13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2016 5:38 PM by pilam76 RSS

Mother/Daughter NYC Getaway-Advice

rebeccakirahannah Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello All,

Normally I do endless research to pick exactly the right hotel but this time I just cannot decide and I am overwhelmed by the number of options.  I am escaping for an extended weekend with my teenage daughter to NYC in January. She is an avid theatre buff (and a published/produced playwright, sorry shameless mom brag) and I would like to stay somewhere decently close to the theatre district. That being said, the last time we were in NYC as a family we walked on average 8 miles per day from morning to night so "close" is relative.  This time it is just the two of us so I will have no "enforcer/protector, AKA spousal unit" with me so I don't want to venture too far off of my travelling comfort level. My daughter loves the concierge lounge concept and that little extra spoiling that she gets when travelling with me so I'd like to book somewhere that has a decent lounge. I'm toying with the Marquis, but someone said the Renaissance at Times Square was good and others made a pitch for the charm of the Lexington.  For my dates, all of these are coming up within my budget.  I'm not interested in doing any SPG hotels at this point, I'm just going to hit Marriott Platinum for the first time ever (without a credit card even ) and so I'd like to stick with Marriott for now.  Do any of you have some favourite gems in the big apple that you'd like to share your passion about? I could really use some solid suggestions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York City, New York, USA
  • Re: Mother/Daughter NYC Getaway-Advice
    guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

I sent my wife and daughter for a 5 day NYC trip to celebrate their birthdays and they stayed at Essex House and loved it. The stay was on points and the plus was they were extended the courtesy of having access to the CL, which was open on weekends. They walked everywhere with no issues and at all times of the day and evening.

Hope we you have an incredible time with your daughter.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Perfect!  Thanks for that suggestion   I'll look into that one right away, it's great that they have the lounge open on the weekend.

Jsucool76 Gold

Just a heads up. Essex house lounge is only open for breakfast on weekends. No evening offerings. Plus, since the merger, the lounge is even more crowded than usual. 20+ minute waits for breakfast on weekends.

homoviator Platinum

this isn't first hand info, but I heard if you do Essex house on points, you aren't likely to get a very nice room, no matter what your status is. 

Renaissance Times Sq is packed the second you step out the door. If people is your thing, that's awesome and that is probably the hotel for you.

I've heard Marquis is a bit packed inside and out. That includes in the CL

I'm not that into crowds.  We stayed at the Ren Midtown. We liked it because the CL food was good (no hot food or breakfast on weekends). We ate at the restaurant on the weekends for breakfast and it was fantastic.  All very chill even at the busiest times making it a very nice getaway. We could also walk to a lot of the broadway theaters from there too.

But our rooms were awesome. We were up on the 21st floor with a view of the statue of liberty. I didn't get any suite but I liked being up high. If I had to go back to NY, that would be my choice.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

LLike Guidedog613, my wife and teenage daughter spent a quality break together in NYC just a week ago, staying at the Renaissance Times Sq, being the hotel chosen by daughter. She loved the hotel, especially getting breakfast each morning in the bar-turned-elite-breakfast-area overlooking Times Sq. She too loves the exec lounges but despite the fact that there's none here and there is one at the Marquis, she still preferred the Ren.

The 5 night stay was a redemption and the hotel extended the full Platinum amenities to my wife, though in the absence of a room upgrade (twin-bed rooms are difficult to upgrade) that amounted just to weekday breakfast and a voucher for a daily free appetiser.

Excellent input, the Renaissance Times Square has fabulous rates for my dates, I'll leave this one on my short list for sure now. Thanks

j&c Platinum

We do love the Lexington! In March when we visited, they had opened their "concierge lounge" in the lobby for breakfast -  they already have a bar/gathering area in the lobby, Starbucks and an excellent "diner" on-site. We've always been well treated including upgrades and free drink/snack coupons. Watching the room rates prior to our trip allowed for a significant discount as the date approached. For us, the location can't be beat. But, I do understand that other properties have larger rooms. C

bjdoctor Platinum

wonderful input

Jsucool76 Gold

The essex house's location is, in my opinion, one of the best, but I feel like the hotel is getting a bit dated, and some of the staff is downright rude. They seem to be relying too much on their location/former reputation than actually providing a good product. My next trip I'll likely be checking out the new Ren Midtown (heard great things).

Also, while not a hotel, I would suggest grabbing a meal at Marea. Just ate there for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it. Pretty reasonably priced for the food, and just fantastic.

If you're looking to splurge, I highly recommend Atera....Life changing experience.

I enjoy food.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I personally don't like Times Square or the Marquis because I like a quieter more relaxing vibe.  Having said that, Marquis is right in the theater district and has spacious rooms and a good CL.  So it might be your best bet if you want to be where the action is.  It's huge and chaotic and full of people, but it you want to be in the thick of the tourist action you might really enjoy that. 

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I second (or third) the suggestion of Times Square Renaissance hotel. I stay there every time I go to NYC. It is a great hotel. Love the breakfast area overlooking Times Square. They also give you coupons for appetizers at the bar and they have some great choices. It is a great location without the confusion and hassle of the Marriott Marquis. It is my favorite hotel in NYC.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions!  I have booked the Times Square Renaissance based on your wonderful advice. I am looking very forward to this adventure with my theatre girl.  Now I am off to find a few extra show tickets to make the weekend perfect

pilam76 Platinum

For my money, you kind of have 2 options in NYC - hotels like the Renaissance, Lex & East Side all on Lex Avenue then hotels close to Broadway and the action part of Manhattan like Marquis, Renaissance, RI Central Park. I do not like staying on any hotel near Lex Avenue. Too dead and quiet at night. I like to be near the action. The Renaissance Times Sq is only 300 rooms so despite being in the heart of Times Sq it is kind of a boutique hotel and in my experience quiet once you are inside. The views from the RI Central Park ARE INCREDIBLE!!! The Springhill Suites on 37th is very nice too!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...