6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2016 9:06 AM by iahflyr RSS

Thankful for Some Recent Travel Improvements

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Loyalty Lobby often contains some interesting tidbits such as this item I found today.

Fabulous Fridays: 10 Travel-Related Changes To Be Thankful For | LoyaltyLobby

For the most part I'd have to agree that traveling on planes has improved as far as food options in Premium cabins as well as Airline Clubs also being updated, higher end food and drink options.  Whether we see it much or not airlines and airport operators have started to make improvement in how getting us through the TSA juggernaut easier and seldom do you need to interact with an agent at a ticket counter with thousands of kiosks to print your boarding pass if you choose not to have it on your smart phone.

We have new airplanes arriving with better cabin pressures and humidity that will leave you more refreshed after a long haul flight.  We are now able to book reward travel from home or an app that keeps us from waiting on the phone while an agent searches for just the right routing.

However; Club membership rates continue to rise which makes me seriously look at their value especially when you consider AMEX Platinum cards and the ability to gain access to their new Centurion Lounges as well as Priority Pass that has many Clubs to offer.

Anyway, I found the article to be positive and brings out some travel things to be thankful for over this holiday weekend.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Thankful for Some Recent Travel Improvements
    nationwide Platinum

IAHFLYR, a nice positive spin in this article on some real improvements.  Good stuff!  Thanks for sharing!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Downside of large mergers is more flyers/ hotel stayers trying to get the limited upgrades. Before us air formally merged their frequent flyer programs I got upgraded on about 75% of my flights . Now I get upgraded 0% .  Don't know yet how this will affect us on hotel upgrades. To me it appears that the trend seems to be rewarding the uber flyers and those that pay full fare. .

I quit long ago attempting to wait on a comp upgrade on a plane even as far back as prior to the 2010 CO/UA merger, as flying out of IAH which was a huge CO HUB even Platinum Elites had a hard time getting the upgrade 72 hours ahead of the flight.  Now if the upgrade isn't available to be confirmed when purchasing the ticket I either find a different flight or pay for the FC ticket which as we've seen before may not be that much different in pricing.

insertcoffee Platinum

I did not see it listed,but may have missed it.

I think that something to be grateful for, frankly, for many people, is the extraordinarily low price of flying in an airplane, the relative safety of such transportation, and the professionals in the US who fly and staff this equipment and support the air travel industry.

Very well put insertcoffee.  The aviation professionals are simply that, professionals who take their profession seriously and are a wonderful bunch for sure. 

It is funny you should mention that as yesterday I was having a beverage with my friend who flies a corporate jet and he was telling me a story about landing at IAH Sunday afternoon. They were empty after dropping the CEO off and were using the autopilot to verify something when the plane slowed unexpectedly about five miles from the airport.  Hearing the tower controller tell the airplane following them closely to slow as they were overtaking the corporate jet, my pal took it off autopilot and pushed the throttles up to go faster so the following guys didn't have to abandon their approach.  After landing they also slowed the plane quickly and exited the runway as soon as possible so the airliner could land.  After they were both on the ground control frequency the airline said "thanks Gulfstream for helping us out".   Nothing was done that was unsafe in the least in order to help their fellow aviator out and it is cool the airline kids acknowledged it.  Just a great gang of professionals  for sure!

erc Platinum

Good stuff IAHFLYR , thanks for sharing.

At an age where every tweak makes me think of Fred Sanford, "this is the big one Elizabeth, I'm coming to join you", I'm grateful to be around and write wisecracks about the travel industry. Nothing to it but to do it (in honor of my very first Marriott boss when telling me to unload the food and furniture trucks for a big catering event ).

Great day to be alive - Keep on keepin' on Insiders

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...