8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2016 7:00 PM by Ktw511 RSS

How can I get an upgraded room when I book with points?

Ktw511 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

HI All

IM new to the process.......

I'm finding that only certain rooms are available and some hotels don't have any redemption rooms available.

I saved points to be able to go away on a nice vacation but I can't book a suite or a room with a view. Is there any way I can use points toward a nicer room? I don't want to have to hope for a upgrade.

THanks for your help!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How can I get an upgraded room when I book with points?
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi Ktw511.  When it comes to upgrades, they are given based on availability upon checkin.  Often times, reaching out to the hotel directly is the best option to inquire about the upgrades they have available for your stay. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Snail5930 Gold

Usually hotels offer only basic rooms for points. But there are many exceptions and then for more points or points + money you can take a larger room or apartment. If the hotel offers such rooms and suites with points they will appear on the reservations page.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Absolutely not my experience!  I have found upgrades available when booking for cash or points without any difference.  I just came back from California and I was upgraded 4 times in four stays.  Two were for points and two for cash.  We were upgraded at every hotel and twice received a suite.  One suite was for cash and one for points and the one for points was far nicer than the suite for which we paid cash .

Upgrades cannot be booked in advance without paying for the more desirable room.  A complimentary upgrade is granted only at check in, based upon availability at that time.  It does help, however, to speak to guest relations in advance and to request an upgrade.  If your trip is a special celebration, let them know in advance.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

If its not an option on the website to upgrade using cash, you can call the hotel and will quote you a cash amount per night for the upgrade. (if they do that) otherwise its based on availability at check in.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

If the upgrade definition is a higher floor, better view, closer to the concierge lounge, etc., almost always these are granted. But keep in mind - parking lot view is likely only going to be upgraded to pool view; mountain and ocean views are additional tiers within the "view upgrade" bracket.

It's been my experience on points that there must be at least 20 "brackets" for me to climb through because suites on points don't happen.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

My last stay was a suite on points at SF JW,  I've had several suites when staying on points, including
      Marriott, Renaissance, and RI.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

phctourist - you are much luckier than I as I have NEVER been granted a suite upgrade when using points despite calling ahead, speaking with the PP desk, sending e-mails to the manager, etc. prior to arrival and oftentimes mentioning PP status for "X" number of consecutive years. Didn't work for requesting an upgrade even on special occasions: 15th anniversary in Hawaii, my 21-st birthday present to my daughter in Vegas, to name a few special events.

Yes - there is bitterness every time I comment on suites-on-points-upgrade because I know I must be one of the uber-loyalists within MR having over 3000 lifetime nights, 9 consecutive years of PP, over 7M (maybe even 8M) points earned, etc. yet never "lucky enough" (or deserving enough) of that elusive suite on points.

Ktw511 Gold

HI All

Thank you for your input. Stupid question but why is it that on some responses i can click on " helpful" but cant on others? And a couple responses say "correct" Already.

LoL who decides whats correct and helpful?   As the original poster of the question do i do that?

Sorry. Ive been reading the insiders page for awhile. But as you all can tell this is the first time i actually posted.

As far as booking a suite goes i guess ill make the reservation over the phone and ask if i can upgrade with points or cash? If not sounds like ill have to call the hotel and ask. And if there is a room available and they wont let me do that i guess im out of business. That kind of stinks. Its interesting that people seem to have such different experiences. Seems to me the process is not clear and seems frustrating....I guess ill hope for the best!

THanks for your help!!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...