4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2016 5:00 AM by brightlybob RSS

SPG and Marriott qualifying nights

andrisp Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I`m kinda new to both of these hotel chains, and still i`m a bit confused, as I would believe it would be nice benefit if stays/nights in both chains would count towards elite status in another, because otherwise for me it makes less sense to stay in SPG if I`m  making most of my nights towards getting  status in Marriott reward programm, as I will have same access in SPG anyway, and instead of staying in SPG property in areas where Marriott is not present I would go with Hilton or other chain. As that would get me some status with them of course the benefit of using SPG hotel would be existing status privileges but as for starters who only try to reach that, this advantage would be absent. Any plans on such approach ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: SPG and Marriott qualifying nights
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I'm afraid crediting SPG stays to Marriott and vice versa isn't happening, at least not this year or next.

But the SPG/Marriott program link provides an interesting arbitrage for those who want Marriott Gold but can't stay the 50 nights required at Marriott's. You see Marriott Gold is matched to SPG Gold. SPG Gold isnt up to much to be honest but Marriott Gold is where the Marriott meat is, with upgrades, lounge access and free breakfast across the full service Marriott brands. Register at SPG and link your account to Marriott, then stay at SPG hotels just 10 times in 2017 and *bang* you're matched to Marriott Gold till February 2018, as if you'd done 50 nights at Marriott. Simples!

Alternatively, if you can make 6 stays in 3 months you could go for a Marriott status challenge taking you from Silver to Gold. For more info visit this page Status Challenges: What are they and how do I enroll?

So, welcome to the boards and I hope this helps

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great info here!  Thanks, brightlybob!

andrisp Silver

yes, I know, I`m doing the SPG platinum challenge at the moment, but the idea is that for 2018 I would need to reach certain amount of nights and that of course would make me better choose SPG properties as to mantain Platinum for following years in both chains I need only 50 not 75 nights. and thats 50% difference but will see how it goes

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I think everyone would agree it will be most advantageous to reach the highest level in your program during 2017 so that you start 2018 at that level, since it is from there that the new program will start members. And certainly the SPG Plat targets at only 25 stays or 50 nights are the lowest, although of course Starwoods footprint is much smaller than Marriott's, especially in the USA.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...