5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2017 9:18 AM by kodiakjack RSS

Platinum Challenge

yuchihau Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I am wondering the rules of Platinum Challenge with Marriott. This year I stayed in IHG and SPG for over 70 nights (so I got SPG Gold and IHG Spire Elite). After the merger of SPG and Marriott, I got Marriott Gold because of SPG Gold. Then I was looking at the properties of Marriott's on the internet, they are actually quite nice. So I discussed with my friend and he told me that there is a chance that I can request a Platinum Challenge from customer service if I am looking to switch my stays to Marriott for the remaining days this year and next year.

So I googled and found an email address, sent them an email and got a reply in 2 hours.

Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards.

We regret to inform you that neither Taste of Elite Challenges nor status matches are available to non solicited members at this time.

Our Elite levels are determined by loyalty which has already been demonstrated by our members accruing the required nights.

Elite levels are calculated each year based on the number of Elite nights accrued in the calendar year, January 1 to December 31.  Marriott Rewards members need to reach 10 Elite nights for the Silver level, 50 Elite nights for the Gold level, or 75 Elite nights for the Platinum level.

Please visit the following link for additional information concerning Elite membership:

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi

We appreciate you choosing Marriott.  Thank you for your understanding in the matter.

It's basically a straight denial, a very disappointing one because I was actually looking at the bookings for 9 hotel stays in coming 3 months.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe someone from Marriott can help me as I am very interested in switching my stays to your hotel.

Thank you so much!

Alexander

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Challenge
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

You have a pretty typical Canned response, there yuchihau, but we do have a thread about this, here Status Challenges: What are they and how do I enroll?

Apart from an extra 2.5 Marriott points per $ and 500 points welcome gift there's little difference between Marriotts Gold and Plat so if all you're looking for is Marriott Plat, I would wait till end January next year and post on the above thread asking for a challenge. If you complete the challenge after 1st March 2017 you'll then have Plat through to February 2019! And of course that will also make you Plat at Starwood too, a very valuable bump up for SPGers.

However if you have a lot of SPG stays early next year and are looking to get Marriott Plat so you can up your SPG Gold (not worth much) to SPG Plat then you may well want to get to Marriott Plat faster, thus gaining SPG Plat sooner even though it will then only last till Feb 2018.

The the last thing I would add is that I don't know whether Marriott Gold gained only via SPG Gold is eligible for the challenge, it might not be, but when you're ready there's no harm in making the challenge request here Status Challenges: What are they and how do I enroll?

Good luck, and do tell us if you get the challenge as it would be useful to know if SPG Gold matches can get Marriott Plat challenges (and theres a tongue-twister for you!)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

yuchihau Gold

Thank you brightlybob for your detailed answer. Really appreciate it! I was aware that if I complete my challenge on/after 1st Mar 2017, I can get the status through Feb 2019. I was thinking if I get my challenge started now, I can have the challenge until the end of Feb 2017 (because Marriott gives three months time plus the remaining days of the first month, don't know if I am wrong), then if I complete my last stay on 28th Feb 2017, my status upgrade will be in March, then I can get the status all the way until Feb 2019? Do tell me if I am wrong.

The truth is I am also worried that the status I got from SPG Gold does not qualify me to get a Marriott Plat challenge. Anyways, I will try hard to ask them to see if I can eventually get a Platinum challenge! Will let you know if I managed to get one. Thanks.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

You are correct, if you obtain a challenge today then you'll have till the end of February to complete it. The completion date is the date the final stay finishes, so theoretically if you register today and checkout of your 9th stay on 28th Feb you should qualify as Plat till Feb 2019, but Marriott's IT isn't the best and you could end up with the credit being delayed and the computer registering you as missing the promo date. Then you're onto the phones with Customer Services to try and sort it out. They'll probably compromise you on "status for this year only". So in my mind it's not worth the risk to push it to the final day.

If you're looking to maximise the length of your status I'd register in December/January to complete my final stay sometime in March...

yuchihau Gold

Sure brightlybob, I will take your advise to request a challenge in Dec

Thank you so much!

kodiakjack Silver

So, I am currently silver but looking for a hotel in the rosslyn area of dc with suites.  We are capped at a lower perdiem so I will have to negotiate a rate but will be there 12 to 18 months.  Want to maximize my points since that's about the only benefit to this move.  Open to suggestions from the experts.....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...