13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2016 7:45 AM by mustanggt RSS

Disappointing Customer Service

gators72 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Platinum Premier member for life. Just spent 45 minutes on the the phone with 2 customer service reps. trying to resolve a rewards redemption issue to no avail. Disappointing customer service. Other lodging providers are ramping up their rewards offering. May be time to pay them some attention.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Disappointing Customer Service
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Oh no! Sorry to hear this, gators72. I'd like to learn more about what you went through. Would you mind sending me a private message with details?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gators72 Platinum

Too long of a story to type, but 45 minutes of non responive customer service reps. They don't seem to have the experience to grasp what I tried (to no avail) to explain. I'm thinking they outsourced the rewards call center overseas. Bad mistake if they did.

insertcoffee Platinum

Every time I call I have to go through multiple agents to find someone who knows the details about rudimentary things, programs in effect for a long time (meaning, they should have already received training), etc. This facet of my user experience really needs some beefing up.

gators72 Platinum

Lindsey,

I cancelled a reservation @ the Renaissance in St. Augustine, FL this past Saturday. I was using points for the stay. My plans changed again on Sunday, so I booked using points again. The 40,000 points for the new reservation were deducted from my account, but the 40,000 points for the original reservation I cancelled where not credited back to my account. I was outside of the 3 day cancellation policy, so the points should have been refunded. 45 minutes and 2 reps. later they can't seem to grasp what I'm saying. The stays were both for this coming Friday & Saturday. Thanks for offering your assistance.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

gators72

PLease remove your Marriott Rewards number from this post, criminally minded individuals may well be able to access your points with that info. I would strongly advise adding a pin to your account now. lindseyh will be able to help you with that.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Thanks for the additional info, gators72! We'll look into this, and I'll follow up with more information as soon as I learn more.

gators72 Platinum

Thanks Lindsey!

seachi Platinum

There's such thing as Lifetime PP? How many points/nights was that? I thought it stopped at Lifetime PE.

I've generally found the Plat line pretty knowledgeable on the principal facts of the scheme but they can struggle with the many nooks and crannies. The problem is if they don't know about the nook or crannie you're exploring it can be impossible to make progress since they have to find what they're seeking on the computer to execute your instructions. If you can tell us what you were trying to do there is very likely someone on this forum who has accomplished something similar and may be able to point you to the best means of explaining it. Alternatively explaining it to one of our moderators,, and lindseyh has offered her help here can get you where you want to be, they may not know all the intricacies themselves but they have the contacts who seem to!

Thanks for the additional detail gators72 - very ironically I've had this happen to me, booking a hotel on points, cancelling then rebooking before the points reappeared. It caused real confusion.

When you reserve a redemption Marriott generates an e-certificate and when you cancel your reservation Marriott cancels the e-cert and as soon as thats done the points are redposited in your account. The e-cert cancellation should be near-instant but a momentary lapse of connectivity can, very rarely, leave it hanging, which is no problem normally, a quick call and the rep finds the e-cert, sees you've cancelled your reservation and manually cancels the now unallocated e-cert, thus sending the points back to your account.

In my case I cancelled and then rebooked a few days later and when doing so realised my points were short and traced it back to that cancelled redemption. It took some explaining but the rep was able to find the unallocated certificate and recredit the points. Now, I chased it up well before the stay and therefore the unallocated e-cert was still hanging around in cyberspace. Your situation has an added twist because the cancellation date for the stay has passed, and hence the unallocated certificate has now expired, uncancelled, so where has it gone?

You'd be fortunate indeed to find a rep who would know where to look for an expired unallocated e-certificate, so lindseyh who is one of the Marriott moderators here is definitely the best person to help you. I'm sure it will be resolved, make sure you can give her the cancelled reservation numbers (both the original and the cancellation numbers) as the original number should help trace the generation of the e-cert and the cancellation number both proves you properly cancelled it and gives a date of cancellation which establishes the point at which the e-cert became unallocated.

Good luck, and keep please keep us updated...

ppino69 Platinum 1 Reviews

I didint know there is a Lifetime Platinum Premier Status? I thought the highest was Lifetime Platinum Elite?

mustanggt Platinum

There is no such thing as Lifetime Platinum Premier.  You can earn Lifetime Platinum Elite after 750 nights and 2,000,000 points.  However, annually there is Platinum Elite and Platinum Premier.  PP is the top 3% of PE.

bubbie Platinum 2 Reviews

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Fortunately I have never had any problem with the CSR at MR. I have found them to be a most professional and helpful group who will go the extra mile to answer and resolve any problem.

When you do find someone who can fix it, take their name and extension and call them for all your future needs.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...