12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2016 11:18 AM by seatexan RSS

Anyone Take Advantage of Amex for SPG Starpoints Exchange?

nationwide Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Curious to know whether anyone else has taken advantage of the offer for Amex Platinum members to exchange Amex points for SPG points at a 1 to 1.5 exchange rate?  A 50% bump seems like a terrific deal, but I've not yet taken the plunge.  Assuming those could then me transferred back to Marriott Rewards points, if one is so inclined, that equates to a 1 to 1.5 to 4.5 final exchange...  Wow!  Am I missing something?  Hoping to get some feedback from fellow Insiders who have made the exchange.  Jsucool76 - did you get this one? 

• Re: Anyone Take Advantage of Amex for SPG Starpoints Exchange?
    Jsucool76 Gold

The part you're missing is that Starwood isn't a 1:1 transfer partner . It's 3 membership rewards points for 1 Starwood point . Then a 50% bonus on that .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nationwide Platinum

Jsucool76, the exchange is 1 Amex point to 1.5 SPG...  then, move as many of those as you like to Marriott.  So the 1.5 gets you 4.5.  I'm starting with 600k Amex points

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jsucool76 Gold

That's not the offer I heard about . It's usually 1000 amex points for 333 Starwood points .

Then a 50% bonus would be 1000 amex points for 500 spg points .

So 1000 amex points would get you 1500 Marriott points .

You may have been targeted for a different offer than others were the receiving .

nationwide Platinum

Jsucool76 - you were right, and I was wrong!    It is 1000 for 333!  I completely overlooked that!!!  Rats!  So, that isn't nearly the deal I thought it was!  I think I may look at moving the Amex points to Avios for a 50% bump!  Thanks a million for keeping me from making a mistake! 

Jsucool76 Gold

I've got like 50k avios sitting around for like 2 years . Can never seem to find a use for them . I just transferred another 1k in to keep them from expiring . I know they're good for short haul domestic AA flights but I never find availability . I also hate their search tool . Lol .

Good option though . I transferred the bulk of my amex points to Virgin America to do the jet blue points match . Gotta find a use for my 75k jet blue miles and 50k Virgin America miles .

nationwide Platinum

It looks like I can get in and out of DFW fairly regularly, so that might be a keeper for me.  Thanks again Jsucool76!  I appreciate your help!  That's why you are our credit card guru!

seatexan Platinum

Wait.. so are my eyes tricking me????

AMG to SPG.jpg

This is what I see.  I don't see 333 anywhere.

seatexan Platinum

I see 1000 amx points for 500 SPG. I don't have a plat card, but gold...thanks Jsucool76 ... and I will be stay 4 nights at spg properties in May, 2 at an aloft (free laundry!!!) and 2 at a Sheraton.  I'll move some points on Monday.  It looks like it takes 5 days.  I hope it's not 333 points!

seatexan Platinum

Ugh...

We're Sorry...

The American Express Online Services system has not properly responded to your request. You can use your browser's back button to resubmit your request now. In many cases, this second attempt will be executed fully. Or you can try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists, please call American Express and provide the problem code shown on this page.

seatexan Platinum

Ok so!!! I went to move points today but it was for 333 SPG points per 1000 Amx points.  No bonus But I did it anyway.  So no Aloft Munich stay on points for me!  But the rate there is good anyway, and maybe not even worth spending the points on. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...