31 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2016 1:26 PM by insertcoffee RSS

Should we sue Marriott Rewards?

cygnusalpha Member
Currently Being Moderated

Short version of the story, my girlfriend stayed at the Marriott in Sydney for two weeks for work. And they didn't add the points.  A missing points application followed and still no joy.  They mentioned it was terms and conditions.  We checked and the stay qualified for points under the terms and conditions, it was an individual stay and not master billed.  They ignored the email for over two weeks and only responded when we said we would write to the CEO.  They have now invented a new reason which again isn't in the terms and conditions.

It's like they have forgotten why they have a rewards scheme.  Surely it is to reward people for choosing Marriott and to encourage people to continue to do so.  Right now they seem to not want to reward people for choosing Marriott and to discourage people from staying.  It really is bad customer service and bad business.

But what can we do?  These people seem hell bent on not honouring their own terms and conditions.  Do we sue them or just give up?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Should we sue Marriott Rewards?
    guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

A number of questions arise for me...Is the Marriott Rewards number in her name or in yours?  Was the stay booked through a third party (hotel.com, expedia etc)? Was it booked as a company promo(then they are reaping the benefits).

Could you add more details? As for suing the rewards program, I think maybe asking a moderator to step in and look into this might be a step in the right direction.

carat, AndrewT any insight would help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

cygnusalpha Member

Sure guidedog.

It is in her name.  It was not booked by a third party - the rate was the normal full rate.  The relevant Marriott terms and conditions read as follows...

Point or elite night credit accrual is limited to individual travel and the room must be paid for individually by the Member or direct billed to the party responsible for paying the bill.

It was individual travel and was billed to the party responsible for paying the bill - her company.  The problem is they have invented a non-existent clause and say if the bill is settled by credit card it doesn't count.  Seriously!  We never get this problem with Hilton Hhonors.  I blame myself - she could have stayed at the Four Seasons but I steered her towards choosing Marriott to the points.  They have let me down badly.  And it's not just an innocent mistake either.  They really would have ignored her last email forever if I had not suggested mentioning the CEO.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Your response brings more questions.

99.9% of bills are settled by credit card. You're telling us the property says they don't give points if the stays is settled with a CC? That makes no sense. More detail.

Is the points account in your girl friends name?

Does her company have a "deal" with Marriott? I have stayed at properties paid for by a client and found they had a deal where the company gets a rebate or a lower rate and all points are accrued by the company rather than the person staying.

cygnusalpha Member

They are saying that a credit card payment does not count as directly billed to the person who paid the bill under clause 7. The credit card is in the name of the company. I would have probably believed them if they had said that the first time.  But when people change their story and then refuse to reply to your email it starts making you suspicious.

I stress that this is not a master billed room. In effect they are saying that payment by credit card does not count as directly billed.  Which in my view is nonsense. As you pointed out most payments are made that way.

Jsucool76 Gold

Did she present the credit card? If so the credit card should have both her name, and the company name on it. Most company credit cards will do this for employees to prevent merchants not taking them.

cygnusalpha Member

In our company when the secretary books a hotel, a company wide Visa card is used to guarantee the booking. You would then normally pay with your own company credit card. However in this case because it was a large amount of money for a two week stay, the company wide card was used to pay in advance.

But this alone does not invalidate the points under their own terms and conditions unless the room was master billed.

It makes absolutely no sense to not give the points due.

It is as though they make a mistake and now want to find a reason not to give the points to cover for their original mistake.

Worse still, the service at the hotel wasn't that great. They tried to charge her $25 a day for wifi when it is free for rewards members and they didn't even do room cleaning which is something you expect hotels to do. Although they did give her a bottle of wine as an apology after the second time she had to mention it.

OK. Since the stay was prepaid by someone other than you that explains why you won't get points. If you had paid with the company CC that also had your name you would have received points. But this was different. Also explains the wi-fi. You may be Platinum but your company isn't and they are paying the bill.

cygnusalpha Member

Thanks John.  I think you have encapsulated the basis of the disagreement and your explanation is one that they have not provided.  There is one fault with your explanation though and that is that that is not what it says in their terms and conditions.  But they have since made up some terms and conditions to "prove" they are right.

Asking the other party to abide by their own terms and conditions is a modest request I would have thought but not so with Marriott it would seem.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi cygnusalpha,

Sorry to hear you've had some trouble getting points for a stay you believe to qualify for points. If you send me a private message with your Rewards number, reservation number or hotel name & dates of stay, and any other relevant information (date you submitted missing stay request, any Marriott team members you've spoken with, etc.) we will have our team take another look into this for you.

Look forward to receiving your message.

cygnusalpha Member

Thank you.  I will send a pm once I get the particulars.

peymanagement Platinum

cygnusalpha, unfortunately what you describe here is a common occurrence with stays at Marriott outside the USA and Canada. There is no penalty for Marriott to not post your points. I would say that my track record for EU stays is 50% discrepancy ranging from not at all or not even close, 90% in Canada and 100% in USA. You have stumbled onto the site that a moderator will solve your problem, but so many novice members just give up. Chasing points on here is so frustrating. brightlybob, is one of the two most respected insiders on here and has posted frustration with casing points. Bob give this member some encouragement.

cygnusalpha Member

Thank you for the encouragement.  In the meantime my girlfriend has replied so we'll see what they do. I will also pm the mod here.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

TO say that brightlybob is one of the two most respected Insiders could only mean that all other Insiders have given up membership.....

peymanagement Platinum

painedplatinum lol you are right, i overdid it.What i should have said, "The second most respected". Then everyone would think that was correct as they are the most respected.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Right, as one of the two most respected Insiders here, painedplatinum, what are you still doing around ...

And you too, peymanagement

Honestly, guys, I don't need the competition

cygnusalpha, I can sincerely say that point-shorting and missing stays are the bain of my Marriott life, nary a quarter goes by without at least one example of significant point shorting, or a missing stay, or missing nights credit. Although I do stay a lot at Marriott's I'm not one of the big dogs, and of my 35 stays so far this year, 9 have suffered posting problems necessitating a chase-up from me.

This years culprits have been

London Heathrow Renaisance - significant point shorting

Peterborough Marriott - missing stay

SoBe Stanton Marriott - significant point shorting

Cardiff Marriott - significant point shorting

Montreal Marriott - significant point shorting

Quebec Delta -  significant point shorting

Lingfield Marriott - significant point shorting

Warsaw Marriott - missing stay followed by significant point shorting followed by EQN shorting

Renaissance New York Times Sq - Points in lieu of breakfast not posted*    

*Note that the few hotels that have the huge concession of giving just 1000 points per night in lieu of weekend breakfast  have so far all "forgotten" to post the points. That is 3 stays at these hotels, Philadelphia, New York Marquis and now the Renaissance Times Sq and NONE have posted.

I've found no easy way to deal with these problems, sometimes a simple call sees a fast correction, sometimes an email. But if the correction gets stuck in the system it seems to stay stuck and requires dogged persistence to succeed. But, dogged persistence is what I have plenty of, and eventually the correction does take place. Even now, I'm still fighting for my credit for my August Warsaw stay and the last time Marriott ignored me for 3 months it cost them 30,000 points in compensation. And that was less than a year ago. I wish I could say it made a difference but as can be seen for the pitiful list above, it didn't...

cygnusalpha Member

Thank you.  I have pm'ed Deanna now - let's see what comes of it.  But I do admire your persistence!

bubbie Platinum 2 Reviews

This does not sound like the Marriott I know. I have always found them to be responsive and proactive in a positive way. Sorry to hear about your experience. please let us know the outcome.

cygnusalpha Member

Thank you.  To be fair, this isn't the first problem we have had with Marriott but the first problem we have had with the points.  I'm fairly tolerant with mistakes - we all make them - but this isn't a mistake - it looks to me they are actively making it difficult to claim the points.

Snail5930 Gold

I was in Sydney Marriott in August. I booked two rooms, but they gave me points for one room (in Europe it happens 100% of the time).

I went to the marriott.com and chose "Customer Support / Contact us via email/  topic missing stay ". There opens a chat window and after a 10 minute chat points came after day.

cygnusalpha Member

Thanks.  If only they had been that responsive for us!

insertcoffee Platinum

You've gotten some good responses from people here.

Didn't see where you said if you are from the US or not and/or whether the credit card used was a US-based card, both of which factors will affect potential courses of action downline.

I also didn't see if you said you actually *called* the hotel rather than relying on e-mail.

In any event, overseas points awarding can be a sticky wicket. I think threatening a lawsuit in a public forum is a bit much prior to performing reasonable due diligence and alternatives in the nearer term.

I had not heard of this particular subset of T&C 'violation' clauses before this week, when a GM basically described this exact thing to me-- and that 99% of the time, they will just give you the points anyway. I have not been able to follow up with this individual since then, but now it is of even more interest to get further clarification on what was being said.

Anyone who thinks they have the time to potentially sue Marriott Rewards over points definitely has time to follow up further and make sure another channel or pursuit is more effective-- which is what should be taking place regardless.

Happy hunting, and good luck. Hope you are able to get this resolved in a satisfactory manner.

cygnusalpha Member

We are in the UK and it is a UK credit card.  We didn't call the hotel as it is in Sydney and has a 11 hour time difference.  We just followed their process and clicked on missing points.  I wasn't threatening a lawsuit - but asking whether I should.  I have researched more on that in the UK and it is very straightforward to make a small claim - online - and without lawyers.  We are already pursuing other channels before bringing it to the forum but you may have read already that we have been given the run around and they have used evasive tactics.  

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

It has been my experience in the past when booking in my name, but my company prepays or direct bills stay, there are no points credited. I have called Marriott Rewards to verify in the past and that was the case.  This is my experience in the United States. Not sure that helps you, good luck.

cygnusalpha Member

Thank you.  The issue is that their terms and conditions say that you do get points if it is a direct bill. So they really should do the decent thing and honour their own terms.

I'm replying to this post rather than your reply to me because of the term you used in this post. This was not a "direct bill". Direct bill is when the company makes a reservation and says "send us the bill". Instead, they made the reservation and you paid with a company credit card. I think you mentioned in one post that the property said the problem was that you paid with a credit card.

Here is the relevant policy: "Point or elite night credit accrual is limited to individual travel and the room must be paid for individually by the Member or direct billed to the party responsible for paying the bill. "

Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions

cygnusalpha Member

Thanks John.  Yes the terms and conditions does say

"Point or elite night credit accrual is limited to individual travel and the room must be paid for individually by the Member or direct billed to the party responsible for paying the bill. "

However it does not define direct bill is when the company makes a reservation and says "send us the bill" and it does not preclude direct billing paid by credit card.  The only exclusion is if it is master billed.  If Marriott want to review their rules and change them to what you say then that's fine but I prefer to deal with what they say at the moment.

Also we shouldn't lose sight that the whole point of a rewards scheme is presumably to reward people for choosing Marriott and to continue choosing Marriott.  Therefore your explanation that you don't get rewarded for choosing Marriott but do get rewarded if your company chooses them makes no sense.  And if that is what the designer of the scheme intended then they really do need to go back to school.

That's true. They don't define "direct billing" in their terms. They also don't define "water". Direct billing is well understood not only in hotels but in business in general.

As far as whether or not they SHOULD include direct billed rooms, you make excellent points. But part of your original point was that this was not included in the terms and conditions. It is.

cygnusalpha Member

Yes John.  Direct billing is well understood in business.  My business paid a direct bill by credit card yesterday and sometimes by direct transfer but you say that credit cards do not count as direct billing.  I stand by what I said.  Nowhere in the terms and conditions does it say that credit card payments do not count as direct billing - even if you or they claim it does. 

But credit to you for putting the opposite argument - you are more cogent and responsive than Marriott have been. 

notyou Platinum

If you pay with a company credit card, you should (and in my case always) get points.  Company credit cards (at least in the US) are still your responsibility and YOU are still paying the bill.  Yes, the company may reimburse you, or even pay the credit card directly, but the bill is still your personal responsibility.  If your company takes too long to reimburse, you pay out of pocket otherwise get stuck with late payment fees.

By your logic, if I were to pay the bill with my credit card and then a family member reimburses me I shouldn't get points or night credits.  There's no difference, my name is on the card, I am the one ultimately responsible for the bill.

I had a company CC card but it had my name on it. If the card is in the company's name, not yours, you are not paying the bill. Whether that logic makes sense or not, that is the way it works.

insertcoffee Platinum

Concur with what you are saying here 100% and that has also been my experience.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...