5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2016 7:57 AM by nationwide RSS

Another lounge bites the dust

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Checked into one of my favourite hotels Edinburgh Marriott and the lounge has closed just like the Newcastle gosforth park a few months previous this is a bad thing for plats and gold  members and has just caused me to rearrange 10 stays over to the hilton brand all hotels with great lounges thank god for the status Match hilton ran last year with over 100 nights a year staying in hotels it seems its Marriotts loss and hiltons gain  is this trend limited to these 2. Hotels or is Marriott watering down the lounges ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Another lounge bites the dust
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I remember a couple of years ago there was a highly speculative thread that Marriott was going to close international lounges. I pooh-poohed that at the time and Marriott later intervened stating there was no such intention. Outside London there used to be 8, with the demise of Newcastle Gosforth and Edinburgh 25% have disappeared and only 6 now remain namely:-

Aberdeen

Bristol City

Cardiff

Glasgow

Leeds

Leicester

Manchester Airport

So, carat, NathalieF, AndrewT and deannad, can you cast any light on this? 2 UK lounges closed in November, any reason why? Is it part of a wider plan? Or are they being deflagged (they're older properties) and taking the opportunity to "give you the bird" during the final year?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Thanks for tagging us in, brightlybob!  We're checking around to see if there is any additional information surrounding the UK lounges.  We'll be sure to let you know what we're able to find out.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi doddsy69, brightlybob, and all,

The Edinburgh property does not have a concierge or executive lounge at all for Elite members.

The Gosforth hotel does have a concierge lounge that is open 7 days a week.

doddsy69 - if you would send me a direct message with your Rewards numer and the dates of this particular stay, we would be happy to look into this further and try to determine why the lounge would have been closed at that time.

Thank you

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

Yes the lounge is still open at gosforth I've stayed 3 times in the last 3 months but there's no offerings only water and coffee

nationwide Platinum

doddsy69, yes, as you aptly point out there are rooms called lounges (with no offerings), and then there are real lounges

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...