5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2016 5:57 AM by erc RSS

Dirty Sheets: Not for the light-hearted

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Ever wonder how well housekeeping is doing their job? The TV show, Inside Addition, wondered as well, so they did some investigative reporting.

Spoiler alert: if you really do not want to know how well rooms are cleaned and made up for arriving guests, then you may not want to read any further. Once I found out the truth, I will never be able to check in to another hotel without pause for concern.

According to the investigation, one-third of the hotels Inside Edition sampled did not replace the sheets on the bed between guests. The way they tested was ingenious using a safe, biodegradable luminescence spray activated under ultraviolet light. Here is the video clip:

For Sheets' Sake! Multiple Hotels Do Not Change Bedsheets for New Guests, Investigation Reveals - Inside Edition

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Dirty Sheets: Not for the light-hearted
    nationwide Platinum

pingreeman, I had not seen this piece, so thank you for sharing it.  That said, ugh!  How gross that 3 of 9 didn't even change the sheets!!!  And, of course, to have a Marriott property in the sample set completely eliminated the "but not at my Marriott" denial.  I found the Marriott response fascinating, as I think so many of us have had similar service experiences.   An overall lack of ownership/accountability, asking them to talk to the GM, pointing to unadhered to standards as though they are fact...how many times has that formula played out through the stories of Insiders?!?  Of course, we have seen the good side too, and there is far more good than bad.  This makes clear though, even our most basic expectations are not always met. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I have checked into rooms and felt strongly that sheets had not been changed. Physical evidence from the previous guest is a dead giveaway.  I've always ask for, and received, a room change.

This is not the norm...but I'll guess it's happened about 10 times in 500 or so stays, around 2% of the time. The article is closer to 1/3, so I've missed a few....

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

for me I have my own clean safety procedures for any hotel; 7 star or otherwise.

1. I always place my shaving stuff on a clean towel on the sink counter

2. Always hand wash the glasses or coffee cup before use (if no paper/plastic cups)

3. Put a the plastic ice bag over the TV remote for channel changing etc.

4. usually pull up the bedding corners to check for bed bugs

call me paranoid, its just I've seen these TV shows a few times as well and now it's just second nature....

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I had checked into a Marriott and arrived late and the front desk was closed but they left the key with security.  The bed actually had crumbs in it and no one to call till morning.  Ugg!  The rest was not clean either.

erc Platinum

eat-in-bed.gif 
    As a frequent customer of that Residence Inn,
    I consider dirty sheets and pillowcases as an "Immunity builder". This hotel service (clean sheet turned down) strengthens my resistance to Zika, SARS, Asian Flu, Ebola, Listeria, Escherichia coli and all other diseases and will soon be included in our Platinum benefits package.

pingreeman - as a whistleblower, this goes on your permanent record; you will never get suite upgrades with points

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...