9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2016 10:48 PM by tker RSS

Room Rate Idiocy

wally3433 Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott room rate structure is insulting.  Why does Marriott offer a base room rate of say $300, but then offer a package room rate on the same webpage for $400 that includes a free buffet breakfast for 2?  Fully knowing that if you booked the $300 room, then walk into the same restaurant for breakfast and pay $50 for two people to eat a breakfast worth half that much?

Or, better than that, regular room rate of $300, or you can book a "Spa package" rate for $450 per night, that includes a $100 spa credit.

This has been going on for years.

Are people really that stupid?   Sure, there are exceptions, but room packages, almost by definition, are a blatant rip off!

I think that this is unscrupulous and deceptive of Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Room Rate Idiocy
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

too me as long as they disclose all choices let the buyer beware . I find hotels offer many different  rates and I look at them all to decide what's best for me . Of course being platinum ( unless it's a resort ) I get breakfast included . I do understand your point

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

monisame Platinum

I do understand you too. But many times I compare packages with rates and they are bettter that the rate that is being offering for members!!!  sometimes I choose a package because is more convenient in many aspects. For this weekend I got a good one. They are given breakfast for two adults and two chidren and a free night when you book a three days stay. Being platinum I have breakfast for free up to two people.  Really good offer.!!!

insertcoffee Platinum

I'll just tackle one aspect.

Yes, people are that stupid.

erc Platinum

wally3433

Thanks for the post, it's a good break for me from all of the lovefest 30 days of Holiday Rewards posts, once again demonstrating that Marriott is a brand, not a religion.

As much as I'm  a huge Marriott fan, I've come to the hard realization (for those of us who go back to the seventies with Marriott) that Marriott sets prices similar to how they offer brands - for different buyers.

I'm not talking of dynamic pricing or demand oriented pricing, that's understandable and in today's environment of instantaneous info, fair. I'm talking about what you mention, a misleadingly aggressive, if not deceptive, pricing menu aimed at the various types of purchasers ranging from Jsucool76's millennials (of all ages) who will pay whatever for whoever provides 'the experience' (ps - Jsu is not one, he's an effective value hunter) to insertcoffee's  outright stupid consumer distracted by the non-value tweaks to the middle of the road bejacob   who will play the badge collection game but not at any extra effort or cost, to master value planners like pluto77 and brightlybob who, through due diligence and fiduciary skill, capture what they want at the very best price point; to the outright nuts like myself who love the game and the art of the deal (just back from Home Depot with my 99 cent poinsettias, but on the other hand dropped  400 GBP for a package deal with buddies at the Old Course Hotel at St. Andrews and I don't golf ! - so it's not intellect, it's the sport; how's that ssindc for behavioral economics?!).

When it comes to Marriott pricing and pricing logic, I go back to the classic Felix Unger advice

http://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=felix+unger+-+assume&s_it=video-ans&sfVid=true&videoId=096C3A01704E973B91CB096C3A01704E973B91CB&s_chn=prt_bon&v_t=comsearch-aolcustomfirefoxtoolbar

Don't assume Member rates are < Standard
    Don't assume AAA rates are < Standard
    Don't assume Senior rates are < Standard
    Don't assume Associate or Friends and Family are < Standard (how about that, they even eat their young!)
    Don't assume Marriott Offers are < Standard
    Don't assume Black Friday prices are < Standard
    Don't assume Advance Pre-paids are < Other Advance Pre-paids in the same box!
    and a new one I found just this week, which really speaks to the above post
    Don't assume Advance Pre-paids are < Standard

I have found examples of all of the above and they are occurring with more frequency, so caveat emptor.

Keep on keepin' on Insiders, but keep your eye on the ball, Marriott is one tough pricing competitor.

(be the sticker, not the stickee)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

So glad to see that erc is feeling the holiday spirit.

Having said that, I'm with jerryl - I don't understand many of the pricing options... But, as long they SHOW me the options, and I can choose the one that works best for me (most often - but not always - the AAA rate), that's OK with me.

And, while I hate to admit it, but if lazy and unsophisticated and less-than-diligent consumers/customers are willing to overpay and subsidize my stay, that's OK with me too....

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Master value planner.  Wow, thanks, man!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I agree with the crux of your argument, wally3433. If Marriott is going to offer a package rate, make the cost of the package less than the sum of its components otherwise there is no reason to buy the package. Just pick up the parts a la carte.

Occasionally there are some good deals out there. Finding them can take a bit of trial and error. It shouldn't be that complicated.

wally3433 Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree, you can find deals out there - rare, but they exist.  That's why I read them all. 

Yes, I'm venting.  But, also a fair warning to most - as erc said, double and triple check all the rates.

Just looked at the Cyber sale - from what I can tell, it's a joke.  All the hotels that are at low occupancy anyway.   For the two reservations I already had in place, I couldn't save anything:  Jan for one night in Park City was $40 higher than the rate I had already booked.  Grand Cayman in Feb was not offered.   Just the fact that the Cyber Sale rates start at $79 tells me it's not actually a sale.  If it said "from $39", it would be a sale.  I was not counting on anything significant.

I do understand erc's point that they are trying to hit different expectations for different customers.  But, it still boils down to a rip off.  Would you expect to pay MORE for a combo meal at McDonalds than the sum of its parts?

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

I have seen AAA rates higher than standard rates. I have seen rates that include $100.00 daily resort credit more than $100 over standard rates. I have seen a Thursday night rate for $279.00, but if you stay Thursday AND Friday, the rate drops to $75/night. (Marriott Dulles Suites of that one)

Another one that confuses me often is rates that include tickets to theme parks etc. You can select that rate for 5 nights. However, you only need those benefits for one night. That rate is often VERY high. Sometimes those benefits are available one time during stay. It makes sense to book that rate sep for one night only.

I like the variety of rates available based on memberships and status I have. But, its always important to research what makes most sense. As they say, Buyer Beware.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...