26 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2016 5:11 PM by mustanggt RSS

Just short of Platinum Elite status

vpat Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am currently at 65 nights and have scheduled 7 more nights at Marriott.  My Birthday is also in December so i am planning to call to get one Elite night on my b'day.  This still leaves me 2 nights short of becoming Platinum Elite.

Does MR make exception to those that are so close to meeting the requirement?  Are there any ways to make up 2 nights without actually booking stay that is not really needed.

Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Just short of Platinum Elite status
    mustanggt Platinum

Sometimes if you call Marriott Rewards and very NICELY plead your case, they will make an exception and grant you platinum status.  With regard to your birthday night credit, make sure your birthday is listed in your profile and also make sure you have checked ALL the boxes about receiving emails from Marriott including partner companies.  If you fail to do this you will not qualify for a birthday night credit.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vpat Platinum

Thank you mustanggt for tips.  I have now updated my profile with appropriate information.

Additionally, now that SPG and Marriott have merged, can anyone comment if a few nights spent at Westin (part of SPG) can be counted towards MR Elite status?  I have transferred points after merging accounts but still nights are not transferred.  I am looking to only two additional nights.

Thanks.

chris0311 Platinum

Unfortunately those nights won't count with Marriott elite status. The programs have not been fully integrated as of yet.  Please let us know the resolution to this. I am curious to see if the whole calling and asking nicely bit will work  

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

My guess is that you will not be granted Platinum status despite coming so close. Now, if you were already Platinum and just missed reaching 75 nights, I'd say you'd have a better chance of having your status renewed.

The other thing to consider is rollover nights. If you did not have any rollover nights from last year, you would begin 2017 with 23 rollover nights (those in excess of the 50 needed to be Gold). If you did have rollover nights from last year, you'd have to remove those from the calculation. The reason this is important is that is will help you as you work to reach 50 nights next year to retain your Gold status. Likewise it will be a boost toward reaching Platinum next year.

Really the only sure way to get to Platinum would be to find two more nights (as inexpensively as possible) that you don't really need. Good luck. We'll be waiting to hear what you decide and how it works out.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

one point I needed one night to get to ten for the challenge and booked a cheap night. I went and checked in and left so never stayed but got the credit. I don't think you would get credit for a no show

kaush Platinum

Can't determine from your post if you have a Marriott credit card.

A Marriott credit card may be too late for this year. But it may be worthwhile getting one for next year (i.e. if you don't already have a Marriott branded card). The Premier Visa will credit 15 elite nights to your account every year. Also, every $3000 spend on the card credits an additional night in to you.

peymanagement Platinum

It is worth while calling them up I got to 73 in 2011 and they gave me platinum. but as bejacob says, if plat is important to you, book two more stays...I think you will get it at 73 this year if you call and plead your case very nicely.

j&c Platinum

Call and ask for a Platinum Challenge. Lots of discussion on this topic by others on this board. C

nationwide Platinum

vpat, I tend to agree with j&c, a Platinum Challenge may be just what the doctor ordered.  If you don't want to spend 2 nights unnecessarily between now and year's end, then it might be prudent to sign up for a Challenge.  Take a look at your travel plans from now through the end of February, and if you can make 9 stays, then you can knock out platinum.  The beauty of that, is that you would have 23 rollover nights coming from 2016, and you would have platinum for the balance of 2017 and all of 2018.  It's important to note, that's 9 separate stays, so you might have to move hotels a bit to pull it off if you are like most folks.  Good luck with your quest for platinum!  Let us know how you make out and what you decide to do. 

frances Platinum

I just reached Platinum.  Not sure if I understood you correctly, but do I automatically get toleover points starting in 2017?  This is my first time reaching platinum so I am trying to figure out how it works and what I need to do to get the most of this level.  Just realized my birthday may not be in my profile since I did not hear anything from them and my Birthday was this past Sunday. 

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi there,

Reaching Platinum status does not come along with any sort of bonus Elite Rollover Nights. However, you will most likely have some nights rolled over into 2017, based on the the following "formula" that determines your Elite Rollover Nights:

• Total nights earned at current year end – Any expired rollover nights from previous year – Number of nights needed to renew status = Number of rollover nights.

Additional information on this topic can be found at the following link: http://www.marriott.com/marriott/eliterolloverFAQs.mi

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I'm not certain that this is true, but I have been told that they also look at your three year average and if you have averaged some figure in excess of 65 nights for three years, you are given gold.  I'm also not certain if this rule applies only to people who are already platinum of if it applies to all.

Does anyone know if such a rule exists and if so does it apply to all or just to those who are already gold?

insertcoffee Platinum

Marriott does not publish these kinds of practices, much like 'rules' for Platinum Premier.

OP: I wouldn't waste a challenge on being two nights short, since a challenge requires stays anyway.

I'd do the following:

1.  Call and see if someone will do this for you. Do know that at this time of the year, everyone and their Mother wants an exemption to qualification rules. You may or may not have success, and that will depend entirely on who answers your call, and to some degree,, your history with Marriott.

2.  Consider buying up with points.

3.  Consider staying two more nights in an actual Marriott. This is really the shortest line between two points.

4.  If you are running out of calendar, roll over the nights and get a head start on next year.

I've been told of this policy by Marriott employees, twice..  Once I was told the threshold is an three year average of 60 nights and the other time I was told 65.

I also saw a post on Insiders once, where the post referred to such a policy  for people with a three year total of 200 nights.

I've never seen any such policy in writing.

takingthehighroad Member

Not sure what you current status is with MR, you can try calling MR, but you might have mixed results. (Remember, if you don't get the answer you want on your first call to MR, don't argue, hang up and try again!)  I think MR looks at a lot of factors when determining whether to push you over, including how long you have been an Elite, annual spend, 3 year average, etc.  I kept Plat status for two years without even hitting 50 nights, but that was in 2008 and 2009 when business travel was down.  Now that business and leisure travel are at record levels, MR might be strictly enforcing the nights required for status.  Keep in mind, this bump up is usually a one time exception, so if they do it for you this year, you might be denied in the future when you really need it!

If possible, I would consider doing a mattress run to get the two nights.  Depending on the Metro area you live in, you can find some cheap rates this month at a lot of Marriotts because of the Holidays.  Around DC, I have seen rates as low as $57 per night (non-refundable of course).   If you can't find anyone to do a mini-staycation with you, you can check in for a two night stay, go to the room, hang the, "Do Not Disturb," sign on the door, and leave.  Then use the app to check out on your scheduled day of departure.  Trust me, you won't be the only doing this.

I have also read where some have booked a conference room at a smaller Marriott (CY, SHS, FFI) for a few hours at minimal cost (between $50 and $100) and gotten a few nights of elite credit from the hotel.  If you do this, make sure that any agreement about elite nights credit is in writing.

With big changes coming to the combined MR and SPG programs in 2018, you want to make sure you are able to achieve Plat status again next year, so the comments about rollover nights should be considered as well.

Some have reported their status has been renewed for 2017 already, so keep checking your MR account before you book a mattress run.  MR may surprise you with an early Holiday gift.

chris0311 Platinum

I don't know if this helps any but before October I was sitting at 30 nights for the year. My plan was to hit 50 at the end of the year and then just buy back Platinum. Then I received an email from Marriott with this great promotion.

Capture.PNG

So now I retain Platinum with 11 more stays which I will achieve during my end of the year trip to Doha, Thailand and Dubai. Easy peasy!

I do wonder though why I was offered this great deal. Earlier comments suggest a average night stay model but I doubt that applies to me. Quick mental math would have me at around a 50 night average over three years. I am not a business traveler, all my travel is vacation/leisure. I also don't have any of the credit cards. The only thing I can think of is if it was revenue based. I shell out some serious cash during my stays.  I stay at the high end properties, book suites and I am not shy about using the bar, restaurants and room service. Very intriguing.  

erc Platinum

If I'm Marriott, you're exactly the type of high margin customer I'm trying to attract and encourage additional loyalty out of (at no expense to other lodgers). You're young and will pay for value and represent tremendous potential as a referral base of likewise travelers. A platinum promotion/retention for you has far more incremental value to you than it does cost to Marriott, a favorable outcome for each (just don't eat my waffle in the concierge lounge ).

Congratulations on a well earned promotion. Go man, go.

Where did you ever get a waffle in the CL?  Omelets, occasionally,. but no waffles, has been my experience!  You have to move up to an RI or FI to get waffles!

cmeyer Platinum

My 4-yo son got waffles for breakfast in the lounge at the JW Marriott Marquis in Dubai last week.

The staff in that lounge is simply amazing!

mav Platinum

I will honestly say, in MY experience the hospitality in the Middle East is second to none! Amazing service wherever I stayed, or what ever brand I stayed at.  . Glad you enjoyed your stay at the J.W.. I know it was great!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Consider burning some points on two weekend nights with your significant other. Points stays now count as nights, so the cost is zero (other than the points).

vpat Platinum

just wanted to thank all for reply.  i ended up with 76 nights (incl. birthday credit) so did not have to call MR for exception.  my trip got extended so ended up with one additional night.  First time Platinum Elite so look forward to it.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Great news! Glad to hear you made it. Now the fun begins. You get to do it all over again. On the plus side, with 76 nights, you'll get to rollover 1 night (assuming you didn't have any rollover nights from 2015).

Congratulations on making Platinum.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well done and congrats on making Platinum. Now you can plan how you'll redeem those extra points!

nationwide Platinum

Congratulations vpat!  Glad to see you were able to do it without an unnecessary stay, a challenge, or having to rely on the mercy of Marriott!  We can't wait to hear about your Platinum adventures next year!

Happy New Year & Safe travels!

mustanggt Platinum

Well done vpat. By the way, if you don't already have a Marriott Rewards CC from Chase you should definitely get one.  You will receive one elite night credit for every $3,000 of spending.  This will help you achieve Platinum status for 2018.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...