6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2016 11:03 AM by seatexan RSS

30 Days - Did Members Get It?

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As a marketing hobbyist, I enjoy viewing and participating in promotional events. Here is some data about the recent 30 Days Members Get It that Marriott, the Global Leader in lodging, offered us.

Perhaps a bit flat for an organization that produces buzz creating entertainment events and promotes through press releases its innovation, it seemed to run out of gas near the end. With the exception of the first day social media points, (which came with Marriott's signature technical challenges) there didn't appear to be much excitement throughout the online customer base; Insiders, Facebook, or Flyertalk - either Marriott or Starwood. 

Any additional Insiders thoughts and insights are appreciated.

Editor's note: the (?) denotes IMO, given the prices, an offer not sale
Also, Day 29 - Marriott Gift Cards were sold at a price of 2,500 points per $10 card increments. The day to day price of buying Marriott points is $12.50 per 1,000 points (1.25 cents per point). Marriott essentially implements an arbitrage premium (like currency exchange) to its loyal customers
(those friendly enough to give Marriott their e-mail address or participate in Insiders). At $.0125 per point, 2,500 points would buy  $31.25 worth of gift cards. This is the 250,000 points for $1,000 ratio increase from when it used to be 135,000 points for a $1,000.

DAY         EVENTS                                 VIEWS               COMMENTS  

1           Connected - Social media pts             1647                      71
  2           Link Marriott & SPG accounts               390                        9
  3           MegaBonus sign up                              591                        8
  4           Gaylord Hotel                                       296                        6
  5             Honor Veterans                                    352                        9
  6-7          Travel Tips                                           346                        3
  8             Shop Marriott-beds, sheets                   254                          0      
  9             Shop Bose, Yeti, Kors                           265                        3
  10           Marriott Credit Card                              361                       1
  11          Marriott Mobile App                              234                       4
  12          Travel Stickers                                      504                      11
  13-14     Shop Gifts - drones, wine                     233                        0

15          20% off Marriott prices (?)                     227                        0
  16         Shop - Apple, Beats, Ray Ban                256                       0
  17         35% off Hertz Rentals (?)                         160                       0
  18          Cruises - Savings/Double Pts.              1393                       0
  19-22     Marriott Cyber Sale                               348                        1
  23          Shop - FitBit, GoPro, Bose                     215                        0
  24          Hamilton Tickets/Dinner                        168                        0
  25          10% off NFL (?)                                       112                        1
  26          Marriott Credit Card Referral                 206                        1
  27-28      Twitter Points again                             164                        0
  29          Shop Gift Cards                                      112                        1
  30           Shop Ipads, Lego, Bose                         157                        1

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 30 Days - Did Members Get It?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Well, I earned 525 MR points over the 30 days. First there was the 475 Twitter bonus. When I initially signed up, I got 25 which later became 500 points, so after a number of complaints, Marriott decided we would be given the difference. The other 50 points came from the holiday tweet (days 27-28).

Most everything else was old stuff presented as new

• get the MR credit card
    • download the mobile app
    • shop Marriott
    • the experience marketplace

The buzz wasn't bad. The deals were not so great. I looked at what was new most days. I just didn't find anything worth buying (for cash or points). Actually, that's not 100% accurate. I did donate points to Hotels for Heroes, though I did it a couple weeks before day 5 (Veterans Day).

I liked the idea of the 30 days of Member Get It. Given what was presented, it could have been 12 days (of Christmas) or 8 nights (of Hanukah) or some other festive variation. It seems 30 days was a bit of a stretch.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

Yes, I agree with you about no real significant deals. As a veteran Marriott participant having been through several of their other "promotions", I wasn't necessarily expecting giveaways, so I was more disappointed rather than irritated.

I receive in my e-mail Holiday/Festival/Year End Promotions from several retailers. Take for example Total Wine. Each day in December I'm receiving 'deals'. Now it may be for something that I have no interest in, but it is actually a valid deal. So when they do offer a deal on a beer or wine that I want (as they have) I have no problem with the other days, because I know they are truly offering savings and not just pushing advertising.

As much as it would be great to relive the Glory Days of Marriott deals - BOGOs, real Point Savers, real Elite Offers, Gift Card Bonuses (as listed above right in the More Like This -10 bonus points for each $1 of gift card purchase) etc, I'm not expecting Marriott, given the current lodging demand, to provide those. It would be nice though, if like you say, they shorten the period (and hype) and somewhat sweeten the offer into becoming a deal rather than a 'sponsored' ad.

monisame Platinum

Good Job!!!!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I viewed these 'Members Get It' deals as much ado about nothing. A lot of advertising nothing better than they do at other times and social media stuff they push for their millennial base. For example...the hertz 35% deal we can get anytime anywhere. It was a 'no deal' day. Linking accounts, megabonus sign up, et al...a lot of advertising. And the (?) 'deals' you refer to as offers and not sales was a 'right on' descriptive.

Yes, it would be nice to see the 'real deals' come back they did in years past but I agree those days are over. I too get real deals from certain vendors I do business with during the holidays (like Keurig 30% off for one day only on brands they never give deal pricing on.... now that's a significant deal). It would be nice to see marriott do something special like that for their 'frequent' bed floppers.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I skipped participating - in fact, when I read the initial blurb and it mentioned "anything social media" I immediately ignore it. I am not a social media regular participant and do not want to become one, either. So these marketing tactics are always useless to me.

seatexan Platinum

Nice break down! Looks like things just totally ran out of steam near the end.  The only thing I was really interested in was the social media points gathering and to see what prices were going to be for the flash sale.

Most of it was not a "deal" - just a lot of old news.  I like tef6178's words "no deal" day

Quality not quantity. I think 30 days was too much of a struggle to fill with good content.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...