16 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2016 10:47 AM by pingreeman RSS

Pet hate

dave4525 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

IIt's bad enough points not been posted after a stay, but when you complain your told to get a copy of hotel invoice and scan it to Marriott rewards service centre, why is it my job to correct Marriott poor quality control.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Pet hate
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

"Pet hate"???  What am I missing?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

lol my dear friend you did not read his post, he does not hate puppies, he hates not getting his hard earned points.

Oh no I got his post peymanagement, just needed the "Featured Insider" to translate the Pet Hate for me.

Chasing points must be maddening and I'm very glad that I've not had to do that often, but when I have had the opportunity to do so my luck has been good and it takes little time to get them into the account.

I do like your solution of 10,000 points when this happens, but like the guaranteed late check-out we've all read how that guarantee is working we need the Sheriff to enforce it.

peymanagement Platinum

Ya sorry I shouldn't have called you guys out. Sorry to Wes and Roger too.

STOP IT...you didn't call anyone out some of us just needed a little help as usual!

dave4525 Platinum

FFirstly points in my case are often not posted and secondly to get them posted I have to chase through the the Marriott system when Marriott should correct their own mistakes not rely on the customer to do so

nationwide Platinum

dave4525, your concern seems valid, but what do they have to do with your title "Pet Hate?"

peymanagement Platinum

nationwide, his concern is very valid.  My pet hate (peeve in America), is that there is too high of a percentage of non posted points, particularly outside USA, We on insiders need to speak out and to support folks not getting their points.

nationwide Platinum

peymanagement, I cannot stand chasing points!  I have written about it several times.  Moreover, I've found that managers and associates are increasingly likely to throw "we're sorry" points at you when they make a service mistake.  Then, of course, they add insult to injury by not following through and you wind up chasing the feel good points they gave you to make amends for an earlier shortcoming.  It just compounds the problem, reminding you of the earlier service failure, further reducing your confidence and loyalty, and infuriating you as you chase the points like a dog with a bone!  wesleywc, see I can get in on this too?!

As for the "pet hate" language confusion, you'll have to excuse me.  Wes had me thinking about flying pets from his blog, so I didn't make the connection.  I can get both my peeve and my hate on when chasing points! 

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi dave4525,

Sorry to hear you've had trouble receiving points after a stay. Our Rewards team requests copies of receipts from members to expedite the process. If you do not have a copy, they need to request it from the hotel directly which can take up to 10 business days depending on the hotel. If you need us to have the team request it from the hotel, please send me a private message with your Rewards number and either Reservation number or hotel name & dates of stay and we'll work to get your points posted.

Thanks, and sorry for any frustration this has caused.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree that trials and tribulations of having to provide a folio/receipt to request missing points is a pain in the backside, but here's what I do not understand:

With my Hilton account, I can go to recent stays and download my folio in PDF format. Excellent for using on expense reports and for tax purposes, especially when sometimes I forget or am not given, a folio at checkout.

On my Marriott account, I cannot download to PDF any of my recent stays (perhaps because I have only point stays in the last two years and these cannot be rendered to PDF?)

QUESTION: can someone tell me if they can download a PDF for a recent paid stay on the Marriott site?

With Hilton, if I am missing points (rarely, but it has happened) I call the HH desk and they handle the missing points over the phone: no PDF, no waiting 10 days, etc. HH must have an integrated IT system that can search for any folio at any of their hotels and simply verify the stay - - - and award the points on the spot.

As such, I have several questions regarding deannad reply:

1. Why is it that Marriott cannot do this over the phone whereas HH can?
      2. Why can’t Marriott provide an e-mail address for missing points? Assuming PDFs for paid stays can be downloaded from Marriott, it would be more simple and efficient to send an e-mail with an attachment rather than wait “up to 10 business days”.
      3. Why does Marriott suggest “up to 10 business days” to get a folio/receipt from the hotel? Is it because the software is not as sophisticated at Hilton or the customer service rep cannot simply query the reservation system to see the stay?

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi pingreeman,

Thank you for your questions. Marriott Rewards offices do not always have access to each hotel’s billing systems; when we do have access to a bill in the office’s system, adding a missing stay is as simple as looking it up in our system and adding it to the account. When a hotel stay has been posted automatically by the hotel, the bill for the stay should be available to the member on their online account. Members can send bills for their missing stays to stay.add@marriott.com – these requests should be processed within 10 business days. We ask our members to wait 10 days as we don’t know when the hotel will be able to respond to our request, especially international hotels.

We hope this helps provide some clarity for you and others.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

So my guess that Marriott has a centralized reservations system does not mean they also have a centralized billing system. Correct?

Amazing, simply amazing.

insertcoffee Platinum

With all due respect, I have had the GM fax my folio to Rewards, even when she could show me she had already sent it there, and the ball was dropped absolutely by Rewards, not the hotel.

Rewards stock answer whenever you make a point inquiry is to lay it at the feet of the hotel, even when it is their own fault. I automatically ask every person about points posting, and it is always the same answer-- to blame the property, when in fact it is not necessarily true.

peymanagement Platinum

dave4525, I get your post. There is nothing worse than having to chase points.  At some time there has to be a guarantee, or penalty. 10000 points for non posted credits within a week, would eliminate this problem.  It originates at the hotel, so why are we asked to go back to that hotel for a receipt,  when there is a confirmation number on Marriott a charge on your credit card. They need to fix this,

My pet peeve.

insertcoffee Platinum

This is a pet peeve of mine as well. And also having to wait and wait and wait for them to post in the first place.

When I redeem points, they manage to take them out *immediately*-- but to get them credited to my account takes two weeks every time in CONUS.  Reminds me of the bank, where it takes a fraction of a second to pull money--for them-- out of the account, but weeks to credit a paper check or some other deposits.

I also find that I always have to babysit the arithmetic of the points, doublecheck everything, etc., to make sure done properly once they finally post. This is not acceptable. I have no such problems with other brands or with, for example, Delta Airlines.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...