12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2016 6:25 PM by kharada46 RSS

Renaissance Seattle or Westin Seattle?

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I've got one night in Seattle on my way home from NYC very soon.  Currently I'm booked into the Renaissance Seattle for about $300 for a suite (there will be a few of us, so need the extra space).  But, I noticed the Westin Seattle is going for the same price on that date for the same room type.  The catch is, however, that the rate is prepaid.  My travel plans are set, except for *knock-on-wood* potential weather delays, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue.  That being said, I do like the Westin's location better.  Unfortunately, by staying there, I'd also give-up lounge access and an EQN for 2017 qualifications... not that it matters, as it'll mean I will have had 41 EQNs in 2016 instead of 42. 

So what would you do?  Keep the Ren. or take the Westin? Thanks in advanced?

• Re: Renaissance Seattle or Westin Seattle?
    seachi Platinum

I'd go with the Renaissance. It's a nice property that was remodeled over the last year. Enjoy the breakfast in the CL, one of the best IMO. They even turn the CL into a restaurant part of the week.

Never stayed at the Westin, but it does have a better location.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks seachi.  That's the struggle, really.  The location.  With only one night in SEA, I really want to make the most of our limited time, but the Res. does look rather nice... As does the Westin! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Kyle, regarding your EQN's, sometimes Marriott will gratuitously renew your current status, if over the past three years you have maintained a certain number of nights on average.  I'm not sure what that average is, but it might be worth a call to Marriott C/S.  That extra EQN might just come in handy.  I think that at least one year in the past three years, you qualified for platinum, right?  You might have enough average nights to retain gold.  Just a thought.

I know that at the end of last year, a very nice associate told me that if I had an average of (for me) something like 67 nights over the past three years that I could possibly gratuitously retain platinum (I did not have a high enough average).  So I know that it's possible (given that you hit the right, well versed in the program, customer service associate.)

pluto77, see I remember someone mentioning that before, too... Might have even been you lol!  And that's the struggle for me, really.  I'd hate to lose any EQN earning potential, but the Westin is SO MUCH more convenient in terms of location than the Ren.  The Ren. almost feels like it's in the boonies when I look at it on the map, being a mile or more away from the things I'd actually want to do and see in Seattle.  And with such limited time on the ground, every little bit counts!  The struggle is real... lol

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

as another option the Marriott on the waft  is great and walking distance to pikes market, underground and many other attractions and is one of the best Marriotts I have stayed in the US

I love that property too, jerryl!  Unfortunately, it doesn't fall into my budget this time around. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Taxi's are really cheap in Seattle.  Uber might be even better.

This is true, pluto77.  Will likely end up doing this.  I'd LOVE to give the Westin a try, as it looks like a beautiful property in a great location, but the Ren. looks great, too.  Albeit in a not-so-great area haha.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Solve the struggle and stay you know where....the Waterfront!!

lol, believe me I looked IAHFLYR.  Too expensive!  I'm doing a cash stay and needed a larger room to accommodate myself, the wife, and a friend that will be joining us for the night from PDX.  Got a suite for $300 even at the Ren!  Could get a suite at the Westin for slightly less on a prepaid rate.

mustanggt Platinum

I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Renaissance over Thanksgiving.  It was a very nice property at a good price compared to some of the alternatives.  We found it relatively convenient to everything we wanted to do, but we don't mind walking.  It is about six blocks from Pike Place.  We also walked to the Seattle Space Needle and the nearby glass museum which is a must visit.  Also, if you are into coffee you must check out "Starbucks Reserve".  This is the only one of its kind presently in the world.  This Starbucks is about ten times the size of an ordinary Starbucks spread out on two floors.  The roast all the beans that they use for their coffee right there, and they roast all of their "Reserve" beans that they distribute worldwide right there as well.  The roasting operation is open for viewing.  They also offer coffee there that you can't get anywhere else.  You can get a "flight" of three coffees to sample which is the way to go.  They explain how the beans are roasted and the coffees are brewed.  They also offer a brewing method that you can select that is only offered there, which they do right in front of you, that produces the most "pure" coffee I have ever sampled in my life.  This location also offers a large gift shop for your spending pleasure.  If you enjoy superb coffee then Starbucks Reserve is a must do!

Yes mustanggt!  Love those sights in SEA.  Not sure what we'll be doing this time, since we're only on the ground for 20-ish hours, but we shall see.  I may have to get back to Starbucks Reserve, though, to buy coffee for my dad   Thanks for the insight!  I will likely keep my reservation at the Renaissance. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...