

Oh well, the good news, the forum is still good for keeping us posted on upcoming changes and if specific info is ever needed, readers (and moderators) are rock solid about supplying excellent ideas.

seatexan Platinum

Wooooo! thanks for the London post.  There is so much on this site that I don't know about.

It seem this site is going thru a revamp.  I will be excited to see what they come up with.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Insiders, "keep on keepin on" and I do hope we start to see more travel reports and hotel reviews here soon.

As for the website, well let me just say it seems to change frequently enough that just when you get used to some type of page showing up, poof it's gone and you get a new look just like the "Find and Reserve" tab.  Yesterday when the window opened it wasn't in the huge font it is today nor did you have to select the number of guests using a -/+ symbols.

And then you have the rate page that is getting so difficult to use that I'm about to call the Platinum line to make a reservation one of these days.

UPDATE:  Now the reservation page tab "Find and Reserve" has reverted back to what is has looked like in previous months!! 

Message was edited by and is confused by: IAHFLYR

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I'll have to tag along with erc and the "Hotel Directory" being easier to use.  The less clicks I have to make the better the chance that I will find what I'm searching for and book the room rather than close the window out after being disgusted.

There must be more that I'd like to see changed so let me go and fiddle with some reservations and get back to the thread later.

AndrewT Could you please change the word "hate" to dislike.  Repetitive motion syndrome has hit me, as many others.  Clicking on the mouse causes pain and after working the site for a while, I am not in a good mood.  At that time, I do really hate it.  Poor choice of words for others.  Hope that maybe we can get Marriott's attention to improve the site and make it more user friendly.

troytraveler Silver

I want to see an option where i can track the hotel prices over a period of time.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Another one who gets really irritated by the "timed out" search that loses your info and leaves you having to re-enter your search from scratch after relogging in. That and the login to Insiders, page to Marriott,com, click community, and still not logged into Insiders. Annoying glitch that!

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

They have really made some lousy "upgrades" to the website over the last few years. I wish the dates would auto update when making a reservation. When I select a check in date, have the check out date automatically set to next day. When I am looking at a summer vacation then I go back to making a work reservation for next week, the system doesn't change check in date. I have to manually skip back 6 months-or I get a 180 day reservation.

• Re: What do you dislike about the Marriott website and what would you like to see?
    nipper Platinum

Not specifically the website, but the Marriott Android app requires me to log in again a couple times a week.  If I didn't like mobile checkin, I would remove the app.

As with most users, this is on my personal phone and not a shared system.  Why there is not a setting to Stay Logged In is beyond me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...