8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2016 9:23 PM by peymanagement RSS

London Marriott Kensington. Bad experience

monisame Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Average I don t think members are treated any different to diferent public, .but at this hotel my experience was mediocre at best. There was nothing platinum about it. No special greeting, no 'platinum welcome gift', no high-speed internet, unfriendly staff at the front desk.

I did the check in by the app, made some requests and an upgrade. The response was  "I will leave  notes on your reservation that you have requested an upgrade" . I am in London for business reasons, and my husband too. I was coming from New York and my husband from MIami. My flight was delayed. So he arrived early in the morning.. I sent a message to the hotel by the app telling this problem at the time I did the check in. Also called Marriott Customer Service asked them to add him as an aditional guest. Being there he was told that there was a room ready.  He took it, but for his surprise they did not gave him high internet accsees, only a code,  nor the entrance to  the concierge L., no coffe machine in the room, no complimentary water, nothing.  Of course  called from the airport and the girl at the front desk,  told me that the benefits will be given only when I reach the hoMarrntel.a  I  arrived by the midnight really  I did not asked from any perk I Only want to go away from there,   Upon check out by the app and personally I tried to speak with the G M, of course he was no on duty. Only received funny looks and and heard the staff  talked about us behind our backs. Of course the bill was done under my husband name, no points, no nights to count. He is not an elite member.  So what i did I cancelled the reservation for the next days, and moved to Xenia ny Autograph collection  a pretty new hotel, with an excelent staff.

Theou  if don't have status and all you're looking for is a shower and a bed you can stay here (after all it is in a good location). But if you have status and are looking for that special treatment when you're on vacation and not traveling by business reasons as I was, stay somewhere else!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Marriott Kensington. London
  • Re: London Marriott Kensington. Bad experience
    phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I've stayed at this hotel twice and have been well treated both times.  I hope that your experience, monisame was an aberration and that the hotel has not deteriorated since my last visit 3 or 4 years ago.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Terribly sorry to hear this, monisame. I've sent you a direct message for assistance.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

A very fair title, there, monisame. Your experience was undoubtedly bad.

The checkin clerk clearly decided not to avail your non-elite husband of your elite benefits on your reserved room. Some hotels have that policy, it is after all the official Marriott Rewards policy. Only the member has the benefits, so no free hi-speed internet for your non-elite husband. No lounge access. No Plat arrival gift. Obviously once you arrive and checkin these should be dealt with. But bearing in mind you called, that you kept them informed it does seem to me there was a singular lack of Marriotts claimed spirit to serve. And of course, as you did stay in the room that night you're entitled to your points.

The Marriott Kensington does normally treat elites well, I've always been upgraded from my cheapest reserved room, lounge offerings are lengthy, generous and vary not merely night to night, but frequently by replenishment. You can choose breakfast in lounge or full in restaurant. Normally it goes above and beyond and I'm sorry to see it hasn't done that this time for you.

Ironically I'm due to be staying 3 nights there in Mid December but have seen the Xenia rate drop, so am considering saving myself £200 and swapping over to the Xenia, so any info you have on that property would be well appreciated.

Oh, and welcome to England, I apologise for the weather!

monisame Platinum

Hi brightlybob thanks for your coments. I know the rules . It is not about the benefits, It's about the treatment received. He is Italian his English is horrible and they made fun of it. They have no spirit of service at all.. They were warned that I was having a problem with my flight. Even talk to customer service to inform them. No advantage I want to get by this comment just want that other members know.
      I have had the pleasure of visiting London many times and believe me this hotel is far below the standards one would expect. Other hotels, the London Marriott  Indian Quay to mention one have no point of comparison, they have always made me feel as I were at home. St. Ermins is great too,  Small details just that.
      Xenia is a new concept owned by Autograph collection, the rooms are small but of great design, just stepts from Marriott Kesington, the staff is fantastic, they gave me a tour of the  whole hotel and even told me to choose the room I want. Great touch , They do no offer Concierge Lounge services, but the breakfast given is really huge.. Love the  winter garden, it is very inviting. I will choice it again. 
      I love London at this time of year as it prepares to receive Christmas, street lights, lovely markets the weather does not matter in a city like London.

Thanks again

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

LLondon Marriotts are certainly a variable bunch! Marriott County Hall, Park Lane, Grosvenor Square and West India Quay are all 5-star hotels whereas Marriott Kensington, Regents Park, Marble Arch and Maida Vale are 4-stars. It's a strange set up really, the Marriott brand is meant to be 4-star and the JW 5-star yet there's this confusion in London. Certainly anyone that's stated at Grosvenor Sq Marriott will be very disappointed with the small rooms, narrow corridors and windowless lounge at Kensington!

And thanks for the Xenia info, I think I will punt out on the Xenia... new experiences and all that!

Snail5930 Gold

I was in this hotel for 4 days last year and everything was good. I'm sorry that there were problems with your stay.

beauvallonboy Platinum

@Monisame, Sorry to hear about your experience!  Seems like they paid no attention to your notifications and your husband was just given a room without reservations or being tied to your per your request.  With the merger of RC/SPG etc. I have began to experience other hotel brands to see which ones treats one as loyal customer.  SPG is starting to win me over but I guess that would depend where you are and how they value the rate your room is booked at.

peymanagement Platinum

My friend monisame, I am sad that you were not treated with respect. I have stayed there, and have had a decent stay, but your post will give me some reservations,

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...