3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2016 11:36 AM by usuallyinchina RSS

Thailand Songkran Festival 2017

toothdoctor11 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My husband and I planning a trip to Thailand next April. The Songkran Festival is on our bucket list. We have a 4 year old, but we don't think we will bring him this time since it's our first trip to Asia. We were thinking 2 weeks spent between Bangkok, Chaing Mai (starwood has properties!) and Phuket/Koh Samui/Krabi (choosing one). We love the resort having culture but also the amenities we are use to. How long should we stay in each place?  What hotels are best from a location and amenities standpoint?  What are must-dos in each location for first timers? Thanks so much!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Thailand
  • Re: Thailand Songkran Festival 2017
    homoviator Platinum

so I'm doing something similar. 

I'm staying at the Ren in Bangkok when I fly in and fly out

Airbnb in Chiang Mai (sorry Marriott) 5 days within the gated walls.

Airbnb in Phuket area 1 week by Karon beach. The Marriotts looked very isolated in the Phuket area. Maybe I'm wrong, but some of my party really hate being stuck on resorts (not me!). So I have to find places that you can walk out the apt/hotel and be able to go along the beach and or town.

I'd love to do more Marriott resorts, but many of them tend to be really isolated from what I saw. I feel the same way about the ones in Costa Rica.

However, if that sounds like something you'd enjoy and it's just the two of you, some of the Phuket ones look interesting and if you book out far enough, I've seen some pretty good deals on their sites.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Contact the hotel and ask about policies. I have stayed at hotels in Thailand in the past that would not allow you in the lobby if you were soaked. Made you stand outside and towel off. If you haven't experienced Songkran you'll soon discover that it's an all out water war and no one cares how you're dress or if you're participating or just trying to walk back to your hotel. In many areas you will arrive at your hotel looking like you swam there. Literally that wet.

usuallyinchina Platinum

The Le Meridien in Chiang Mai is perfectly located adjacent to the night market and easy walking distance to the old walled center section of town.  I have stayed there many times even before my status was matched.  Very nice hotel and outstanding staff.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...