17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2016 5:50 PM by phctourist RSS

Finally, we Made It!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well, I finally made it on my fourth try.  Our 50th anniversary, to California, was postponed 3 times by my lymphoma but we finally made it and it was wonderful.  The hotels all acknowledged our special celebrations with upgrades, regardless of whether we stayed for cash or points.  (One gorgeous room and two suites.)  Interestingly, the worst room we had was in the a hotel where we did not stay on points. 

We arrived in San Francisco and spent the night at the SF airport Marriott.  It is an excellent hotel and we were upgraded to a beautiful room with a fine view.  We had our first experience with an M Club, there, and liked it.

Our first stop was the Ritz Carlton at Half Moon Bay.  Wow!  Spectacular setting for a fabulous hotel.  The staff was as good as any I have encountered, anywhere!  We were greeted warmly with an expression of congratulations for our double celebration.  We were given what several employees describe as their favorite room.  It was a large corner room on the top floor, with two separate (both spectacular) views.  One view was over the 18th hole of their Ocean golf course.  It is considered one of the most scenic holes, anywhere.  The other view was an ocean view at a time of unusually heavy surf. 

In our room we found a nice bottle of wine and a wonderful tray of Chocolate covered strawberries along with a nice note about our celebrations.

The food at the hotel was excellent.  The Club lounge make the typical CL look like a Motel 6. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner there and have a full bar included in the price.  The only downside to it was the cost, which was very high ($250 on weekdays and $300 on weekends) .  We did spring for it two of the five days that we were there.

One day we had a complaint that was so minor that I don’t even remember what it was.  I remember only that it was immediately corrected.  That night we found another bottle of wine in our room.

On the days when we did not spring for the Lounge the dining options were limited.  Breakfast was a fortune but we walked over to the golf course and ate a nice breakfast at the club house for less than $15 per person on the three days that we did not have the Club Lounge.  Dinner is served in two dining rooms.  On is very expensive and the other is more so.  Food and atmosphere were amazing but overpriced.  We brought the wine that we had been given to the dining room and both bottles were served to us without any corkage fee.

Our next stop was the Monterey Marriott.  We were greeted warmly and told that we’d been upgraded to a suite.  One evening we found a nice bottle of champagne in our room with a tray of cheese and fruit.  The staff, there, was excellent.

Unfortunately, the room was not well designed and the lighting was inadequate.    The TV was positioned beside the bed so you couldn’t watch TV in bed without turning your head sideways.  This was not comfortable.  The bathroom sink had minimal water pressure and was almost impossible to regulate.  The shower head had inadequate water pressure.  The hotel was unable to correct these problems.  Towels were flimsy and not what I expect from Marriott.   (We were given 5,000 points as an apology.)

We ordered dinner from room service one night and the burger was cold while the turkey sandwich was of poor quality.  At breakfast, the omelet station was excellent but the fruit was consistently of poor quality. 

Our final stop was the San Francisco JW Marriott.  That is an excellent hotel.  We had a gorgeous suite (staying on points) with a fine view. We were treated very well and really enjoyed our stay.  Service at the hotel was outstanding and the location was great.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Half Moon Bay, California, USA The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
Monterey, CA, USA
San Francisco-Oakland-Richmond/Berkeley, California, USA
  • Re: Finally, we Made It!
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Congratulations on a huge anniversary and hope all is well in your continued recovery.

Sounds like you enjoyed a wonderful time for the trip and good to hear you got some nice upgrades.  Thanks for a nice summary of your trip and sorry to learn of the inadequate time at the Monterey Marriott as we've had very good stays at the location many times.

Again thanks for sharing your trip with us and congrats.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Sounds like a great time. 50 Years! Wow! Congratulations.

nationwide Platinum

phctourist, congratulations on your anniversary and your recovery!!! 

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

phctourist

Terrific post, congrats on 50th anniversary and the best of luck in the future.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

Congratulations on your milestone anniversary and continued good health. So glad Marriott treated you well and acknowledged your special occasion with the upgrades and treats.  We have always found that they do take care of their members although not in the same way in all places and sometimes not up to the expectations of the guest.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

congrats from me also. I have stayed at all those hotels with the exception of Half moon Bay.. great that Marriott recognized your anniversary 

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Sounds like a great trip. Glad to hear the few troubling issues didn't dampen the rest of the journey.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Congratulations on a remarkable accomplishment, and so much to be thankful for.  Very happy for you.

HMB is a great place!  So glad they treated you well.

IMG_1296.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

IMG_1297.JPG

pluto77 Thanks for the Pics.  I have not yet loaded my pictures from my camera to my computer.  Your shots of HMB are spectacular and I enjoyed seeing them on ,y 21 inch screen instead of my viewfinder.

The trip was a long time coming but worth waiting for.

monisame Platinum

Congrats !!!! 50 years a lot.  I saw you are recovered this is a great new. Great trip. Thanks for sharing!!!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Its been quite the year for you, but I'm so pleased that it's ended with this wonderful trip, made all that much better by your successful battle. May you have many more such anniversaries!

Thanks, Bob, but another such anniversary would be 100 and I don't expect to make it to age 125.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Good point, let me reword...

hem, hem... and... May you have many future annual anniversaries!

I wish you and all my Insider friends, the same!  I did have an uncle who made it to 100, which would be my 75th.  That's a goal that will be difficult but not totally impossible.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Each day is a new day . Happy thanksgiving

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Congrats and thanks for the info.  That RC at Half Moon Bay is on my bucket list.  I drove by it and drooled a little just thinking about how deliciously luxe it must be.  I agree Marriott Monterey is nothing particularly special, but it is in a great location. 

To quote a commercial for Alka Seltzer in the 70s "Try it, You'll **** it"  who remembers that classic?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...