3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2017 6:31 PM by dinahm RSS

Vacations by Marriott - Puerto Vallarhata

becks Member
Currently Being Moderated

I booked a Dec family holiday through Vacations by Marriott and have been duped into thinking it was through an official Marriott site! After 5 hours on the telephone with agents, supervisors and managers trying to figure out what a holiday with flight, hotel and taxes that was quoted at a price that I agreed to but when it wast billed to my credit card, was charged at $423 more than I expected. I have tried without any success to get this refunded to me. Only when I called the Marriott International offices in Maryland, was I told that Vacations by Marriott is a partner but NOT the Marriott as I thought.

Reading through other posts, I am wondering how Marriott can allow Vacations by Marriott to use their name and logo to advertise holidays that are quoted at one price but charged at another.

Now that I look closely into Vacations by Marriott I see that this is indeed a third party site that uses the Marriott logo and in turns give Marriott a bad name. I am greatly disappointed in the service I received. I am now concerned about the quality of the holiday I now have with Vacations by Marriott and not the Marriott. Has anyone else had this experience? Do you have advice for me. I am most concerned since we leave on this vacation by Dec 21 days for 6 days. 

Furthermore, I will no longer get my Marriott-SPG points.

I would love to get your advice.

with thanks,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Vacations by Marriott - Puerto Vallarhata
    AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

So sorry to hear this. Please send me a direct message with your Rewards number and the reservation number for this booking and I will assist you as best I can.

Thank you

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

dinahm Gold

The charge on my Marriott Rewards Visa shows El*VBMarriott and the toll free number is somewhere in the Caribbean!

Also the hotel in Mexico (JW Marriott Los Cabos Resort) said the actual reservation was made by Expedia.  So I have been trying to straighten this out for two weeks.  Marriott says it's Expedia problem and Expedia says it's Marriott's problem.  We got NEW Credit card numbers because there was no way of knowing who got our credit card number!

Trying to get the charge reversed.  Chase bank is looking into this AND I reported them to the Attorney General's office in Washington state.  They are investigating these crooks!  They charge your card in the US the toll free number is somewhere in the Caribbean and they put me on hold twice for 20 minutes, then 30 minutes.  The staff at the hotel were nice enough to tell me the email address of the travel agency and they have a bogus email address!  They probably change their email address and phone numbers more often than they change their underwear! 

The woman I spoke to in Omaha at Marriott Rewards told me that Vac's by Marriott is somehow loosely associated with Marriott.com, she gave us 10,000 rewards points and it does not look like we will ever see the other 5000 they promised.  AND on the confirmation the phone number listed for the hotel is bogus. 

Marriott has some explaining to do and they still have not responded to the complaint through the attorney General's office,  Expedia is looking into it and seems to be on the ball.  If this does not get resolved I am getting an Alaska Airways Visa card to replace my Marriott Rewards Visa AND staying at other resorts.  Here is information on the Washington Attorney General's Website that helped me to decide to contact them: 

The Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission offer the following five clues you might be the victim of a travel sweepstakes scam:

• Do you have to make a purchase or send a "service fee" to receive the prize? Legitimate sweepstakes never require you to make a purchase or pay a fee to claim your prize.  Never give out your credit card or bank account number over the phone, or send wire transfer or money orders in order to claim a prize.
    • Is it hard to tell who is giving you the prize? Sponsors of legitimate contests or sweepstakes clearly identify themselves. They also provide a phone number or address you can use to request removal from their mailing list.
    • Are the terms of the promotion are nowhere to be found? Legitimate contests and promotions will include a lot of disclaimers, terms, and conditions, including rules and odds of winning.
    • Did you receive a bulk-rate postcard or flyer? It's a no-brainer, but if you truly won a big prize, you likely would not be notified by bulk-rate mail.
    • Is the promoter using a well-known brand-name to add legitimacy? It's illegal for a promoter to misrepresent an affiliation with — or endorsement by — a government agency or other well-known organization, airline, cruise line, or other company.

dinahm Gold

Charge was reversed by Chase!  What a nightmare. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...