5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2016 8:44 PM by eyesee RSS

Marriott Math, please help

eyesee Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello.

Thanks for your help with Marriott math calculations.

Currently I have 44 elite nights for this year.  Of these, 10 were rollover nights from 2015.

I probably will not hit 50 nights by the end of the year.

Question: how many rollover nights will I get for next year?

Is it 44 nights minus the 10 rollover already used minus the 15 for silver status?

Or just 44 - 10?

FYI, I am a Platinum member this year, but also have Gold lifetime status. I don't know if this enters into the calculations, except to say I don't need to achieve 50 nights to maintain a good status.

Thanks for your billiant minds!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Math, please help
    nationwide Platinum

eyesee, you are going to get far better answers than the one I will attempt to provide, but I'll give it a go anyhow.

My take is that the math would be 44 nights - 10 rollover nights - 50 needed for Gold = -16.  Of course, you wouldn't start out in the negative, rather at zero again.  I think they will use all of your nights against Gold, despite the fact that you are Lifetime Gold.  I think you would only realize rollover nights if you had some in excess of 50 for this year.   I don't think the fact that you are platinum going down only one level to gold mitigates this, but this is where I could be wrong.

Again, I could be completely off base, so I look forward to seeing other replies from bejacob, erc, or brightlybob among others.  In fact bejacob wrote an excellent post on the subject, and I have included the link below. His post clearly explains that any total less than what you need to maintain current status will result in no rollover nights.  I don't think lifetime status, or one level downgrade, will have any bearing on that outcome if I read his explanation correctly

How to Calculate Rollover Nights

As an aside, I think you will be afforded an opportunity to either buy back your platinum status for 2017, or you can take a Platinum challenge early in the year (9 stays over 3 months) in order to get the status back.  While that may not seem important, it is beneficial to you to get the extra 25% points earnings on your stays to aide in your pursuit of lifetime platinum status (2,000,000 points).

I am anxious to see others reply, as I haven't faced this unique situation before.  Happy travels!

Message was edited by: nationwide to provide a link to bejacob's treatise on rollover nights :)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

If you don't earn enough nights to retain platinum status, Marriott will give you a soft landing to gold status for next year (they will only drop you one elite level at a time, regardless of how short you fall from retaining current status). Anytime you drop a status level in the elite scheme, you will have no rollover nights into the following year.  So in your case, assuming you don't get to 75 nights this year, you will drop to gold next year with no rollover nights. No math involved here, really. 

peymanagement Platinum

pluto77 is correct with the soft landing. But you also mention that you are lifetime gold. So no matter what your yearly spend is you will never go back to being a silver again.The other thing is I believe the rule is when one is relegated to the next lower level, they do not have carry over nights.

Message was edited by: peymanagement

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Thanks for the shout out, nationwide. As pluto77 and peymanagement correctly noted, that no matter how many "potential" rollover nights one might have, if you get a "soft landing" downgrade, you automatically receive zero rollover nights.

Here's the Elite Rollover Nights FAQs Page. Note the second to last line under "Key Information."

eyesee Platinum 2 Reviews

Ahhhh, thank you all for your clarification.  I have met the Platinum requirement for so long, that I forgot the fact that nights only rollover if you maintain your current elite status level.  Too bad. I was hoping that what has now turned out to be my inaccurate count for supposed rollover nights would help me achieve Platinum for 2018.

Thanks again for your input, everyone.  Have a good holiday season!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...