19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2016 8:29 AM by erc RSS

Should I Stay (Marriott) or Should I Go (SPG)?

nationwide Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I currently have 109 nights for 2016, with only 8 completed thus far against the fall mega bonus.  I have another 12 scheduled to get me to 20 and a whopping total of 20,000 mega bonus points.   That said, I have LTP status, and don't need nights for qualification or extra rollover.  Given the platinum status match at SPG, and that they are offering 2x points for weeknight stays (minimum of 2 nights) through mid-December (a promotion I just registered for), I am thinking I should reserve 10 of those nights at SPG properties.  I don't think there is any chance of me getting bumped up to PP status...  I would be earning points as a Platinum at Starwood, double up on them with the promotion, and then triple them again by moving them back to Marrriott.  Is this correct?  Wouldn't I be better off in terms of maximizing my points earnings?  Am I missing something in my thinking?  Just want to check with my fellow Insiders before I wander off the beaten path. 

• Re: Should I Stay (Marriott) or Should I Go (SPG)?
    peymanagement Platinum

nationwide it does seem like a no brainer for your situation given that the points can be transferred back. Even if you got PP status, I have not heard many that think that is anything special. I am going to try my diamond Hilton before long to see first hand how that is. My problem with Hilton is they have not been competitive.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Nationwide

I have no earthly idea what you should do in this situation, but you peeled a scab off a wound I have regarding the Fall Megabonus....  I recall when it was first announced and the cheerleaders were singing it's praises.  Well, I have 140 nights already this year, but will only get 20 nights (30 longshot) for this bonus period....  What a JOKE this mini-bonus is turning out to be.  Regarding your primary question, any way to stick it to the man should be taken advantage of.....

shoeman

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

How do you take a shower? POLL - AR15.COM Any time The Shoeman gets revved up, it's time to sit up, take notice,

and bring back some Hall of Fame icons;

nationwide  - the only obvious thing I would remind you not to "miss in your thinking" is of course, The Price. Dollars over points, so just make sure you're not 'buying' those points if it's your dinero.

Keep on keepin' on Shoeman

IMG_3046a.jpg

Scottsdale, Az

nationwide Platinum

erc - I appreciate the response, and realize the magnitude of getting expert advice from shoeman1000  You probably could guess this about me, but I treat my company's money with the same care and concern I treat my own.  I am always looking to stretch the dollar... stewardship is my middle name. 

erc Platinum

To Stewardship and all Insiders

Since this thread attracts the number crunchers among us, I thought I'd share the following, perhaps very specific, and no doubt, short term info - but it's worth a look, if it's in your plans (probably as good of odds as snagging a Flash sale deal after Thanksgiving ) spread the word.

I am finding some worthwhile weekend price offerings (AAA, Sr. and of course, advance even less) at Starwoods (specifically Westins and Sheratons) in the DC market in December - so check out your December plans in case it applies to other cities as well.

Here's one that blew my mind - The Westin Dulles (I've had meetings there - a nice property) is offering a Package deal - $76 and up to 14 days of parking for IAD (a 10 minute free shuttle provided), you only have to stay one night (Terminal parking is $22 per day, and Econo, almost as far away is $10).

So check out Starwood on weekends in December (along with triple points), there could be some there, there

nationwide Platinum

shoeman1000, I couldn't agree more with your take on the bonus.  We haven't heard from anyone that another 10 nights unlocked a next level bonus, so I am assuming it isn't there.  Moreover, I don't think I will have any more than the 12 nights I have scheduled, even if there was some super secret next level.  Grrrrr....  So, I'm grateful for your advice, and with clenched fist will start making some reservations (with price in mind according to our good friend erc). 

mustanggt Platinum

nationwide. In your particular situation SPG might be a better bet to finish off the year with in order to maximize points.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Oooh, Monday morning maths - nothing better

To calculate this I am assuming you're staying at full point earning hotels, that these being TRIPLE SPG promo weekend stays with the fragrant Mrs Nationwide you'll choose the breakfasts rather than the points and that the hotels both offer points in lieu of housekeeping (green choice), very common at Starwood, spottier with Marriott. Finally I assume you're reaching the Marriott Minibonus thus earning 1,000MR minibonus points each night.

So on a $100/night weekend, TOTAL $200

Marriott:

Base 2,000 + 1,000 Plat + 500 welcome + 500 green = 4,000MR plus minibonus 2,000 = TOTAL 6,000MR

SPG

Base 400 + 200 Plat + 500 green = 1,100SPG + w/end bonus 800 = TOTAL 1,900 - converts to 5,700MR

So, Nation-Steward-Wide, there's a tiny earning advantage to Marriott if, but only if, you manage to stay in 10's and hence gain the full "advantage" of Marriott's Fall Minibonus, AND stay at a Marriott that offers 500 points to forgo a nights housekeeping, and by no means all do. Miss out on both those with Marriott and you're down to 3,500MR against SPGs (after conversion to Marriott) 5,700!

Staying somwhat more luxuriously, say $200/nt, $400 for the weekend

Marriott:

Base 4,000 + 2,000 Plat + 500 welcome + 500 green = 7,000MR plus minibonus 2,000 = TOTAL 9,000MR

SPG

Base 800 + 400 Plat + 500 green = 1,700SPG + w/end bonus 1,600 = TOTAL 3,300 - converts to 9,900MR

Here SPG has the slight advantage, but if you can't get your minibonus in even 10s and the Marriott green choice then you're reduced to only 6,500MR with Marriott, against SPGs (after conversion to Marriott) 9,900!

As a LT Plat I would certainly give SPG a go here, even more so if I already had my 10/20/30 minibonus nights planned and these were simply the stragglers...

Message was edited by: brightlybobto reflect the TRIPLE points on weekend stays element of the promo.

nationwide Platinum

brightlybob, thanks for being the first to break out the pencil and paper here.  That's what I really need, a side-by-side comparison.  Isn't the weekend bonus at SPG a 3X mutiplier of normal earnings right now?  That's the promotion I signed up for. I am just trying to make sure I understand your bonus logic for the weekends. 

So wouldn't it be?

Base 800 + 400 Plat + 500 green = 1,700SPG + w/end bonus 3,600 = TOTAL 5,300 - converts to 15,900MR

If this example is correct, it's much more lucrative to go SPG, right?

THese calculations are never easy as each scheme has its own foibles, but I've managed the maths further down the page... alas it's not as high as you'd think but SPG is highly advantageous if you can't make the even 10 night staysto trigger the Marriott Fall minibonus

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

My recent stay posted as:

3680 Stay

1840 Elite Bonus

500 Welcome Gift

3680 More For You DBL

3680 More For You TPL

So, that's a total of 13,380x3 = 40,140MR equivalent.

That's not counting the points I'll get from using my SPG AmEx to pay.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

nationwide, was that weekend bonus at SPG a target audience as I've not signed into my account there since I opened it last month?  Guess I'll have to go look as it might have me changing some hotels if it is in fact 3X. 

Also, most excellent words from three Insiders that know their stuff alright.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

brightlybob - I concur with your numbers. On purely "points earning" your recommendations are spot-on, however since nationwide is already LTP, any nights with MR really do not count for much and he is too far from the "magical PP" number of nights estimated to be around 150. Not to mention, PP has so little to offer above LTP, I think his chances to turn SPG points into MR points at the end of the year is less risky. My recommendation - see what SPG offers - if for no other reason, their lounges can be much better food-wise.

nationwide Platinum

pingreeman, thank you for the thoughtful analysis of the situation.  Much appreciated.  I am going to give it a go on a couple of stays.  Now that I am looking at my travel plans closely, I really need to move around more than the two night minimum requirement stipulates for several of these trips.  But, I do intend to make a few SPG stays.  Thanks again!

Well following @7 reply, I now see that the extra points promo only apply to the base earnings. I thought they applied to the elite as well as SPG doesn't word there elite level as earning extra, but rather that each level earns a different number of points. So to correct this I have recalculated and amended my earlier post and reproduce the recalculations now.

So on a $100/night weekend, TOTAL $200

Marriott:

Base 2,000 + 1,000 Plat + 500 welcome + 500 green = 4,000MR plus minibonus 2,000 = TOTAL 6,000MR

SPG

Base 400 + 200 Plat + 500 green = 1,100SPG + w/end bonus 800 = TOTAL 1,900 - converts to 5,700MR

And on a more luxurious $200/nt TOTAL stay $400

Marriott:

Base 4,000 + 2,000 Plat + 500 welcome + 500 green = 7,000MR plus minibonus 2,000 = TOTAL 9,000MR

SPG

Base 800 + 400 Plat + 500 green = 1,700SPG + w/end bonus 1,600 = TOTAL 3,300 - converts to 9,900MR

nationwide Platinum

brightlybob, what's a few hundred points among friends, right?    I really appreciate you breaking this down Bob.  Hope you have a great day today! It's gonna be nuts here in the states, no matter what the conclusion of this election is.  I sure wish we had a shorter campaign season the way you do!  I digress; I have sidetracked my own thread

Well without the Marriott Fall mini bonus and the Green choice housekeeping points passing weekend stays to SPG become a bit of a no brainier...

$200=3,500MR at Marriott, but 5,700MR at SPG.

$400=6,500MR at Marriott but 9,900MR at SPG

At those figures SPG is definitely worth a weekend punt...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...