14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2016 9:04 PM by bejacob RSS

When does a status year end, please?

boingboing Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello everybody

I realise this is a real 'novice' question and I'm almost ashamed to even ask it (but I have spent 20 minutes hunting the Marriott website to try to find out before bothering you). I got my gold status in September this year. Can somebody tell me when that will expire please? Do I stay gold for 12 months - so expire next September, or do I get it to the end of next year or some other odd date?

I generally take my main holiday - and spend my Marriott nights - in October so I'm hoping I'll still be Gold this time next year.

Many thanks in advance.

Barbara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: When does a status year end, please?
    droma Platinum

You will keep your status for the remainder of this year and all of next year.  Congrats on gold!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

boingboing Platinum

Fantastic Droma. That's great news.

Thank you so much for taking the time to get back to me.

Barbara

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

If you earned your Gold status this year (September), you will remain Gold for all of 2017. In fact, your status will carry over to the beginning of February 2018.

boingboing Platinum

Wow, even better.

I'm actually going to miss platinum by just one night this year so I should start next year with a hefty set of roll-over nights (24 from this year plus 10 for my credit card) and then I'm in a great position to start the race for gold again.

Barbara

peymanagement Platinum

When i was a gold, I hit 74 and called on Dec 20 that year and was awarded platinum. I would normally say stay gold and get the roll over but next year has some unknowns and i think it is in your interest to be plat.

boingboing Platinum

Wow! Tough decisions to make.

I mostly stay at a Courtyard in Germany so there are no great benefits in being Platinum and they almost always give me a very nice upgrade ever since I was a mere Silver.

I'll need to think this one through. It's a real 'be careful what you wish for' scenario.

peymanagement Platinum

In general there is not much difference, but as they merge the programs, things may change.

droma Platinum

I would make sure to hit Plat, the rollover are nice, but Marriott does a soft landing anyway.  So if you don't reach Plat again the following year, you will only be demoted to Gold after that.

Also, it sounds like you stay a decent amount and will next year, so get the 50% bonus points with Plat as opposed to 25% with Gold.

If you make Platinum, you'll retain that status all of next year, and even if you don't make it 75 nights next year, you would only drop one level (back to Gold) the following year. The perks may not be that different between Gold and Platinum, but the points earnings are.

Either way, you're in good shape. Starting the new year with a bunch of rollover nights is not a bad strategy nor is grabbing that one extra night and earning Platinum. There are good reasons for either option.

boingboing Platinum

Thanks to everybody for indulging a newbie with a daft question. You've all give me lots of things to think about.

Barbara

peymanagement Platinum

Not a daft question, actually a very good question.. let us know what you end up doing.

crpeck Gold

Another newbie - I'm Gold, if I get to Platinum this year do I not get any rollover nights? Is any of this actually documented somewhere?

From what I've seen here, if I get to Platinum I retain that for next year, and, then if I don't book enough nights to retain Platinum, I drop back to Gold in 2018?

I never really understood how the whole rollover nights works, does anyone know?

Thanks

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi crpeck, welcome to the Insiders forum.  It's a great place to learn and share all things Marriott and then some!

If you are currently gold, and you make platinum by the end of the year, you will get rollover nights for nights earned this year in excess of 75 nights.  So if you earn say, 78 nights, 3 nights (78-75=3) will rollover into next year.  They can only rollover once however, so will not count again at the end of 2017 for rollover nights into 2018.

If you are currently gold and you don't make platinum (say for example, you only earn 70 nights), thereby retaining gold for next year, you will rollover 20 nights (70-50=20) into next year.

Here's where it gets tricky... If you are currently gold, and you do not stay enough nights to retain gold (50) and drop back to silver, you will not receive any rollover nights.  You only are awarded rollover nights if you either retain your current status, or move up in status and end the year with an excess of nights (not counting last year's rollover nights.)  Clear as mud, right?

Here's a link to rollover nights FAQ's

Elite Rollover Nights FAQs Page

I posted a topic about a year ago that might be helpful. Rollover nights can be a tricky subject. Maybe this will help.

How to Calculate Rollover Nights

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...