3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2016 8:16 PM by clebert RSS

St Kitts Marriott mid- late December looking for ideas & advice

karenjmn Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Marriott Community,

Me and my boyfriend are spending 8 days in St Kitts mid December. We've traveled to Fl- primarily the Keys, Grand Cayman, Hawaii and Aruba and looking for advice on activities and vendors others in the community recommend and those to avoid. We are active, in our mid- late 40's, and don't have a strict budget.

Also, if anyone has recommendations on ferry or excursions to Nevis that would be helpful. Based on trip advisor it looks like the most inexpensive may not have the most reliable schedule.

We are staying at St Kitts Marriott and will most likely rent a car for a portion of the stay. We are looking to go fishing, sailing, SUP and snorkeling. Curious if anyone has had an experience with Speedy 4 Charters or VIP charters?

Thank you!

KJ

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
St Kitts Marriott
  • Re: St Kitts Marriott mid- late December looking for ideas & advice
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

We took the regular public ferry to Nevis and had no problem with the schedule.  It was fun.  We hired driver John Prentiss to take us all around Nevis and show us the sights.  He was great.  We took a bus tour around SK to see the sights, go to Brimstone Hill, Romney Manor, Carbelle Batik, etc.  Recommend that as well.  Did not rent a car as taxis are cheap and plentiful and the drivers will take great care of you, dropping you off and picking you up at your leisure.  Plus they drive on the left side of the road.  Did not do a fishing or diving/snorkeling charter.  Tried to take the train around SK but it wasn't operating on the day we picked.  Loved SKN!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

morsec Platinum

We stayed at the MVC property on the hotel grounds and had a great time on the island.  At the time we stayed there was a Hertz location at the hotel, so we took a cab to hotel and picked up our car when we got there.  On our first full day there we took a tour that picked us up from the hotel, took us to the ferry, and then drove us around Nevis.  On the second day I turned in the rental car.  For the reasons stated by clebert and the fact that parking at the hotel seemed to be quite limited, we decided to do everything by taxi or tours that would pick us up at the hotel.  There are some good restaurants in the hotel and within walking distance.  We ran into some people who go every year and rely on the same cab driver each year.  We enjoyed the tour around Nevis, the train/tour around St. Kitts and the Fort at Brimstone Hill.  As mentioned above, the train does not run every day, so check before you go. 

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Agree with morsec about restaurants.  We ate at all of them on the property and enjoyed them all, especially the pizza shack for something quick and inexpensive.  Try the Caribbean style pizza - it was great.  Got Caribbean rock lobster at the seafood place on seafood night with the steel pan drum musicians on site.  Very Caribbean feeling.  There will also be MVCI owner's events if you own a Marriott timeshare, and those were nice with free drinks and food.  Many restaurants within walking distance of the Marriott and also a liquor store, souvenir shops, and a small Ram's grocery with the basics.  Very safe to leave the property and visit those.  We snorkeled off the beach at the Marriott near a small reef/breakwater and saw quite a few fish.  One of our favorite trips. 

I should also add that another Insider had a not-so-great experience there and commented that service was not too good and the staff seemed to expect tips.  I am not sure if some folks don't tip in the Caribbean or it's not normal to tip there, or what the situation was.  As a general rule, we tip for all service-related items, including housekeeping, even when we're not in a part of the world where tipping is normally expected (i.e. I tipped my cab driver in Hong Kong, and he politely tried to give me back the money because they are not used to tipping, but he did a great job and the fare was cheap, so I wanted to tip him and I did without making a fuss about it).  We found that a nice tip (nothing over the top, just a reasonable amount) was greatly appreciated, and after the staff got to know you (they are friendly and will try to get to know you and will recognize you around the resort) they went out of their way to provide excellent service.  So I guess what I'm saying is start off your stay by giving reasonable tips to the staff that you'd ordinarily tip in the US (i.e., bellhops, waiters, etc.) and you will find the staff will be very accommodating.  The restaurants do have a service fee, but we still tipped a modest amount on top of that as the service fee was less than we'd ordinarily tip in the US.

2015-02-09 12.46.17.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...