12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2016 8:49 PM by chris0311 RSS

Reviewing hotels where we've stayed

robinfromca Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I just spent 10 minutes on the phone with a Marriott rep trying to figure out how to write reviews. We are platinum elite, and I love reading the reviews people post, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to write them myself!

Why isn't there an email that we're sent after a stay with a link to write a review? Why do I have to navigate a poorly laid out website and still not know what to do? It's ridiculous!

Can someone please tell me the easiest way to write reviews on recent stays?

Thanks so much!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Reviewing hotels where we've stayed
    peymanagement Platinum

Many people put a review on here, so just do what you just did to post this, put the name of the hotel in the title and share your experience, As far as official reviews, you only get that chance if you get an e mail to review, Weird or what..lol.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

And if you are fortunate enough to get the survey for a hotel review of a recent stay, you still may not find the review show up on the hotel site.  All has to do with the "random" sampling that Marriott chose.

Even more weird alright.

robinfromca Platinum

Thanks for responding. It's so archaic. Think OpenTable. After I dine at a restaurant I've reserved through them, I get a reminder to write a review. Think Yelp. I can add my review behind all the other reviews of that place. Here, I log in, click on My Account, click on Account Overview, click on Marriott Rewards Insiders, and then I get to search for something that isn't very easy to locate. For those people who go to this site on a regular basis and can find where they want to go easily, I understand why they don't get what I'm talking about. For those that are new to the system, we may end up spending a whole lot of time trying to navigate a maze and then get frustrated and leave. Sorry, I'm venting.

peymanagement Platinum

Yep, I still have not figured it out either. Happy travels.

robinfromca Platinum

Thanks. I will diligently try to figure it out. ;-/

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

robinfromca,

It's early on a Friday morning so I may be missing something (of course I am that's how I go through life ), but long ago Insiders did have an area for hotel reviews and most of us got valuable information from those reviews.  However, there were issues with how the hotel reviews kept showing up an completely overrunning the main page (big board) of Insiders.  Many complained about it and rather than fixing that problem a few months later Marriott announced that hotel reviews would disappear from Insiders and would be moved to each individual property. So that's what we have now the random survey that gets randomly displayed after you fill our your random survey.

Are many of us Insiders happy about that, heck no.....but it is what it is and as a famous Insiders tells us," Insiders keep on keepin' on".

I hope that sheds some light on this issue for you, if not it's still early on a Friday morning!!!!

erc Platinum

Why isn't there an email that we're sent after a stay with a link to write a review?

Because Marriott wants to hand select (moderate) the reviews

Why do I have to navigate a poorly laid out website and still not know what to do? It's ridiculous!

Because, in spite of being the global lodging leader, Marriott continues to struggle with its I.T. capabilities

Can someone please tell me the easiest way to write reviews on recent stays?

IMO, the easiest (and most productive) way to write a review is to follow peymanagement's suggestion

IAHFLYR provides a good overview of how we got in this mess. I'll share a bit more detail In The Mouth Of Dorkness: Comic Reviews: Saga & The Storyteller  since the lost of Insiders' Hotel Reviews is one of my biggest irritations about this forum;

A couple of years ago Marriott, reasonably so, wanted to increase its Insiders membership, and more specifically its data base of loyalists. In an explosive example of a decent idea going bad, Marriott had two sequential contests, where Insiders (or the desired, new enrollees) could win bonus points by submitting first Baseball Stories and then a few months later Hotel Reviews.

As much as I liked baseball stories and was looking forward to additional hotel reviews, the onslaught of contest participants (many who wrote non-useful reviews; I like the Boston CY, it had nice smelling soap and I'm not kidding, my favorite, "I like fishes, cuz they taste delicious" ) totally swamped the Board of Threads and all other topics got lost. Now, we suggested several times to have a separate blog/account/line item, whatever where all contest entries could go into just one thread - but in spite of constant pleading, the sensible request was ignored and the contest entries swamped the board for weeks on end, greatly diluting travel information.

It is not a coincidence that prior to these contests, participation would run thousands of views and scores of replies - afterwards and up to today, we're lucky if a topic gets over 200 views and 10 replies, thus greatly damaging the insights of experienced travelers who could enhance all of our journeys.

Marriott, as they are prone to do (can you say Certificates, Welcome Amenity, BOGO?) responded by wiping out Hotel Reviews completely from Insiders, fellow travelers whom, we not only trusted, but would interact with us answering follow up questions.

Marriott instead went to the review process that we have today. One that they themselves, on this very forum admitted that they 'moderated', which john thai succinctly called not worth participating in.

1) you never know if your review will even be seen, much less posted

2) as moderated, you don't know if your true thoughts are shared

and three

3) by selectively choosing, Marriott has destroyed the credibility of all reviews, ours included

Read the reviews posted at Marriott.com - few properties have cumulative ratings below 4 circles and even the rare ones that are bad, nonsensically Recommend others to stay there!  Here's a current example that took me all of 3 minutes to locate, but trust me, they're all throughout the system;

Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard

Customer avatar

LKS

Rewards Level:Gold

Traveler Type:Solo

3 out of  5

October 12, 2016

Average Experience

Service

2 out of  5

Value for the Money

3 out of  5

Not consistent with other Courtyard experiences. They should rename this hotel if they are not going to offer the same level of experience.

Yes, I recommend this hotel.

... of a Middle-Aged Drama Queen: On My Soapbox Again: Serial Marriage  

Thank you for your time

chris0311 Platinum

A bit off topic but i'd place the Courtyard Washington Capital Hill/Navy yard as a solid 1.0 for value for the money. As a matter of fact I recall a particularly peeved woman complaining about the sorry breakfast options that she paid extra money for.

seatexan Platinum

I just review on TripAdvisor and read many of the reviews there.  I type in key works like Marriott Rewards or Member to see if any MR Members have posted. They might not be insiders like on here but Marriott members non the less. 

I do not read the reviews on the Marriott site as I know they are all "hand picked" as Erc has said.  I just won't get an honest full picture. 

Heh, I do enjoy reading the bad reviews 1st on hotels.  If the negative review is more than a year old, I tend to toss it out.  Some people complain about some funny things. 

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Post most of my hotel stays on trip advisor and use it when deciding on a hotel or resort

robinfromca Platinum

Thanks, guys. I was hoping for a great experience, but stumbled onto a disorganized mess. I appreciate the time you've taken to respond and guide me. I will continue to stay at Marriott and post on Tripadvisor. Happy Friday!!!

chris0311 Platinum

Honestly I couldn't be bothered to write a review. Often times if a staff member is exceptional or horrendous I will let a manager know. I personally feel that any other complaints or critiques will fall on deaf ears. I do however appreciate all the reviews you fine folks write on this forum .

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...