61 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2017 9:23 AM by bobking RSS

2016 Earned Points?

nationwide Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

How did you earn your points this year?  I was looking at the circle graphic on "My Account" page, and it tells us by percentage where we earned our points in 2016.  Specifically, Marriott tells me that I earned my points 49% Hotels, 23% Bonus, 28% Credit Card, 0% Events, 0% Social, 0% Badges, and 0% Transfer.   This is on what I am approximating as about 480,000 points this year.  How about you?  Where did you earn your points?

• Re: 2016 Earned Points?
    AZDesertRat Platinum

I have earned 232,174 points so far this year from:  13% Hotels, 11% Bonus and 75% Credit Card(s), bringing me to 78 total stays as of this morning, when I reached Platinum for the first time.  Making lifetime Gold is my objective for 2017.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nationwide Platinum

AZDesertRat, congratulations on hitting Platinum!!!   That's a major traveling milestone!!! How close are you to your Lifetime Gold target in 2017?  Everybody seems to either have a shortage on the points or the nights front as they near these key goals.  What's it looking like for you?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

AZDesertRat Platinum

nationwide  Thanks.  Never thought I would make the lofty Platinum level, but the business credit card made it possible.  I'm a late starter at this, as I only recently discovered the Marriott Insider site and learned more about how to earn points in various ways, such as the birthday credit, double counting on rollovers, meeting planning, Mega Bonuses, etc.  At this point, I have 470 lifetime nights, but am well short of the 1.6 million points needed for lifetime gold.  [My tip jar says:  "Point Transfers Gratefully Accepted"]

nationwide Platinum

AZDesertRat, keep us posted on your progress as we get deep into next year!  We are all team players here, and aren't about to let you come up a little bit short. 

natural_log Platinum

That would be unbelievably nice of you!!  But the only way I would get to that point is if I was just short and the merger was changing the requirements.

This does make me think of a potential loophole.  Suppose you transferred a bunch of points to me.  If they count towards my LTG then I could make that status.  Could I then transfer the points back to you and still keep the lifetime status even though my lifetime point total would go back below the threshold?

Also, while I am on the topic (and moving off the original topic), does transferring points in from another credit card (such as the Chase Sapphire) count towards lifetime points?  I am just looking for other arrows to pull out of the quiver that might work.

bobking Gold

I have enough nights for lifetime platinum but am shy of the 1.6 mill points for lifetime gold by about 150,000 no idea how that could happen.

mustanggt Platinum

bobking My guess is that you are staying primarily at the lower cost brands such as Courtyard, RI, Fairfield, etc. where you are generating a lot of nights but not many dollars.  This is not an unusual situation for many business travelers that by corporate policy cannot stay at upper end full service properties such as JW, Ritz, Autograph, etc.  One way to help accelerate your point accumulation is by getting and using the Chase VISA Rewards card and by taking advantage of the various seasonal megabonus promotions that Marriott runs.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Agree with your view. I stayed a lot at full service Marriotts and accumulated a lot of points . 

bobking Gold

You are correct, I stay at primarily Courtyards. Partly due to corp travel budget but also because almost all the rooms are identical. No stubbing toes in middle of the night. :-)

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

nationwide

Interesting post, my percentages are very close to yours:  45% Hotels, 17% Bonus, 37% Credit Card, 0% Events, 0% Social, 0% Badges, and 0% Transfer.

mustanggt Platinum

My breakdown is: 38% hotels, 9% bonus, 53% credit card.  Thank you Marriott Rewards CC!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

My percentages are 43% hotels, 33% bonus, 24% credit card, 0% for the rest. I still have one more credit card cycle before the end of the year, so those numbers could change slightly. Points earned should come in around 265k for the year once those last CC points hit.

My final points for the year are now in. The percentages did change slightly.

41% hotels (down 2%)

34% bonus (up 1%)

24% credit card (unchanged)

Everything else is still 0%, but I suspect they sum to 1% as the first three categories now only add up to 99%. I did earn some points on badges, social, and transfer (the points I bought to confirm that purchased points do count towards lifetime status - Re: Do Purchased Points Count Toward Lifetime Status), though likely not enough in any one category to reach the 1% threshold. Total points came in just under 278k for the year.

peymanagement Platinum

That is a great year bejacob, especially considering none of it was employer paid. you must be getting close to life time gold now.

I ended at 267K with one night left, which was a surprise for me as the mega bonus was on the soft side this year. Almost an equal balance between the tree categories for me, my stay points being down with the weaker C$ and most of my stays north of the border.

LT Gold is still a couple years away for me peymanagement. I'm about 150 nights short (that's achievable in 2 years) and a bit more than 550k away (that's 2-3 years most likely). I expect to pass the LT Silver threshold in 2017 (short about 164k at the moment) as I keep working toward LTG and eventually LTP.

peymanagement Platinum

oh you are in my boat. I am on track on nights but well short on points,

mustanggt Platinum

Keep using that Marriott Rewards CC!!!

curiousone Platinum

2% hotel, 86% bonus, 12% CC. It looks like when I convert my MVCI time shares to MR points they fall into the bonus category. Also, transferring SPG points to MR points appears to fall into the bonus category. I ended the year with just over 1M points. Waiting for Jan 2 to do a SWA travel package with 7 nights of Cat 8 and 120K SW RR points (for my flights) and 2 years of free flights for my wife. Once Marriott announces category changes for 2017 I will book some hotel stays under the 2016 point values to use up most of the remaining points.

peymanagement Platinum

For me with some of December left, I was 38% Stays, 36% bonus and 26% Credit Card. Zeros for the rest. I Have earned 243K points but expect to end the year at about 265K and 110 Nights. I am higher on stays this year vs. last year and down on bonus.

etwhite Platinum

I'm currently at the Albuquerque Marriott Pyramid . I was killing time in the room waiting to head to the airport and read this post from nationwide.  I've never really paid attention to the breakdown, but found it intriguing that I'm the only one so far with "Social".  I would have thought that came from linking to Facebook, Twitter during the 1st day of that crazy 30 day program Marriott ran.  Here is my breakdown: 42% Hotels, 30% Bonus, 28% Credit Card, 0% Events, 1% Social, 0% Badges, and 0% Transfer. (last work related travel trip this year!!!!!)

nationwide Platinum

Wow!  Nobody else could get that category to go past .5% to push it up to 1!  Fascinating!  I wish we could see exactly how many points they were counting in each category. 

nationwide Platinum

etwhite, congrats on wrapping up work travel for the year!  I have one more stay next week, and then off to the JW Marriott in Los Cabos to celebrate the holidays with the family!  Now that's the kind of travel I don't mind packing for!  Happy holidays!

etwhite Platinum

Thanks nationwide. It's funny, but we did a Christmas trip out West for 14 years to celebrate Christmas. As we got older, it became apparent that it was a lot easier to carry a towel to the beach vs. carrying ski's!!!  So the last five years we have headed for warmer weather with our daughter and son for the holidays.  Safe Travels and Merry Christmas....

whodatplatinum Platinum 1 Reviews

48% hotel 15% bonus and 36% CC.  A down year for me as our business was in a down turn this year.  Didn't travel as much as I usually do.  Only 50k points and 30 nights a way from Lifetime Platinum!!!

Snail5930 Gold

Very interesting in Europe things look slightly different. Points 263K, Hotels 95%, Bonus 4%, Social 1%, all others 0%.

Snail5930 Gold

Very strange. I received this message :

Moderation Notification

Your content has been approved: Re: 2016 Earned Points?

whodatplatinum Platinum 1 Reviews

they look over your comments and approve before it stays on the page.

nationwide Platinum

Snail5930, the absence of credit card points sure sticks out here... you are right, quite different! 

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I will end up with 60% hotel; 30% credit card; and 10% bonus.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Marriott tells me that I have earned points with the following breakdown.

58% from hotels:  79% Credit Card:  -37% Bonus.

I did spend about 360,000 points this year on lodging and I guess they are counting that as a negative against my bonus.

nationwide Platinum

Thats a wild one! 

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Wow, phctourist, I don't think it's redeemed points. I've cashed in over 600,000 and have no negatives appearing.

I'll take mine out a couple of decimals to capture the real deal!!

Hotel.. 50.94%...............306,629

Bonus..26.16%..............157,480

Credit Card 22.27%.......134,028

Social... 0.61%.................3,650

Badge...0.02%...................100

I'm calling Base earnings, 50% Plat Bonus and Plat arrival gift as Hotel.

Bonus is Mega types and individual hotel offers

Badge is the 100pts earned from the two badges added this year.

Social is anything MR Insiders related, including the Twitter type stuff.

cubbiebear Platinum

I have been a member for 11 months and have earned 265,000 points with a 57% Hotel, 43% Bonus. 73 nights thus far.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

My earnings include:

Hotels             33%

Bonus             39%

Credit Card     27%

All The Rest     0%

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

In 2016, I did not have any paid stays, so all of my earnings were "Bonus."

Of the 208,172 points earned, 58,172 were via Credit Card; the remaining 150,000 points were also categorized as "Bonus" but the description was "TRANSFER FROM MY SPG ACCOUNT" - - not really a bonus, was it?

rlswider Platinum 7 Reviews

My earnings include:

Hotels            55%

Bonus             6%

Credit Card     39%

All The Rest      0 %

--- Made poor use of the bonuses this year  ---

natural_log Platinum

My account shows 29% Stays, 13% bonus, and 58% credit card.  I am finishing up a week long trip so the points should go up slightly. 

What I am more proud of is that I reached Platinum this year with only 18 paid nights!   Yes - it can be done.

As for lifetime, I am working towards LTG and should make it this year.  I am short on points.  My geeky tacking Excel spreadsheet predicts I will make it in Nov 2017.  LTP is beyond 2018 which is post merger to who knows what's going to happen.

j&c Platinum

J's account shows 47% Stays, 22% bonus, and 30% credit card at this point.  I did a quick review and believe that we will reach Platinum this year with only 32 paid nights - most under $100! C

troytraveler Silver

Did anyone obtain their status traveling for vacation only and not for work?

I did. No business travel at all for me in 2016.

2016 rollover.PNG

In the last 5 years, I think I've racked up a total of 5 nights on business.

Virtually all my travel is leisure.

troytraveler Silver

May I ask where did you travel to Ben? and what was your total spending at marriott hotels?

Let's see, where have I been in 2016.

Well, one way to answer that is for me to recommend my blog

Brian's County Collecting Blog  (there are about a dozen entries for 2016)

or perhaps my year-end wrap up County Collecting 2016 - the Year in Review

I had Marriott stays in Tampa, Orlando, Valdosta (GA), Savannah, Hilton Head, Cincinnati, Columbus (usually at the airport before an early morning flight), Dallas, Aruba, Charlotte, Jackson (TN), Memphis, Jonesboro (AR), Cincinnati (again), NYC, Denver, Pueblo, Toledo, Cedar Rapids, Omaha, Des Moines, Bloomington (IL), Wichita, Hays (KS), Fort Myers, Waterloo (Ontario), Racine, Minneapolis, Houston, Corpus Christi, Harlingen, San Antonio, Lebanon (NH), Burlington (VT), Plymouth (NH), Avon (OH), Boise, Elko, Provo, Twin Falls, Marietta (OH), Atlanta, Cleveland, and Jeffersonville (OH). Most of these were mentioned at some point in the blog.

If I'm not mistaken I had stays in 20 of the 40 states I set foot in during 2016 (the others I passed through without a stay) plus Aruba and Canada.

So, 60 nights (2 certificates redeemed and 58 paid nights) across 15 Marriott brands. Approximate spend at Marriott for the year was $7,500, not bad for that the number of nights. Not a single night on business.

etwhite Platinum

Wow bejacob !! I don't know why, but for some reason I thought your "County Collecting" was business.  Having  accomplished hitting all those places and none of it being worked related is very impressive.....

AZDesertRat Platinum

troytraveler - Interesting question.  All of my 19 paid stays were leisure travel, including one trip to northern Arizona (3 stays), a touring trip in Colorado (5 stays) and one presidential libraries trip in Southern California (5 stays).  This year, all of my legal work has been within Arizona, and I didn't have any court appearances in remote counties.  Grateful for the rewards power of the Marriott Visa cards.

mustanggt Platinum

troytraveler I started using Marriott after I retired and earned LTP strictly on leisure travel. 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Reaching LTP on strictly leisure travel, wow very impressive mustanggt, very.

Up until retirement in late in 2012, I was about 65% business with quite a number of two week stays and the rest leisure travel with the Wife.  Now all is leisure of course and the points don't grow quite as fast.  But the government sure helped me get to LTP so I'll thank them for them for that perk.

Here is my 2016 travel with Marriott and there was also two nights at a Hampton Inn in Chapel Hill, N.C., for a UNC basketball game.

• Hotels 63%
    • Bonus 12%
    • Credit Card 25%

dherold Platinum

77 nights for the year.

Points 62% Hotels, 16% bonus 22% credit card

Two more years like this and I will get to lifetime platinum status.

jmel Platinum

Nights Detail

0 nights needed to renew Platinum level

• Nights stayed126
      • Paid:125
      • Redeemed:1
    • Bonus nights131
      • Promotional:80
      • Rewards Credit Card:30
      • Rewarding Events:0
      • 2015 rollover:21
    • 2016 Total                      257

53% Hotels

10% Bonus

37% Credit Card

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay with Marriott on every trip in 2016, but coming into LTG range next year - will have to maximize points, currently only at ~676K.

nationwide Platinum

@jmel, that's an impressive year!!!  You'll hit lifetime in no time at all at this pace!  Curious, what were the 80 promotional nights?  I usually only see one there for the birthday elite night promotion.  I certainly haven't ever seen that many!  Happy holidays!  Hopefully, you are getting some rest at home from your time on the road!

mustanggt Platinum

My thought exactly nationwide.  I have only one night from my birthday credit (which by the way posted 24 hours after my birthday). 

My guess is promotional is where the double nights credit hit for those lucky Euro's!!

nationwide Platinum

AH!  I'll bet you are correct!  That makes sense! 

mustanggt Platinum

Nights really add up fast that way!

jmel Platinum

Yes, I live in Japan, so I was eligible for the "Double Elite Night" promotion - it's a fantastic promotion!

nationwide Platinum

Updating my percentages after final stays of 2016.  They moved slightly from the beginning of the month: 

48% hotels, 26% Bonus, 25% Credit Card with the remaining categories 0%.

131 total nights on the year    2017 promises to be another busy travel year, and I look forward to staying at a few Starwood properties early in the year to take advantage of the Double Points promo on both sides of the house!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Nights Detail

0 nights needed to renew Platinum level

• Nights stayed75
      • Paid:59
      • Redeemed:16
    • Bonus nights52
      • Promotional:42
      • Rewards Credit Card:10
      • 2015 rollover:0
    • 2016 total 127nights

• Hotel stays 54%
    • Bonuses 38%
    • Credit Card 7%
    • yes, I know that adds up to 99% but that's Marriott's official figures....

Jsucool76 Gold

cheater checking in. I'm nothing without my credit cards.

• Nights stayed 27
      • Paid:19
      • Redeemed:8
    • Bonus nights 33
      • Promotional:1
      • Rewards Credit Card:32
      • 2015 rollover:0
    • 2016 total: 60

Hotel Stays: 12%

Bonus: 20%

Credit Cards: 66%

Social: 2%

Earned 213,619 points

Will definitely hit platinum next year. Was too lazy to book 2, 1 hour meetings at my local CY.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Nice to no longer have to hit yearly numbers but still managed 59 nights of which have were paid

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...