56 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2017 3:35 AM by brightlybob RSS

Elite Members Upgraded or not Upgraded

beauvallonboy Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Elite members out there.  We are curious if you are getting upgraded without asking or with asking.  Whether it is best available room upon check or to Suites.

This isn't just Marriott Hotels it should be SPG, but the unlike scenario is Ritz Carton as well (Usually you pay for it or use your certificates provided if you should carry Ritz Carlton Visa credit card).  I have never been able to use the 3 certificate (Club Level upgrade up to 7 nights each).

Good luck on your adventures and receiving upgrades!

Beauvallonboy

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
jw_marriott,
The Woodlands, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center
  • Re: Elite Members Upgraded or not Upgraded
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I get upgraded frequently without asking. I'm not sure of the percentages, but more often than not when greeted at check-in, the associate notes my Platinum status and lets me know that I've been upgraded. Sometimes it's a suite. Other times it is a deluxe or superior room. Occasionally it's a corner room or one with a better view.

One thing I've started doing is checking my reservation a day or two in advance of my stay. Many times, my room type has changed (to something better) showing the upgrade can happen even before arriving.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

beauvallonboy Platinum

Thank you for your feedback!  Maybe I will take that check-in approach for my next stay tomorrow and see if I somehow get a Suite upgrade or larger room. 

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Ditto!   bejacob.  Everything you say applies to me.  It does seem, though, that when I ask, upgrades are better.  On my recent trip I did let all three hotels know that it was a special celebration and I was upgraded in all three cases.

nationwide Platinum

beauvallonboy, this is a great question, and one which will likely prompt some very mixed responses.  I use the app all the time, and find that I am frequently upgraded (and notified ahead of time).  When I know I need an upgrade, such as when traveling with my family, I will reach out to the GM of the hotel in advance by email/phone in the weeks leading up to my trip and specifically within 24 hours of check-in.  I find that works wonders.  That said, there are occasions where I am on business travel, and I don't feel like I'm getting the best available room, and I will politely ask if they have a better room for a LTP member.  On those occasions, the desk has almost always rekeyed me to a different room - be it slight upgrade or significant.  While I think it is disappointing that I should have to ask, I am willing to do so.  I've tried to teach my son: "if you don't ask, you don't get."  Of course, doing so politely and with some panache is essential.

This has been a frequent subject here on Insiders, and I'm sure you guys would also enjoy reading some of the responses over the years.    Take a look at the thread below.  Enjoy!    I tried to paste it, and it simply wouldn't take, so you will have to look it up... it has over a thousand responses.

Where was your last Marriott stay and were you upgraded to a suite???

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/30202#30202

Location Brand Hotel
    The Woodlands, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center
      beauvallonboy Platinum

Thank you for your response and guidance!  Yes, I have been told I am quite personable, so I will ask before arriving and greet the person checking me in politely as one should always do when meeting because if you are in a bad mood it won't reflect well whether you need something or not.

Yes, I usually ask for Suite upgrades when I family travelling with me and a large room is nice.  During the summer was at Paso Robles CY for 3 months and got suite upgrade which was nice with kids during the summer.  As you mentioned if you don't ask you won't necessarily receive.  If I don't need the extra room especially for short stays I don't mind king rooms because usually I am only sleeping but when I'm in there for weeks on end it is nice to have a separate living area. 

Thank you again for your other thread!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well I find I'm mostly upgraded, though Suite upgrades are pretty rare.

With no more Marriott stays planned for November I can report my November 2016 outcomes:

Peterborough Marriott - 1 night paid stay - No upgrade

Brussels Marriott - 2 night paid stay - No upgrade

Not a high Marriott travel month, nor a great month for upgrades, it seems!

beauvallonboy Platinum

Thank you Sir brightlybob!  I used to travel to England working in North Yorkshire but unfortunately there wasn't any Marriott hotel brands there unless in Leeds but whenever I was in London area I would stay either at Heathrow Marriott, Maida Vale, Green Park etc. I was treated quite well with room upgrades but yes Europe in general suite upgrades are tough to get.  I believe it is pay for it vs. given out for free unless you are a frequenter of that establishment. 

alammari Platinum

We should travel during the week and avoid weekend if we really want a nice upgrade.

alammari Platinum

I just remembered to report back to u about my Abu Dhabi stay, I actually got upgraded! well I asked for it and was given this huge suite ... amazing.

then I went to Vienna, now this hotel I've visited at least 3 times or possibly more ... no upgrades, in fact this time I received the smallest room I have ever stayed in with Marriott Vienna, I requested a different room but the first night was fully booked, 2nd and 3rd night they didn't get back to me even though the hotel almost cleared out after the weekend,

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Im pretty much upgraded every stay..... a suite upgrade not very often.....

Typically its a larger room and/or a room with a good to great view....

luv2travl Platinum

My husband is a life time Platinum member and we stayed at the Torrance Marriott South Bay (sometimes referred to as Redondo Beach), California for a week from December 18 - 25.   It was a paid stay and we were upgraded to a very nice, large 1 bedroom suite for the entire time.  I had called about 3 days before and spoke with Michelle? at the front desk and asked to have the complimentary request put on our reservation.   At that time she said that she would try and give us an upgrade to a suite.  When we checked in, it was part of our reservation and was a lovely, large suite on the 15th floor.  (I have a feeling that it was easier to get an upgrade during the holidays because it is a slower time for a business hotel.)

The Conceirge Lounge was being renovated during that week and so they gave us vouchers for a free full breakfast in their new restaurant 21 Square Restaurant.    Great breakfast menu!

They gave wonderful customer service, especially Dani and Ionna, at the front desk.  They knew us by name when we had any questions and went out of their way to accommodate us.  All in all a wonderful upgraded stay!

beauvallonboy Platinum

Good to hear you had a wonderful time & excellent service! Everything they did was done as it should be!  Hopefully they did make that note about Lounge being under construction because that would possibly turn people away!  Happy new year and happy travels in 2017!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I have noticed that this past year I've gotten more voluntary upgrades than ever before.  Don't even have to ask, which I would always do politely if not offered an upgrade.  Hope this policy continues in 2017.  Happy New Year all!

YogiB Platinum

I just did a miles run (or rather: an 'elite nights run') to get to platinum before the year was over at my local Delta Hotel in Montreal. (My account should be updated in the next 48h and then I can enjoy my new status as one of the cool cats. )

We had one stay of three nights over Christmas and we were upgraded to a larger room (despite that the website states that all room types have the same floor surface, rooms are definitely different) on the 22nd floor.

Then I had to leave for work (my client set me up in a Hampton Inn, no discussion possible ) for two nights and when I came back we went for another two nights at the same Delta Montreal Hotel. Check-in was on Dec. 30th and the receptionist replied that a little over 70% was booked for that night and that they were nearly sold out for NYE. I called in advance to get a room with view towards the Old Port (for the fireworks) and the operator would only note "city view". We were assigned a corner room, which would theoretically have the best view, but the room was downright disappointing how small it was, with hardly any windows and a tiny balcony, compared to our last room. When I called, the operator made a huge fuzz about assigning a new room stating that anything bigger on the same side of the hotel was booked. After some arguing, she said she found something and asked us to come down for reprogramming the keys. Finally we got upgraded to a larger room on Club Level, so I suspect that they wanted to keep that room to sell last-minute at a higher price. Not sure why, because service was suspended at the Club Lounge from Dec. 18 through Jan 18. Exceptionally they gave access to the lounge on NYE to watch the fireworks, however no food or beverages were offered and at 00h30 security came to "close down" the lounge (even though our room keys would still provide access).

Despite having had an amazing time at the hotel, it left a slightly bitter after taste that it took so much arguing to get the room we asked for.

In general: in limited-service hotels (FF, RI) we got upgraded often, even while being only Silver Elite.

At full service hotels (M, D) we've had different experiences. From Marriott Ottawa upgrading us to CL for a Valentine's weekend, to YUL airport Marriott and Delta Winnipeg staying on the letter precise of the T&C stating that I have no right to upgrades as a Silver Elite. Since being Gold Elite, CL access was never an issue, but rooms weren't always the best. When I'm travelling for pleasure, I'm (okay: my girlfriend) is a bit more demanding when it comes to room size and view, but when I'm travelling alone and not expecting not to spend too much time in my room, I'm not being too picky.

beauvallonboy Platinum

Wow!  How does it feel? I hope it is worth it and that you take advantage of your new Platinum status after all that work.  Happy NY!  Happy travels in 2017!

YogiB Platinum

It feels insane. I only enrolled in Marriott Rewards in 2015 and didn't use it that much. Had a stay in May for work (which made me sign up) and with the Delta merger I had enough nights to harrass Marriott to give me Silver status by the end of the year (couldn't officially earn at Delta during the merger).

In 2016, I slowly made it to Gold by the end of the summer and by December I had to convince my gf of doing our Elite Nights run for the last 5 missing nights. At first she thought I had gone mad and totally OCDing on accumulating in my rewards account, but afterwards we both admitted we relaxed 3 times faster compared to if we stayed at home for Christmas and NYE.

I'm really looking forward to see how the Plat treatment will be different from the Gold one. I'm secretly hoping to get upgraded to a suite or 2 this year.

Tough challenge to retain my status though. 2016 wouldn't have been so glorious without the Double Elite Night promo (25 bonus nights!)

beauvallonboy Platinum

Thank you for your report!  Good luck in achieving those goals and I do hope you get upgraded to nicer rooms or suites etc.  Happy New Year! Happy travels 2017!

Following on from my December post on this thread concerning November upgrades I can now report on my December stays:

Renaissance LHR - 1 night paid stay - no upgrade

London Regents Park Marriott - 1 night paid stay - no upgrade

London Kensington Autograph Xenia - 3 night paid stay - upgraded from petite double to classic double

beauvallonboy Platinum

I can't believe it they didn't upgrade you!  Sorry to hear that but thank you for reporting your stays!  Happy New Year!

troytraveler Silver

which hotel did you like best?

Snail5930 Gold

While I was silver member (1 year) once upgraded to apartment (Grand Hotel Flora - Rome).

Since I'm gold member (6 months) did not upgrade me even once.

YogiB Platinum

Not even to CL level?

Snail5930 Gold

You're right, everywhere have access to CL.

jt15550 Platinum

I don't know what suite I wound up getting, but I got upgraded at the JW Marriott Bengaluru (India) something fierce. I wonder if it was due to the way I made my reservation. Originally, I had Sun-Sat booked as a six night stay, but then my other plans fell through and I made a separate reservation for the Sat-Sun prior to that stay,  When checking in, they said "we've upgraded you", and then I mentioned the other reservation and after a moment, they said "no, you don't have to move."  It was a pretty suite place - pardon the pun.  Best upgrade I could ever imagine.

12183813_10153196846566938_8836364741593353165_o.jpg

12183696_10153196846571938_814469907614731121_o.jpg

So, my excitement about that upgrade aside, I've been a Marriott member since 2004 and a Gold/Platinum member nearly the entire time.  I was definitely upgraded in this prior situation, and once for a one-night-stay at a Denver Courtyard in 2006.  That's twice in 10 years.  In retrospect, it pretty much never happens.  Ever.

iori105 Platinum

very nice suites, hope you enjoy yout stay with mariott hotel.

beauvallonboy Platinum

Nice suite!  Hope you got to relax & enjoy it!  Happy new year!  Thanks for sharing!

beauvallonboy Platinum

Had a wonderful post Christmas 5 nights stay at the Ritz Carlton Lake Tahoe!  We didn't get suite upgrade but that was expected and it would have been a surprise if they did but no cigar!  We did get Club access for a couple days, kids utilized the Ritz kids events almost everyday that events were going on.  Ski in/ski out was great and expected along with all the hotel amenities.  Hotel is very kid friendly with all the activities to keep them busy while parents can enjoy what they are paying for!

$39 per day car park valet never left the hotel until departure date not as bad as cities valet prices as high as $50 -$75 at RC's.

$33.6 per day resort fees

The staff there were great, each evening turn down service along with little amenities delivered.

Although it can be very expensive, I must say it is a very nice property and would recommend if one has a chance to stay there.

20170102_125941.jpg

YogiB Platinum

Since yesterday I'm at the Marriott Downtown Toronto (Eaton Centre). At check-in I was offered, what she called, "a really nice and bigger room". Sounded like corner room with great views.

Unfortunately I had to decline, since travelling with a colleague (not my gf), I preferred 2 beds in stead of one king. I was offered a 1 BR suite, though a wheelchair accessible version, meaning one would be on a sofa bed. In the end we settled for a standard 2 double-beds room.

beauvallonboy Platinum

What??  I hope this was a fun/personal travel trip with your colleague and not company travel making you two share a room!  I have never heard of that nor would I do a work travel trip with sharing rooms with colleagues.

At least they offered you the upgrade!  Usually wheelchair accessible rooms can provide more rooms although the shower etc. may not be exactly what you want, sometimes no tub option etc...

YogiB Platinum

Very often we're forced to share rooms when travelling with 2 or more. It depends, in some situations I accept, sometimes I do think I should get a private room.

In this particular case we're visiting conferences and I decided to bring a student along who otherwise could not have afforded a hotel room.

This morning I wasn't very impressed with our breakfast coupons though: 11$ to upgrade to full buffet!? Our coupons are only good for some cereals or a fruit muffin with juice and filter coffee.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

The North American hotels don't seem to be so generous with breakfasts as some of the European ones are, I'm not sure why. 

Well techie, I think the answer to that is a combination of where Marriott has positioned its brand internationally and the USA "brand" as a country.

In the US Marriott and Renaissance are commonly of a 3-to-4 star standard hotels sold as being a good choice for a comfy stay with prices to match but here in the the EU and in Asia, Marriott has a far posher reputation as an American flagship brand, the hotels are of a 4-to-5 star standard and considered by locals to be some of the highest quality lodging in their city, this time with prices to match that reputation.

Now, every country has a "brand". British is posh-but-impersonal, German is pricey-but-reliable, French is bolshy and work-shy (don't worry, we love our French neighbours really). The American "brand" is giving extra, resulting in the Big Mac and the Double Gulp. The feeling is if you ask for an upgrade at a British hotel you'll be told, "I'm most dreadfully sorry sir but may I reassure you that you are accommodated in the room classification you reserved". Asking for an upgrade at a German hotel will result in "I'm sorry sir, is zere somezing wrong viz ze bath... I haf now sent Maintenance up to your room to ensure all components are vorking satisfactorily". The French hotel clerk will roll their eyes, pound the keyboard for 5 minutes then wordlessly go off on their break (oops, I did it again, we still love our French neighbours!) but in America your request will be greeted by a smile and "let me see what I can do, now sir.. have a nice day". The reputation of American business is that it likes to give extra, so yes, I can upgrade you, yes, I can provide a city view, and yes, you can take your free breakfast in the lounge or in the restaurant. This is reinforced by the feeling that 4-5 star hotels will extend all possible services to their privileged high-paying guests.

So having enjoyed pontificating national stereotypes, I'm now running away for the day. See all y'all tomorrow!

beauvallonboy Platinum

LOL....Did you read my mind?  That is pretty much my experiences when it comes to international stays and USA is mostly true with the except of a few stays where I question whether or not they are really telling truths or just plainly don't want to give away suites/upgrades because they feel they will sell the room at higher rate instead of giving it upon check to loyal customers such the Elite members that have shown the loyalty through the old timer qualifications especially! 

YogiB Platinum

I would assume in the Netherlands it would just be: "Sorry, but no. If you want that [upgrade], you either pay or try the other hotel down the street if you think we're treating you unfairly and see how they reply."

Then leftovers of our colonial / trade past are still heavily rooted in the DNA of all dutchies.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

Thanks for taking the trouble, it was an interesting read!

beauvallonboy Platinum

So sorry to hear that you are forced!  I don't know what kind of company you work for, but that doesn't fly with most companies!  What is something happens to one of you during the stay?  That is a legal mess that most companies don't want to be into.  Just saying!  Good luck in the future & happy travels!

renatabueno Platinum

I receive an upgrade almost always! But have to ask!

issaquah Platinum

Almost never in the US but have had wonderful upgrades in Europe.

Zurich Marriott has always come through with a beautiful view room with a nice bottle of wine and cheese plate on arrival.

Powerscourt gave us a massive corner room that we could have lived in but only stayed one night.

The Shelbourne upgraded us to a room with a view of St. Stephen Green.

Marriott Champs Elysees I paid for one night in a balcony room and stayed 6 more nights on points. they let us stay in the same room. they did have to type a long time to make it work

St. Ermins was greeted with, Oh you are staying with us for a long time, let's see what we can do and was given a beautiful suite

I'm been turned down so often in the US that I don't even ask anymore.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Just checked a reservation for this coming weekend at the Gaylord Palms. Last time I looked, it still said "Guest Room." Today my room type has changed to "Emerald Bay Guest Room, Atrium View."

Based on the room types at this property, that's as good as it gets short of being a suite. Works for me.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Kinda weird, when we checked into the CY Paso Robles last weekend, no mention of status or anything, which was no big deal (I'm gold and it was a CY).  When we opened the door to the room, Voilà!  A large, very nice suite.  A half hour later, a call from the concierge (not exactly your typical CY) checking up to see if everything was to our liking and could they get us anything.  Yes, we loved it and they appreciated - our expressed appreciation! 

So I'm going to say that since last May (first big stay since being back at gold), I've received 4 suite upgrades as well as 4 truly significant room upgrades (larger, well appointed room plus with outstanding - best in house, in fact - views) as a Gold member.  That's not counting the amazing suite upgrade at JW Houston Downtown last Sept., as the circumstances were extraordinary.  So upgrades are alive and well in my little mid-tier gold world.  I must be livin' large or else picking the right hotels.

beauvallonboy Platinum

Oh that is weird!  They do have some newer employees so maybe they forgot to mention your status and then upgraded you but didn't tell you!  I spent many nights this summer around 90 nights or so and the ladies there were great and the other staff!  I also got the largest suite for free for all nights with especially since I had my family with me on business travel during most of the nights. 

Glad you are getting upgraded without asking!  And maybe you are lucking out with choice of hotels that give out those upgrades.

Enjoy & happy travels!

solkua Platinum 1 Reviews

I've had far greater success at being upgraded oversees. US properties would be less than 5% of the time. I noticed that I'm Platinum Premier this year, so we'll see if that changes anything.

kumaraswamy Platinum

I kind of agree that US properties do not upgrade that often - last year the only proper upgrade I got was a 2 bedroom suite in North Conway , New Hampshire when I had just booked a standard room. The reason for that could also be that I had booked a 2 bedroom suite when I had stayed at the same property about 5 months before. They acknowledged my platinum status - welcomed back to the property as well. I was staying only for 1 night both the times. Other properties its usually just a room on the higher floor or corner rooms.

Overseas I have always secured upgrades:

1.  a club floor room in the ritz bangalore - did not get the lounge access though but the room was amazing.

2. An executive room in marriott hyderabad with lake view.

3. An executive room with balcony in JW marriott bangalore when staying on points.

4. An amazing ocean front room in casamagna cancun marriott.

YogiB Platinum

That's funny. I got upgraded more often in the US than in Canada. Nearly every time, even though I was silver during all of my visits south of the border.

beauvallonboy Platinum

That is my life as well YogiB!  I have had more success in getting upgrades in USA, a few in Canada, England does treat me well when I was there but Europe proper it is like pulling teeth! :-)

And my January upgrade report.. is very thin as most of my work was in secondary cities where Marriott has no presence. So it's only the one for January 2017:

Marriott Worsley Park Country Club - 1-night paid stay - upgraded to a suite

beauvallonboy Platinum

Hi brightlybob!  Thanks for keeping updates coming.  Seems like you do a lot of business travle but short trips but many of them unlike me...I was doing fewer trips but weeks or months at a time.  Happy travels

indytors Silver

I have to request for upgrade if I'm needing get an upgrade. Great question though

usuallyinchina Platinum

I was upgraded to a suite at the Marriott in Ningbo, China, the JW Marriott in Shenzhen, China, and the Skycity Marriott at the Hong Kong airport in January.  In addition I was upgraded to a suite at the Le Meridien in Chiang Mai, Thailand.  Four for four on my January trip

labatarelle Platinum

I've been PP for many years and am LTP, and only ever have properties outside of US/ Canada upgrade me.  For my overseas upgrades, I do make certain to contact the hotel well in advance, and as was the case with Marriott Sydney Harbour Circular Quay, my rest was changed right away to reflect my new Opera Suite!  My trip for US/Canadian hotels is to ask at check-in if they have an upgrade; however, I check on the app which types of rooms are available for my stay duration (as I'm walking into hotel).  If the front desk tells me there are no upgrades available, I politely say, "do you know why I'd be able to book a stay for the room with balcony / suite / whatever, but you're not able to upgrade me?"  This completely catches them off guard, and then involves a manager apologizing, and giving me the upgrade.  I'd like to NOT have to play this game.  Having PP and LTP status, why do US hotels make giving an upgrade such a challenge.  For many years I was Platinum with ACCOR, and stayed monthly at Sofitel Washington DC....I was upgraded from my very stay to what I knew was the BEST room for the entirety of my stay;  never had to doubt it for a second.  I'm also Diamond with Hilton, and getting upgrades even outside of the US has been non-existent. 

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I find it hard to believe that you have never been upgraded.  Not even to a higher floor or a room with a view.  I get such upgrades almost all the tie when I stay at FS properties.  About 25% of the time (at FS) I get a suite.

I'm a leisure traveler and I  barely make Platinum each year, so I'm nowhere in your league labatarelle as a traveler.

usuallyinchina Platinum

I must be lucky, every stay I had last year and so far this year (paid, points, or certificate) was upgraded to a suite.  My travel was 85% in Asia and the balance in the US.  I only had to ask once for an upgrade and they responded that they were reluctant to offer it since it had no view and was on the 3rd floor (Marriot Hong Kong airport). 

beauvallonboy Platinum

Thanks for the response "usuallyinchina"! :-)  That was thoughtful of them and since you asked did they give it to you or just kept your room with a view?  Happy travels!

usuallyinchina Platinum

I was going to be at the hotel for 24 hours so I took the upgrade to the suite of course...I can see the planes taking off and landing from the Executive Lounge!

beauvallonboy Platinum

Nice! Sounds like Renaissance at Crystal City looking Ronald Reagan Airport (DCA).

beauvallonboy Platinum

Checked in at SF Marquis. In reservation agent request suite upgrade, late checkout and apparently neither was in my reservation when we checked in.  So I got a corner room, I asked about the upgrade request they said we are only able to get 1 level up from room we paid for!  In all my years with Marriott, I have never heard such a thing and the guest service lady was going to email the literature but hours later and nothing.  Suites were available I asked the hotel room controller he said it wasn't available check in night but tomorrow it will be available.  I told him it was available upon check-in but was told I wouldn't get it because of what the lady said.  He said no you'll get it tomorrow.  What a crock of shite!    Employees/Hotels in my opinion are choosing to make their own rules! To top this stay off pay $75 per night for the car to sleep as well! 

February and March upgrade report

Feb - Liverpool Marriott - upgraded to exec room

Feb - Windsor Marriott - Booked cheapest Queen room and upgraded to dbl/dble without question on arrival

Feb - Meon Valley Marriott - Upgraded to suite

Mar - Orlando Convention Residence Inn - booked largest 2-bed suite so no upgrade possible

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...