13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2016 6:20 AM by chobbits RSS

Avios and Marriott

seatexan Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Today I created an acct with British Airways.  They wanted me to convert to the executive club for free. This way I get Avios points.  I googled Avios and saw Marriott was a partner.  Is this the airline miles thing you can earn?  I can't use these points or convert them to Marriott right?

I am making ONE flight  - I made an acct and signed up simply for better protection on being walked AND in case there was any other advantages/promotions that came along.

So what is good about Avios and should I even bother for one flight?  Do I get any rewards for just having a basic acct with British Air?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Avios and Marriott
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Avios is British Airway's frequent flyer program(me) .  Avios has some great advantages in that you can travel on short haul flights with airlines that are British Airways partners for very little miles (as low as 4,000, or at least you used to be able to, for sure as low as 7,500 miles one way).  I believe you have to book those redemption flights through BA though.  Here's more info:

https://upgradedpoints.com/how-to-redeem-british-airways-points-avios-for-max-value/  As far as getting rewards for having a basic account, not sure, but other than receiving member deals and offers, I don't think so; it's like any other frequent flyer program... real benefits aren't realized unless/until you achieve some level of elite status.  About the Club | Executive Club | British Airways

I hope ks77 can weigh in here.  He's pretty knowledgeable about Avios redemptions on partnered airlines.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

seatexan Platinum

Thanks! When I would try to sign up for a non basic... it told me that my business didn't exist... not sure what that was about as I don't have a business and how would they even know if it was legit???

I wasn't sure if I could move any BA points I got to some other program.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Hey pluto77, I think you may have me confused with someone else. I have never flown BA. (I wish I could say I have!!!) Maybe one of the other regulars can shed some light on this.

Ha ha, sorry ks77.  I wonder who it was who provided all of that good info.  Huh?  I tried to search, but couldn't find anything.  Maybe it's an archived thread now.  It does look like you cannot transfer Avios miles to MR points, SeaTexan.

seatexan Platinum

I am all signed up and set to book little hoppers all over Europe if needed.  I do know I'll be taking at least one BA flight... so might as well get some points from it   Thanks for all the info! Went ahead and marked you "correct!"

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi SeaTexan,

pluto77 is correct - Avios points cannot be transferred to MR points.

As also stated by Pluto77, Avios does offer nice advantages, and we would suggest to signing up for Avios as they are partners with both Marriott and British Airways, so you can earn points for your hotel stays as well as when you fly with British Airways.  

If you sign up for British Airways and do not want points with Avios, you can earn miles with the airline instead of points.

seatexan Platinum

Hey AndrewT!

So I can earn Avois points by staying at Marriott? Hmmm So this is why there is a earn miles option?  But then I don't get lifetime points right?

seatexan Platinum

Well the BA site is frustrating.  I just made a Blue Executive Account and now I can't log in.  It keeps bringing me back to the same log in page... over and over.  I got an acct number from them, went to activate my acct and now there is a log in cycle... >.<

Even when I click, forgot my password, tho I didn't... it brings me back to the log in.  Yesterday it was having issues too.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

British Airways, being part of the OneWorld Alliance, should allow you to earn your miles in a partner's currency if you choose. I'm mainly an American Airlines guy, so if I ever fly British Airways, I get American miles. I'm not sure what your main carrier is, but if it's OneWorld, this is something to consider.

seatexan Platinum

It's United.

I only have 3 options... United, Delta, and American... all connect me in diff cities to get to my main destination.

Houston was the shortest flight around 50 min MAYBE and hour.

Dallas about 1.5 hours

Atlanta about 2 hours

So from LFT, IAH is the best hub.  I can get anywhere from there in less time.  Layovers usually being about 35-45 min between flights which is perfect.

painedplatinum, I do the same thing, earn either AS or AA miles on BA metal!  But as the article above mentions, sometimes you can fly on a partner airline using Avios miles for a greatly reduced rate (ie. LAX - OGG on AA for as little as 10K Avios, or fly a west coast leg, ie. SAN - SEA for as little as 7,500 Avios on AS, or fly JFK or BOS - DUB business class for 25K Avios on Aer Lingus.  Around 2 years ago and not sure if it's still possible, one could do a regional flight for as little as 4K Avios, now we're talkin.')  We signed up for the BA credit card to take advantage of the 40K Avios sign up bonus so that we could realize one of these redemption deals on partnered airlines (specifically had Maui in mind.)  The annual fee was waived the first year, then cancelled the card prior to the first anniversary.  There was an initial spend requirement, but was pretty low.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of British Airways in recent times, but the Avios program still has it's redemption advantages on partnered airlines.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

That's great stuff, pluto77 !!  I'm always a few steps behind when it comes to using the partner airline strategy. I know tryt53 was just cashing in on that excellent trip he took to Asia. I need to get on the ball!!

chobbits Platinum

Avios has become extremely mean, nowadays. If you book economy and do shorthaul then it will take forever to build any meaningful avios up. If you do longhaul on business, then that's a different matter. If you want to spend any avios collected on flights, then you still have to pay taxes (in the UK). On some flights, its just as easy to go on easyjet. The real value of Avios is upgrades to Premium economy or Business, but BA have made it more difficult / costly to do this.

Airlines now seem to be in a race to the bottom. I know the US started the "trend" of low cost / cheap flying but  its spreading over here now. BA will start charging for food on shorthaul flights from January - depressing

Finally, I doubt the exchange rate of transfer Avios : Marriott is worth it - it rarely is.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...