9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2016 3:32 AM by brightlybob RSS

Can You Add Nights to Travel Package?

droma Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone know if you can add nights to a 7 Night Travel Package?  I am considering booking a package to top off some airline miles, but would like to stay 10 nights.  If you add 3 more nights using points, is the 10th night free (aka you only have to spend two more nights worth of points)?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Can You Add Nights to Travel Package?
    nationwide Platinum

paging brightlybob and tker!  Aren't travel packages areas of real expertise for you gents?  Let's help our pal droma out here. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

1) You can add nights (cash or points) to the travel package

2) No you don't get the 10th night free (it's regarded as a 7 plus 3 not two 5s)

3) As long as they are consecutive nights, be sure to look at each of the $$$ rates. Sometimes a night (especially weekends) can be cheap enough that you don't want to use your hard earned points.

Here's a key tip to know: Your seven nights DO NOT have to be consecutive. They just have to be used in an unbroken stay. For example: You use the expensive M-Th on your travel package, pay for Friday and Saturday (maybe even Thursday depending on the rate) and come back to the 7 night travel package for the rest of your nights. Now this is so esoteric that some customer service reps don't know this - so keep talking until you get one that does.

nationwide Platinum

Great advice erc!

starryeyedwonder Platinum

re: 7 nite pkg  breaking up with pkg and cash:  I like this, and will use if possible.  Can you also do this with a 5 nite package?

Thanks

erc Platinum

If you can get one, yes. Theoretically, the five night package is for timeshare owners only, and as a DC resident trained in the ways of the three letter agencies around here (and by anadyr) I have nothing else to say .

droma Platinum

I've read a bit on these as well, the 5 night travel package with an extra 5 night redemption on top might be the ticket.  That translates to the necessary miles and about 1.5 free nights.

droma Platinum

You guys are quick, thanks for the information, very helpful!  Will definitely be doing some wheeling and dealing looking at all the options

dp86 Platinum

Hi,

I am also trying to do a 7N on Singapore Airlines (SQ) + Ritz Carlton Tier 4-5. I noted there's 4 categories under this Marriott program

Questions are as follows

1) Which one should I be following ? I am intending to travel on a business class

Tier 4-5  470,000 , 490,000 , 520,000 , 540,000

2) Are the packages for 2 adults?

3) Do we need to pay Airport Taxes using this program?

4) Anyone tried SQ to SFO and transfer to Grand Cayman?

5) Best value miles + points to travel on this route via SQ

Do hope if someone can assist

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

HI droma. and dp86

There's actually nothing I can really add to erc excellent summary answering droma question save that I have indeed redeemed a 7-night travel package and added 3 nights to it making 10, so it's perfectly possible to add nights to a travel package.

The value behind the travel package is that for most airlines it works as a 7-night hotel cert costing the appropriate points linked to the hotel category or tier purchased and the opportunity to buy airline miles at par. This can be stonking value, to give you any idea the only hotel program that transfers its points to airline miles at par is SPG yet a Plat-75 only earns 4 SPG points per $ spent, as opposed to 15 at Marriott. Marriott does also offer 5-night packages though this redemption offer is supposedly only for timeshare owners, and you don't end up buying the miles at par, they're a little pricier, but if you dont need 7 nights and if you can find an assistant prepared to break the rule then they could be right for you.

Hopefully the explanation above assists you dp86, and to add to that I would confirm that the miles part of the travel package are transferred into your frequent flyer account to spend as and when you wish, you don't have to spend them on the same trip as you redeem your hotel certificate. Furthermore, Singapore airline miles are costlier so don't transfer at par. Now to answer your questions:

1. The redemptions you state are for the 7-night Ritz certificate valid at Tier 4 or 5 Ritz's. 7 nights at a Tier5 Ritz costs 420,000 points, then Marriott gives you the opportunity to buy 35kSQ for an extra 50kMR or 50kSQ for 70kMR or 70kSQ for 100kMR or 85kSQ for 120kMR. So a Tier 5 cert and 35,000 SQ miles costs a total of 470,000MR but for the same cert and 85,000 SQ miles the cost is 540,000MR. Assuming you can use the miles the best way to unlock the value in a travel package redemption is to go for the biggest amount of miles.

2. No, they're for a 7-night hotel certificate and airline miles

3. I can't help concerning the taxes, fees, routing and value on Singapore Airlines as all those depend on airline rules I know nothing about SQ, other than its oddly named its scheme Krisflyer!

I hope this helps, folks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...