5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2016 10:25 AM by mav RSS

Lucerne, Switzerland : Renaissance Lucerne Hotel vs The Hotel Lucerne, Autograph

keplertracker Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi fellow travelers,

I'm visiting Lucerne next August.   My family of five will be staying just two nights.   We're the adventurous types (lots of hiking, biking, walking and eating too!) and am wondering what the best Marriott property to stay.   Location to public transit, comfortable beds, and the perks of being a Platinum member are the three most important considerations.   I'm leaning on using my points, but I might pay for them if the rates aren't too bad.   Neither property has a room that sleeps 5 so I might just go with two rooms. 

If anyone has stayed at either hotel, I'd love to learn some tips on the hotels and what you liked/disliked about them.    So which one would you pick : the Renaissance Lucerne or the Hotel Lucerne, an Autograph property?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Lucerne, Switzerland Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Lucerne Hotel
  • Re: Lucerne, Switzerland : Renaissance Lucerne Hotel vs The Hotel Lucerne, Autograph
    mav Platinum

I stayed at the Renaissance Lucerne for 5 nights using points in July of 2015.  I am a Platinum member and booked the smallest room, but the hotel gave me a lovely upgrade to a Jr. Suite. I was EXTREMELY surprised, and VERY happy! The hotel in only about a 5 minute walk to Lake Lucerne, the train station, and about a 10 minute walk to old town. It's very well located, the staff is wonderful, and they have Swiss chocolates in a bowl at the front desk which is constantly being filled . I do admit to enjoying the chocolates every time I left or returned to the hotel, and the staff was nice enough not to watch me make a pig out of myself .   Breakfast was complimentary as I am Platinum, there is no lounge, but that is not a deal breaker for me.  They have paid discounted parking for guests that have a car, but I don't remember what the cost was.  I really enjoyed my stay. While you are in Lucerne, be sure to see the Lucerne Lion statue. The staff will give you directions.  I always take a walk to see it whenever I am in Lucerne. Amazing statue, very poignant. I usually spend about half an hour to an hour looking at it.   Enjoy your trip!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lucerne, Switzerland : Renaissance Lucerne Hotel vs The Hotel Lucerne, Autograph
    mrjohne Platinum

Hi Keplertracker,  I agree with MAV on his review.  I travel to Lucerne a few times a year to visit family and have enjoyed staying there.  It's very convenient to the train, restaurants etc.  I hope you have a fabulous time, Lucerne is a beautiful city.

mav Platinum

Hi,   

Glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel as much as I did. I have VERY fond memories of the bowl of chocolates. Btw, I'm a she.

mrjohne Platinum

Oops!  Sorry Mav.  I stayed in Zurich a few months back but this time we're staying in Lucerne.  I can't wait for my morning coffee and roll from Bachmann's!

mav Platinum

Oh , ENJOY!!     BTW, I  called ahead of time to ask politely if possible and there was one available  could I have a complimentary upgrade because I was a Platinum member, and they said it was a very busy time of  year, but they would note my reservation. I told the person that answered the phone I understood, yes it was a VERY busy time of year.  My reservation was for July, the height of tourist season, so imagine my surprise when I was upgraded to a Jr. suite for 5 nights!  It doesn't hurt to call them.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...