4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2016 11:58 AM by brightlybob RSS

Help

bleau5 Member
Currently Being Moderated

I need some advice. My girlfriend and I stayed at the Fairfeild Inn in Dallas TX last night(26th) and when we woke this morning we realized we needed to stay another night. So I called the front desk around 10am and let them know that we needed to extend our stay. She told me that since the room was booked through expedia that I needed to contact them. She also told me that "checkout was at 12 and not a min later". So I took a shower and called expedia around 11am, which was a nightmare! On hold for 45min and then trying to explain I needed my room for another night, etc.. At 12 I'm still on the phone and the lady from the front desk starts knocking on the door and told me girlfriend that we needed to leave now! I put the phone down and explained that I was still on the phone with expedia, but was almost finished. She said she didnt care and that we needed to leave NOW!.Then stands at the door with her foot holding the door open whiloe we packed. My girlfriend embarrassed, just walked down to the car. When I got everything pack and was walked out I asked the lady why she was being so rude and disrespectfull, her response "because checkout is at 12". She also told me that when we get the new reservation to let her know. I told her that in fact the reservation was complete but I would be calling expedia back to cancel because I refuse to stay at this hotel and she said thats fine, sounds good. Keep in mind that this hotel had maybe 5 cars in the parking lot, so she was just harrassing us because she wanted too I guess. Long story short when I called expedia back and canceled the reservation, i realized that the refund wouldnt be back on my card for 3-5 days, and I dont get paid untill tomorrow at midnight. So we are kinda screwed in getting a room.. Any suggestions PLEASE!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Help
    insertcoffee Platinum

You have a couple of issues at play here.

First of all, however many cars are in the lot at noon is not indicative of how full the hotel is going to be that night; however, you were able to make a reservation through Expedia, so clearly there was at least one room going to be available.

Not sure why you didn't ask to make a one night reservation through the hotel itself, as a separate reservation, rather than going through Expedia to extend.  Likely you were under the gun with Nurse Ratched standing at the door. Since you made the rez through Expedia, there is nothing Marriott can do insofar as speeding up your refund is concerned once you cancelled. Expedia is not related to Marriott in any way other than a third party business relationship, and has no ability to escalate refunds there. Perhaps your credit card provider can give  you a credit increase, even if smallish, to give you room to cover another room night somewhere, especially as they can should be able to see that you have the credit forthcoming. You have no real dispute with the credit card company regarding the actual charges, and your stay seems unremarkable until the point where you wanted to extend.

The treatment you appear to have rec'd at the property is, to say the least, unusual. I'd certainly report it both to Marriott and to TA, and perhaps one of our mods on the board, such as carat AndrewT can assist with determining what happened at the property and helping out with a review process. You appear to have no status (not that would excuse boorish behaviour by management), so I'd not expect some enormous windfall of points to assuage your bad feelings.

As for your checkout time:  this property sounds as if they're not working with the late checkout program, although you are supposed to request same on check in. Perhaps they had no housekeeping after hours. Regardless, the rudeness was not necessary in order to effect their wish you not linger.

It is regrettable this happened to you, in particular that you were not in a position financially to have a good Plan B.  I hear fewer and fewer good stories coming out of Fairfield Inns.

Let us know how this works out.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Excellent points you made insertcoffee and like you am curious why the OP did not simply make a new reservation with the hotel while they were there on site long before the noon checkout time!

Yet another reason why I simply do not use third party bookings for anything.  I know it works for some I'm just not one to experiment when plans change as they do from time to time.

Yes, bleau5 please do let us know.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi bleau5.  So sorry to hear of this experience!  While we cannot speak to the Expedia reservation due to the third party nature of the booking, we would like to address the way you were treated.  I have reached out via direct message for additional details to provide support.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Sounds pretty dang poor treatment by the FFI Dallas, TX.

I can't answer for the receptionists attitude but I can certainly say that you don't have to go to your original seller to book an extra night stay at any of the big chains. Just go to the hotels website for your extra night. Your problem I suspect is that same-day bookings tend to provoke a very high price from Marriott.com. And if you had a cheap night and wanted to extend it at that cheap rate then the hotel may well simply take the view that their offer for the night is on the website and if you think you can get it cheaper elsewhere then you are welcome to do so. In the absence of a further reservation your checkout time is however 12noon.

The fact that your girlfriend beat a hasty retreat suggests it all became heated and I sense a "rock hitting a hard place" conflict here. Once that occurs attiitudes harden, here it seems to everyone's detriment, you had a night in the car after cancelling your Expedia rate, the hotel lost a nights revenue for the room. Nobody won.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...