7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2016 9:56 AM by clebert RSS

Washington, D.C. JW, Marquis, Ritz, Renaissance or Mayflower

savannahrae Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello everyone,

I am going to D.C. for a few days for business/pleasure and am looking for recommendations on where to stay.  I am wanting to go for a few runs and potentially grab a drink a few nights. Any recommendations? Here are the ones I am processing: JW Marriott; Renaissance Downtown; Marriott Marquis; The Ritz; and the Mayflower Hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washignton, District Of Columbia, USA
  • Re: Washington, D.C. JW, Marquis, Ritz, Renaissance or Mayflower
    monisame Platinum

Ritz is the best. Also JW is a great hotel, the location is really perfect, the staff one of the best. Service superb. I will forget  the other ones. Sure more insiders will add good choices for you as well. Enjoy

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nmballoonist Platinum

I have only stayed at the JW and the Mayflower, so I can't comment on the others.  My preference is the JW, primarily due to the location.  Couple of blocks from the Metro Center station, close to the Mall for runs, near the White House, good restaurants nearby (I like Old Ebbitts on 15th), views of the Mall, and great staff.  The Mayflower is very nice and has a lot of history.  Near Farragut Metro station.  Good restaurants in area (try Pizzaria Pardisio or Al Tiramisu on P Street or La Tomate on Connecticut).  Can't go wrong with either one.  Hopefully ssindc will weigh in.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I like the new Marquis.  The rooms are spacious and so far it has the best M-Lounge I've seen.  The restaurant food is also really good at this location.  Close to the Metro as well.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

You can't go wrong - lots of personal preference at play here - and prices fluctuate wildly. 

I'm partial to the Mayflower, but that's just me.... 

We use the Ritz for professional/social functions (large dinners) often; indeed, I was just there for a reception/dinner there a couple weeks ago. (It housed the Argentinian football/soccer team when they came to DC, and it was a madhouse because everyone wanted to see Lionel Messi.)  There's almost always some fun eye candy out front if you like high end/exotic automobiles. The Ritz at Pentagon City and out at Tysons both often offer outrageously attractive weekend rates, so they're worth a look at well.

There's a reason the JW is so popular, and I can't count the number of conferences/programs I've attended/participated in there.  Also, a fun location.

Some other threads:

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I am a big fan of the Mayflower but I've heard only great things about the JW.  Have not stayed there.  Have stayed at Marriott Metro Center and got great service there.  It's standard Marriott flagship brand fare and doesn't have the character of the Mayflower. 

msannmcd Platinum

I'm partial to the Renaissance because most of my customers switched to the Marquis and I value not having to see them in the lounge for breakfast and cocktail hour. It's also closer to the new City Center which has some excellent dining choices like Del Frisco's, Fig & Olive and my personal favorite Centrolina (thanks Chef Amy Brandwein!). Also behind the Ren on I St is Victor Albisu's Del Campo. A block down on 9th is Cuba Libre which has a great happy hour and great food. Another good happy hour is at Ruth Chris on 9th. For Mediterranean food try Zatinya near the National Portrait Gallery also on 9th.

Clearly the Marquis and JW are the premier DC hotels. The JW was recently renovated. The Mayflower is nice but suffers maintenance issues and has a very small lounge but Rudy who runs it at night is top notch. The Courtyard on 9th above Gordon Biersch has a lounge.

For the location, service and amenities, my #1 choice is always the Ren. I understand the lounge will be renovated in December however. Good luck with your choice!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...