6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2016 3:27 AM by gaspemic RSS

Visa Marriot Card in Austria

gaspemic Member
Currently Being Moderated

I am sitting here in the heart of Europe, but it seems that I will not get any benefit from a Visa Card branded by Marriot (and not only branded) - does anyone have experiences in this way as and help is welcome on this Topic.... since I am not a frequent traveller I was searching for Options to get more nights to get a better Status ...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Linz, Oberosterreich, Austria Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Linz
Vienna, Vienna, Austria Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Vienna Messe
Austria
  • Re: Visa Marriot Card in Austria
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

You are indeed sat geographically at the heart of Europe, alas, that's not the heart of Marriott-Dom which is to be found in Bethesda, USA. Of Marriott's 5,700 hotels, over 4,000 are to be found in the USA.

Thanks to a brand portfolio that runs from cheap-and-cheerful Fairfield Inns all the way to the Top-Hole-Luxury of Ritz it's almost impossible to sneeze in Continental USA without your spittle falling on one Marriott brand or another. For instance in LA alone it has 140 hotels, that's more than Germany AND Britain combined. And those two countries have Marriott's biggest presence in Europe. And LA is only a city!

Added to that is the EU interchange cap on credit cards at 0.3% which leaves very little real room for buying points or miles. And added to that is he regulatory requiremenrts in each EU country which although there's an element of passporting here there are still registration and national regulations to adhere to that differ across the EU as each country jealously guards its banking system and you have high costs to launch such a card with very low returns. And Austria has only 21 Marriott-branded hotels nationally, not much of a base to launch a national credit card from.

Never say never, but I think a Marriott affiliated credit card for Austria is highly unlikely unless the EU decides on much closer banking integration which would probably require federation into a political union - mind you, in the absence of the "The awkward one" (Britain) that idea could again find traction... Anyone remember the phrase "ever closer union"?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gaspemic Member

Yes that´s the problem over here ... maybe i should open an account at Chase real quick :-) otherwise I will have a Long beard until I reach any proper Status ...

gaspemic Member

I was wondering if I can get an Chase credit Card as an non-US citizen ...

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

BBeing a Brit, that answer I'm afraid I can't give. I remember reading that the forms ask for your national insurance number, or the American equivalent, but I can't see why someone with a US address wouldnt be able to get a credit card, US citizen or not, after all with a US address you are subject to US disclosure and credit laws at the time of application. Of course whilst the law may not prevent a credit card being given, the banks own policies or attitude to risk may prevent it...

gaspemic Member

Yes that´s the Situation where i have fallend into :-) so I will see if I can get an chase Card - since i have a visa account record it is maybe possible ...

gaspemic Member

the first attempt results in a complete failure: the online System requires state und ZIP - both i do not have :-(

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...