11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2016 2:59 PM by YogiB RSS

Ritz Carlton 5 nights 100 Euros dilemma

dmut Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I will be in Istanbul for 4 nights.  The Ritz Carlton is 161 Euros per night.  However, if I stay for 5 nights it is 100 Euros per night.  My question is if I book for 5 nights, but then at the desk say i am leaving a day early, then do I have to pay 161 or will the 100 euro rate be honored?,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Istanbul, Turkey The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Istanbul
  • Re: Ritz Carlton 5 nights 100 Euros dilemma
    homoviator Platinum

that's a fantastic price. It made me take a glance at the hotel!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

You do risk being repriced-although I think its unlikely. There is a Marriott near Dulles that is $279 during the week-including Thursday night. But, I can get Thursday for $71 if I add Friday at $71. So, I just book both nights.

My advice, just leave and don't check out. That way you aren't breaking any rules. Set up to have your folio emailed. You can even get an advance copy.

YogiB Platinum

Reading these stories make me frown a lot.

Simply wondering: how do you discover these conditions/deals?

dmut Gold

I actually chased the airfare rather than the destination.  Turkey room rates have been low for a year.  Airfare from SLC in  March was $450 RT to Istanbul.  I grabbed the cheap air and then worried about the hotel.    The 5 night change in hotel rate was pure accident.  I thought I was staying longer than I actually am. 

We go to that hotel often when flying out of Dulles for vacation-international destinations. (We live in Baltimore.) Sometimes we leave Friday, sometimes Saturday. We found this WAY back when Marriott had the BOGO's for weekend for Plat members.. (I miss them) Anyway, some hotels allowed you to add Thursday-if Thursday provided a weekend rate when a Friday night was part of the reservation. So, I tried it here. And it worked. We go there for a long weekend etc. Great area. Why the frown?

dmut Gold

TKER,

That frown is a smiley face on my screen.  ha.  Thank you for the fantastic information.

I think my reply was just a few minutes before yours dmut. YogiB said these stories cause a frown. Sorry for the confusion.

YogiB Platinum

I normally shop for dates I need to travel and not more than that. I never noticed anything being promoted as "stay Thursday and get discounted on your Friday" or something like that.

I was wondering how to discover such deals other than selecting the wrong days by mistake and noticing the huge difference in price.

I do remember having seen weekend rates in the past, but it's pretty rare these days (or maybe just in the hotels where I'm staying at).

erc Platinum

YogiB

As effective as the Marriott pricing algorithm is for maximizing revenue, there are the occasional anomalies (sometimes advantageous to the lodger, sometimes to Marriott). I would not spend time searching for them, they are few and far between. They are often discovered when searching your specific dates and trying different combinations of the nights (sometimes two reservations for the stay are less expensive than one for the entire stay). Sometimes you can find rates using flexible dates when the hotel appears unavailable using specific dates and other goodies abound in the Marriott Matrix of pricing torture. There is nothing sweeter in playing against the man, than booking a rate that's never seen again - yeah baby   (but that's an old timer's game with plenty of time on his hands, you've still got places to go, people to see, and things to do ).

Rates featuring Thurs/Fri and a weekend night are the most likely candidates for pricing quirks, but often it's where the first night is reduced from a stand alone price (i.e. Thursday) not the 'sweet spot' pricing that dmut found where the last night lowered the entire bill (and as peymanagement wisely advised, you just leave and keep the savings). My initial stay at the ResInn in Houston for Tipple (I relocated to the JW when the meeting was moved) was $97 a night for Sat. and Sun when their Sunday rate was $279. Fortunately I was staying Saturday, but I have often seen similar examples where I was only coming in Sunday - ouch.

And as far as you getting surveys in French, heck, they probably know what language your dentist speaks! (just like we know why your name is Yogi ).

YogiB Platinum

But French is 'only' my third language. You might think they would choose my first or second? Especially if one of those actually is the same as the one interpreting the results has as a first language.

monisame Platinum

I think that you have got a sort of promotion. "Stay More and  Save More". Just read the terms and conditions of the rate booked. Usually the reservation terms informs  that a change of the period reserved will increase the rate. Enjoy !!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...