6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2016 2:28 PM by nismoztuner RSS

Platinum Elite Stays

gdiamond Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have just earned Platinum Elite status...yeah!

My family and I are planning to travel to spend the 2017/2018 Holidays in London and Paris. If for some reason I do not make Platinum next year and I am on a stay from Dec. 28 - Jan. 2, will Marriott force me out of my CL room on Jan. 1?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Elite Stays
    droma Platinum

Congrats on reaching Platinum!  Your status will be good through February of the following year, so your stays over New Year's won't be impacted.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gdiamond Platinum

Thanks for the help and info!

nationwide Platinum

gdiamond - congratulations on your shiny new platinum status!!!  We can't wait to hear about the adventures you embark on with your new benefits.  Status changes don't happen in January, rather, they are compiled in January and new status actually starts in February.  So, you will be fine in the event you don't renew as platinum.

There are a number of ways to keep status though, key among them are getting the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa card (gives you 15 nights a year + 1 night for every 3k spent), platinum challenge (9 stays in 90 days), or simply buying it back for what has been historically 40k points.  You would only drop back one level to Gold status if you don't make it next year, so that's something to keep in mind - it's considered a soft landing to back you up just one level.

Hope this helps!  Congrats again!

nismoztuner Platinum

i`m 3 nights away from becoming platinum, I want to be platinum at time of check in on my SF new years trip 12/31.

so say i dont manage another 75 nights during 2017, i can do a " platinum challenge (9 stays in 90 days)" to keep my status for 2018?  is that a target offer or anyone who is platinum?

nationwide Platinum

nismoztuner, If you are going to be platinum for all of 2017, you wouldn't lose it until Feb 2018 (according to current practice).  That said, 2018 is apt to be the year of program merger, so I think you want to enter 2018 with the highest status possible.  According to current rules, anyone falling back a level could either buy status back, or take a challenge to pursue / attain status.  Those rules could all change in 2018 with Marriott/SPG becoming one Marriott program.  So, I would be reluctant to count on status through a challenge or buy-back in 2018 because the rules may change.  My earlier advice was intended to demonstrate that Marriott has created a few paths beyond just 75 nights in a Marriott bed to attain/retain platinum status.  gdiamond was only concerned with the first week of 2018.  You are concerned with the whole year.  Hope this helps! 

nismoztuner Platinum

Thanks for your reply,  I see what you mean- I have yet to merge my SPG account (I havent used it since i made it) with my Ritz Carlton account. 75 nights during 2017 shouldnt be too difficult, I started my platinum goal kind of late (around August) so it was a bit of a challenge for me.

I usually stay at Ritz Carlton when i go out for long trips (assuming the prices arent too high) I look for the cheap dates to take my vacations. During Sept I went to Puerto Rico 10 nights(got 20 nights) at $196- I also did the 120K point challenge.  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...