8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2016 5:38 PM by lamechanges RSS

When did you get Marriott Premier Platinum in 2016

npenn Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Good morning everyone. Just wondering when the Marriott travelers got their PP this year.  I am sitting at 158 nights with 10 more nights before I hit Lifetime Platinum.  I will stay another 15 to 20 nights this year putting around 178 so here are my questions.

• Past the points what is the real value of staying more than 75 nights?  It seems to me that it might make more sense to move on to another program like Hilton, which I just got upgraded to Diamond but need to stay 7 more times to keep my status by Feb 2017 which won't be a problem as  I'm on the road 4 days a week every week.
  • Is 178 nights enough to make PP?  I've read that the threshold could be as low as 125 but of course, no one knows what the number really is.  I've read that many hotel front desks don't know the distinction between Platinum and PP.  Why have add to a level to a program if customers can't take advantage of it?  So I should just stay 75 nights at Marriott, which I won't have to do after this year since I will be Lifetime Plat, because there is no benefit past Platinum.  Of course, Marriott is the loser here as that and additional $9,375 in revenue they would get to make at least me a bit happier (I spend 150 nights on the road so if I average just $125 per night x 75 night = $9,375).  You'd figure that Marriott would want to reward the ultra road warrior? 
  • Once you get Lifetime, did you see any differences at how the hotel treated you?  From what I read most likely not but would like to hear from others
  • I really enjoy the Marriott program but how do others feel for what is out there?  Hilton?  Hyatt? etc.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and gets to spend some time at home !

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: When did you get Marriott Premier Platinum in 2016
    seachi Platinum

You and I are at a similar junction. Having just hit Lifetime Platinum yesterday, I'm glad to have the milestone behind mebut debate if I should shoot for PP each year at Marriott or move onto another program such as Hilton.

If you're curious about Hilton properties, here's a decent map: Complete Map of Hilton Hotels

To answer your other questions...

• Past the points what is the real value of staying more than 75 nights? PP, if achieved allows for more exception-based service - such as "but I'm a PP, could you please?" moments for late checkout, upgrades, etc.
    • Is 178 nights enough to make PP? Most likely.
    • Once you get Lifetime, did you see any differences at how the hotel treated you? No word yet, since I hit it yesterday and am at PP now.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

npenn Platinum

Jerry thanks for the wise advice.  Now that I'm closing in on Lifetime Plat not sure what the value is other than points.  So I figure out that I spend about $20 to $25K at Marriotts a year so in reaching my LP I now have no incentive in staying at Marriott other than points so if I go to Hyatt or Hilton and the points are equivalent why would I stay at Marriott, so they lose at least half the money as I try to fulfill commitments at other programs.  I have 7 more stays to keep Hilton, which I can easily do so we shall see how well I like the other hotels

7 Gold 1 Reviews

Looks like I'm not quite going to make it unless they decide to combine Marriott & SPG nights. I'm sitting at 55 Marriott + 22 SPG. I have another 5 SPG scheduled for next month and will probably do another 3 or 4, but I'm not sure if they'll be SPG or Marriott yet.

I'm thinking next year I'll just concentrate on SPG since it is easier to get to Platinum that way and I'm not really concerned about Lifetime status.

seachi Platinum

And re: when was it effective - I noted it January 20th of this year.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Congratulations on soon reaching LTP. Now that you will, here are my comments in regards to your questions:

Since you will have LTP, there is NO REASON to chase MR nights – including the 75-night milestone – this would only earn you an annual P status but you already have LTP. There is virtually no difference between P, PP, and LTP statuses. It might be argued that PP is a smidgen better than P/LTP in possibly getting an upgrade over the P/LTP. Otherwise, let me emphasize that there are virtually no differences.

You are correct in having the Diamond match with HH. IMO, you are better served shooting for annual HH-D status in the future as ultimately, you can earn an HH lifetime status, too. So chase the LT status you have yet to earn.

178 nights for PP status? That is usually more than enough to earn PP, but you must have been P-status the previous two years as the PP status is conveyed after year 3 of unbroken P-levels when also achieving the 3% threshold of nights. (I never missed PP status for 9 straight years as I always had 168 or more paid nights, so 178 will put you there). The 3% threshold is open for debate, but generally MR postings over the years have suggested at least 125 to 135 paid nights to break the 97th percentile qualification.

The reason front desk staff do not recognize the guest’s P, PP, or LTP is that the reservation/check-in system does not distinguish between the three as it can only display “Platinum” for all three statuses. However, it has been my experience that 75% of front desk employees do KNOW there are different P-levels, but perhaps 20% can tell you how each of the 3 levels are achieved.

The best statement you make in you post is, “You'd figure that Marriott would want to reward the ultra road warrior?” I could not agree more; as mentioned, I was PP for 9 consecutive years wishing, hoping, pleading, begging, dreaming, pondering, and expecting that MR would want to find some “Plutonium” recognition with all the benefits accorded to Mr. Marriott when a guest. (Well, maybe not quite that much, but then, why not?)

In summary, I recommend you try to hit HH lifetime while you are still a road warrior. I have at most, 9 or 10 more travel years before retirement, so I am shooting for LTD at HH. Then once retired, I can have top-tier status at both Marriott/SPG and Hilton, opening up all kinds of options for leisure travelling.

lamechanges Platinum

I just hit LTP two months ago and I agree, MR doesn't seem to really care when you hit that mark other than to send a new card. I'm in a Hyatt now and going to shop the market to see what fits. I do miss the Marriott style though. Some hotels have the weirdest sense of what is comfortable for their guests.

I would say you will hit the LTP sooner or later just thru fate probably. Kind of wish they would have kept the time limit for the LTP recognition. Now with Marriott and Starwood as one and the points programs going to be combined next year, the platinum status is like owning a new iPhone, you are just one of millions.

Anyone know how many LTPs there are out there? How big is the pool.

seachi Platinum

You have a valid point about the number of LTP's. I also think LTP is too easy to hit. I hit it after just a few years of constant travel and throwing some events.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

All one has to do is search MRI for the word "diluted" or "watered-down" and there are lots of premonitions regarding the status levels being nothing as great as they once were in the 1990s or even through the early 2000s. With so much emphasis on earning millennials' dollars, the "boomers" in my age bracket have been overlooked despite our uber-loyalty and hard-earned LT-status under the former milestones and before carryover nights.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...