8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2017 4:25 PM by jerryl RSS

Research Firm's thoughts on future Marriott Brands

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
Here's an interesting take (well, at least to me, long time Marriott loyalist )  by Skift on the different Marriott/Starwood brands and what might occur in the future.

Who is Skift? (from their web site)

Skift is the largest industry intelligence platform providing MEDIA, INSIGHTS and MARKETING to key sectors of travel.

HERE is what we do: Skift DECIPHERS and DEFINES global travel trends.

HERE is who we do it for: MARKETERS, STRATEGISTS and TECHNOLOGISTS in the global travel industry.

https://skift.com/2016/09/21/every-one-of-marriotts-30-hotel-brands-explained/

Glance through to your favorite brand and see if you agree. Marriott has been on record of late, especially after Hilton came out and claimed their distinctive brand identities, of working on fine tuning brand distinctiveness;

Here’s what Marriott’s Global Brand Officer, Tina Edmundson, told Skift last month, a little over two weeks after Marriott inherited 11 of Starwood’s brands: “… In any industry, when you have 30 brands, you’re bound to have brands that occupy the same swim lane, if you will. We are doing work as we speak to solve some of those riddles.”

Some highlights of the Skift article; (remember, these are their thoughts - it hasn't happened)

Autograph, Luxury, and Tribute being rolled into one brand

LeMeridien and Renaissance being combined

Marriott, of course remaining Marriott, but needing more differentiation from Westin and Sheraton. The Charlotte M Beta hotel may be very, very meaningful to the future.

Marriott Executive Apartments - possible combo with Element to take on Airbnb and HomeAway/VRBO

Delta - "nothing exciting about this utilitarian Canadian brand"

Four Points - possible roll up into large footprint (and quite profitable) Courtyard

Residence Inn - millennials man, millennials. Work-life balance and lobby socializing. Bring on the Mix, roll in the food trucks. Skift says currently RI has a reputation for loneliness and airport office parks. Hey, we could all use some jazzier locations. Like I say to my millennial contacts (and I have several, courtesy of baseball and millennial daughters), "see how many digital friends help you move".

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Research Firm's thoughts on future Marriott Brands
    seatexan Platinum

Info overload awesomeness!

I thought that Autograph and The Lux Collection might merge at some point too.

I didn't even know about Tribute... Guess that one might roll into Autograph as well.

LOL poor Delta!

I don't know about AC Hotels. There is one in Nola...and after bejacob did a review on one, stark and dorm like... I am not sure I want to hang out there.  I think it was missing a dresser???

I will be trying out an Aloft brand next year in Munich... My sister said it was like a dorm room after staying in one and she didn't like it.  I decided on it b/c it was in a better location than any of the Marriotts AND FREE laundry!!! so important! Mainly the location and free laundry sold me.  I can deal with dorm for 2 nights for that. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

Good read SeaTexan way to stay on your toes.

I'm tellin' ya, as Norm of Cheers said, "it's a dog eat dog world and we're wearing milk bone shorts". 

Marriott tweaks the language of MegaBonus registration, policies like late checkout and upgrades are property by property, the ever challenging I.T. issues in tracking points, benefits and stays, and now, the introduction of dynamic targeted offers (to specific groups, fine; changing by the day - ouch) we have to be informed or we're going to miss out on opportunities.

Wait till all the folks who were tickled pink about the upcoming Let's Get Connected deals try to grab one of the ten vs. 90+ million competitors, and find The Machine goes on the blitz (ask pluto77) oh baby, fun time had by all .

Keep on keepin' on - Insiders, don't leave home without it.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

SeaTexan,

If your Munich hotel is a spot to spend the night before a plane ride across the pond home you might want to check out the former Kempinski Munich Airport which is now Munich Hotels | Hilton Munich Airport | Munich, BY.  The place if outstanding right in the midst of the airport, a 2 minute walk to the terminal, 2 minute walk to the trains to downtown and with a little shopping village right there as well.  We stayed there twice and both times and loved the rooms as well as the entire hotel.

After reading about the Aloft it certainly does not sound like the JW Downtown here in H-Town, only concern about the MUC Hilton might be if they'd redone the rooms from the Kempinski.

seatexan Platinum

Oh that looks great! and a perfect location if I were flying out.  Do they have free laundry???

Aloft is close to the train station, a Beer Garden and Marienplatz.  I'll be headed to Salzburg by train.  I was going to go back to Munich after a few days in Salzburg and fly back to London but Salzburg has an airport and I can get to Gatwick for pretty darn cheep!

erc Platinum

While we wait for the Insiders forum to be updated, perhaps the delay IAH is due to them setting up hotel reviews

Here's the latest on hotel development

Category          Brand       Current  -  Pipeline

Luxury             St. Regis        37             26
                                      W                 49              37
                                   Luxury           98              28
                                    Ritz                96             43
                                   Bulgari              3               5
                                     JW                 77             45
                                  Edition               3              12

Upper Upscale   Westin           215            54
                                    LeMeridien     105            38
                                   Sheraton          445            79
                                     Tribute              13           26
                                    Autograph        105          75  
                                    Renaissance     162          42
                                     Marriott             539        148
                                      Delta                   37          23
                                     Exec Apts           38           23
                                      Gaylord                5             1

Upscale          4 Pts/sheraton        224         135
                                 Element/westin         22            72
                                     Aloft                      114         150
                                    AC Hotel                  94         102
                                   Courtyard               1080     280
                                    SpringHill                 353        150
                                  Residence Inn            724        234

Upper Midscale       Moxy                   6           62
                                            Fairfield                821      360
                                              Protea                   97         7
                                             Town Place           293     198

Lower Downscale
                                    erc's place                 1         0

For number of rooms and descriptive narrative    https://hotel-development.marriott.com/brands-dashboard/

seatexan Platinum

Ha! More Courtyards! LOL dang!  I guess FF are not too far behind. 

My goal of staying at every JW ever is going to get a lot harder now...45 more coming.

I really don't give Bulgari too much thought.  Hmmm You can't stay on points with them I don't think.  I am not sure what perks we would have there either, other than earning.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

great post ERC . I bet the consolidation will happen in two phases. the first as outlined in the post . But I bet a second wave once Starwood guest get use to Marriott brands and you may see Sheraton get rolled into Marriott or as you say at least reduce gradually the number of hotels. Its tough for one company to have so many brands when in many cases they serve the same customers

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...