4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2016 8:10 AM by bejacob RSS

Expired points

daytrips Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone been able to get their expired points back?

I logged into my account recently and received a notification that my points had expired.  I was previously told before by someone from Marriott that points never expired.

I contacted Marriott Customer Service and they informed me that they sent out emails and postcards about the 2 year expiry policy change, so they refused to reinstate the points.  I am 100% sure I never received any such emails (I just went though my entire inbox) and asked them to verify this, but they said they couldn't.  And even though I signed up for a Marriott credit card and updated my address, it turns out the address update didn't get propagated to my Marriott account, so I never received any postcards informing me about the 2 year expiry policy change.

It doesn't seem right that Marriott would change the policy without proper notification.

Any advice?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Expired points
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I'd try again with the Marriott folks..

Just curious, how many points are we talking about and how long were you gone? Also, are you now traveling again and plan many stays in the near future?

I'm wondering if you have a few stays planned, whether that would get you a more sympathetic ear at Marriott Corp. Good Luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mustanggt Platinum

I must say that Marriott did a nice job of informing customers of a change in their policy regarding expiration of points.  The policy is very liberal in that there are multiple ways to keep your account active.  All that is required is any one of the following during a two year period: paid stay, redemption stay, redeem points, purchase points, use points with a partner program, use your Marriott Rewards credit card.  Marriott did mail notices to everyone using addresses customers have provided under their account profile.  Marriott also mentioned the change in various emails.  Lastly, it is also mentioned on their website.  Marriott is no different than most other companies that have a rewards program.  Typically points expire after a reasonable period of no activity, and many other companies even close out your account.  I doubt very much that Marriott will reinstate your points.  I have lost points with airlines and other companies over the years, but in the end I had no one to blame but myself.  

daytrips Silver

The problem is Marriott didn't notify me.

I double checked my emails and can be 100% sure I never got any email notifications about that, even though they have my correct email on file.  Plus, I updated my address of the Marriott credit card (which is how I got points), but for some reason it never got propagated to my Marriott account.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

daytrips, you mentioned that you have a Marriott credit card. Have you not used it in the past 2 years? Using your card is one of the ways to keep your points from expiring. Read Marriott Rewards Points Expiration Guidelines for a complete list of how to keep your account active. Making a stay is the most obvious one, but using the credit card just once every two years is the easiest way.

Were I in your postion ,I'd keep trying to get my points back, though as others have pointed out, Marriott did a pretty good job of trying to inform all of us about this policy change. Given that, I don't know how successful such attempts will be.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...