2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2016 4:42 PM by deannad RSS

Is 80K bonus points for CC a gimmick?

kevron62 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I recently signed up for Marriott Rewards because I will be doing a lot more travel in the next few years. I also applied to the Marriott Rewards CC when I saw they were giving 80K bonus points. I was approved immediately and one month in I saw a $100 credit in my statement. When I called Chase they said that I was getting a different bonus ($100 statement credit plus 40K bonus points) and not the 80K points. She said that promotion was not what I signed up for. I told her I would not have signed up for the credit card for the 40K promotion. She said that 80K promotion was not the bonus at the time I applied. Again, I told her it had to be what was advertised because I would not have signed up for their CC. She then said the promotion was over but every where I look, the 80K promotion is still up. I called Chase again and they basically said the same thing the first person said. So disappointed I missed out on $40K points. Is this a common thing for Marriott and/or Chase?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
rewards
  • Re: Is 80K bonus points for CC a gimmick?
    seatexan Platinum

That is really odd... I signed up and spent the required amount and got the 80k.  This was a few years ago however.

I did call to confirm with chase about the 80k.  They gave me an option, 80k points, or something else along with the first year card fee waived.  I decided to pay the fee and try for the 80k points.  At the time there were 2 promos going on.

Maybe you have an e-mail with the offer on it? Or some e-mail confirming you did sign up for the 80k points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Is 80K bonus points for CC a gimmick?
    deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi kevron62,

We can assure you that the 80,000 points is not a gimmick, however, there are certain times when that promotion is running and other times when it is not, as well as other terms and conditions, such as the 80,000 bonus points offer not being available for current card members or previous card members who received a new card member bonus within the previous 24 months. If you send me a private message with your Rewards number and date you signed up for the credit card, as well as any additional materials, perhaps a confirmation email of signing up for the 80,000 bonus points offer, we can ask our team to double check and see if this fell within a promotional period.

Thank you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...