21 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2016 1:27 PM by beauvallonboy RSS

U.S. Passport Heads Up

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I've attached a USA Today article about passport renewals. There are a TON of passports expiring in 2017. If your's is one, you may not want to wait.

U.S. passport changes are coming: Here’s what you need to know

I renewed mine earlier this year and had no problem at all. BUT it looks like the expiring mountain of passports and the fact that some State issued Driver Licenses may no longer meet the requirement for domestic travel could cause quite a backlog.

• Re: U.S. Passport Heads Up
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

This is really a great tip painedplatinum that you've put us on alert with, thanks very much as my Wife has her passport and Global Entry expire next December so I'll start working on both very early on.

When my passport expired in February 2015, I sent in the renewal just before in the middle of December 2014, and much to my surprise and delight it came back before New Years Day. I certainly won't cut it that close with the Mrs.

Then all I did for my Global Entry was to get into my GOES Account as well as frequent flyer accounts and update the passport number, no problem next time flying with Pre-Check nor coming back into the country it all worked fine.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

seatexan Platinum

Yeah I am about to have to get a Louisiana DL Serious SAD FACE!!!  But my Passport is only 4 or 5 years old. 

Louisiana is fighting the chip... I wish the gov here wouldn't! I don't really want to bring my passport to the airport for domestic flights. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Taking a passport out of the cabinet which they reside at home I do not like to do unless absolutely necessary.  Just move back home and make the drive to LFT SeaTexan!!!

seatexan Platinum

What I would not give to move home!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Had to renew my AZ drivers license and they finally offered( as an option) a license consistent with real ID . I took that option so my license will work in gov buildings and on airplanes once The deadline hits

insertcoffee Platinum

I would add a note that is not intuitive.  The US Passport *Card* (not the booklet) IS NOT VALID FOR TSA.

Since the requirements to get the card are the same as those to get a standard passport, and it is valid for customs purposes for certain travel, one might think it is also good for TSA. But this is not correct.

I got one because I was renewing my passport and I thought it would be handy to have and use it at airports for TSA. Wrong.

You are correct, but you can use your GOES card for TSA if you are Global Entry as my friend did a year or so back, they didn't even blink at it as it is an official gov't photo ID.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

TSA at DEN let me board with my checkbook and Sam's Club card as proof of ID.  I'd lost my ID (actually the car rental people took it and lost it for me).  So I think it depends on the agent/circumstances.  After that, tho, I did start carrying the Passport card and GOES card as I suspect those would work better in cases of lost IDs.  Sadly, this wasn't my first lost ID while traveling.  The car rental folks at MSP also lost my ID (their employee dropped it thru a crack in their counter where it couldn't be retrieved without calling an off-duty manager who couldn't get there until the next day), so apparently I have bad luck.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I've always wondered what you could use for ID if you didn't have your driver's license.  When my husband was pickpocketed in Brussels a few years ago and lost his wallet with everything in it, I was carrying the passports so we didn't have to find out then.  He wouldn't have had anything with his name on it.

seatexan Platinum

Good thing you had the passports! What a mess to be pick pocketed over seas!

also why they recommend making a pic of your passport and keeping it separate

insertcoffee Platinum

That is a special circumstance. I meant that if you took it with you with the intention of using it as your boarding ID, it is not an officially sanctioned method. What happens in certain airports, with individual TSA agents, etc., may vary, but it is not intended as ID for TSA. When you have lost ID, a different scenario comes into play. And for sure what works at DEN or PHX will not necessarily work at IAD, BOS, or DCA.

I've had the unpleasant circumstance of having to travel on a temporary ID (for the state in question, an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper that looks like anyone could make themselves at home) and it was absolutely not a fun experience. Every single thing swabbed, a three hour extravaganza of good times on the outbound.  A smallish mid-west airport on the return told me if I had a Rx bottle with my name on it, they would use that to avoid the special process. YMMV. Since I did not, I had to go through the same thing on the way back. Never, ever again.

yes usually they will make you go thru enhanced screening if you don't have a valid ID.

mustanggt Platinum

You should never allow your passport to get within 6 months of expiration.  Some countries will deny entry if your passport expires in less than 6 months since they do not want to run the risk that you may be in their country with an expired passport. 

chobbits Platinum

^^ This is business travel advice 101. ALWAYS renew it 6 months before expiry

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I found this out the hard way when I was denied boarding this summer.  My passport was scheduled to expire 5 months after my return from overseas, not 6 (I thought I was good with over 3 months until expiration), so I cried all the way back home that Saturday from Logan and made an emergency passport appointment for Monday morning.  Quite the headache, and quite the expense.  But I did fly out on the same flight 3 days later...  Lesson learned!

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I found this out the hard way when I was denied boarding this summer.  My passport was scheduled to expire 5 months after my return from overseas, not 6 (I thought I was good with over 3 months until expiration), so I cried all the way back home that Saturday from Logan and made an emergency passport appointment for Monday morning.  Quite the headache, and quite the expense.  But I did fly out on the same flight 3 days later...  Lesson learned!

nationwide Platinum

painedplatinum, thanks for sharing this very timely reminder!  It's hard to believe a decade has passed since the rules for traveling to Canada and Mexico changed!  Fortunately, I just renewed the entire family, so we beat the rush   Much appreciated reminder.

msannmcd Platinum

Great suggestion. I actually read that fall is the best time to renew on the Peter Greenberg site. Sent mine in late October and had a new one in 2 weeks! He also noted that many countries wouldn't let you in if your passport is withing 6 months of expiring.

chris0311 Platinum

Also if you ever wondered if those passport services websites work I can confirm at least one does. I used PVS International and had it expedited. I received my shiny new passport in three days during peak season!! Total cost was a little over $300. Cheers!

beauvallonboy Platinum

painedplatinum, you meant "Domestic Air Travel"....wow if that is the case you need a passport to travel via air planes that is ridiculous!  I can understand Canada & Mexico by car or air plane need a passport but from state to state...that is completely ridiculous in my opinion or maybe that is part of the security measures being taken for future travel!  Post offices etc. needs more work & money!

Passport please!  :-)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...