40 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2016 7:10 PM by taxman193 RSS

Staycation in New Orleans

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Last week-end was a busy week-end in New Orleans.  The Saints and the Pelicans both had home games.  The VooDoo Festival attracted many visitors.  Several thousand runners participated in the Jazz Half-Marathon/5K.  And if that wasn't enough, it was the week-end before Halloween.  It was tough finding a hotel with a reasonable rate; however, we did find a good rate at the new Courtyard on the Westbank (Gretna)-just across the Mississippi River from New Orleans. The room was large with a microwave and refrigerator, nice flat screen TV above the desk, and a safe. (The safe was locked when we arrived and we had the maintenance man come check on it.  He did not know the code to open it and never returned after going to get the code!) Our room faced New Orleans and we had a great view of the Crescent City Connection and the sunset.  It took us about 5 minutes to cross the bridge early Saturday morning and we were lucky and crossed in about the same amount of time after the football game (opposite direction).  It would probably take longer during rush hour.  We will stay here again if the rates are reasonable and the ones on the East Bank are unreasonable (like up to about $1000 a night!),

bridge.jpg

sunset N.O..jpg

Now you see it.....

cabinet open.jpg

Now you don't....

cabinet closed.jpg

We enjoyed watching the Saints beat the Seahawks in a close game.  The new screens which have been installed let you see the players up close and personal.  The pregame activities are always exciting.

Saints.jpg

screen.jpg

We enjoyed eating at some of our favorite local places...Voo Doo BBQ (pulled pork almost as good as Whole Hog BBQ), Parkway Bakery & Tavern (best shrimp poboy in town), Angelo Brocato's (gelato and Italian baked treats), and Rouse's (a local grocery store near the Superdome where we had breakfast on game day.)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Gretna, LA
  • Re: Staycation in New Orleans
    seatexan Platinum

Did you all drive or take a taxi?  Room rates when there are games are SO crazy high! 

I checked the schedule REALLY early and booked a room at the Q&C Autograph hotel for the Denver Stains game (still expensive but no where near 1k a night!). I am so excited! My first NFL game .

Our seats are I think near the same level as yours so I am glad they have some new screens to see the players up close.

You all sure went on one crazy weekend! I am really glad the Saints won!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Our seats were in the 500's. We could see both screens.  Be sure and take binoculars if you have them.  We drove and parked right in front of Rouse's. We usually eat there before a game, but this was the first time for breakfast. You don't have to pay for street parking on Sunday's, but you have to pay on Saturday's.  It was a crazy week-end, but we still had a great time. 

seatexan Platinum

Saints game day weekend! Nola vs Denver....

Ren is higher than the Ritz!!! CRAZY! maybe this is the Plat guarantee!?  LOL anyway! glad I booked long ago! ;D

Oh and I am in the 600s!!! Just checked on the tickets.  Yay for the new big screens

game day weekend.jpg

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I loved the Pere Marquette, but not for $2Gs!!!

seatexan Platinum

LOL - Crazy huh! I am staying there in early Dec. No lounge but there is a room to get water.  I think I read that on TripAdvisor.

SeaTexan, the location is fantastic. You can walk (stumble) out of a million venues and still get back with little help!!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

HMMM, stumble I think I resemble that remark!

seatexan Platinum

I am going to stumble out of the Roosevelt Hotel Bar into my bed! ;D

Hey RBF,

I just stayed at a new Courtyard and it had that same crazy cabinet for the fridge and microwave. On top of that, there were almost no areas for storage of any kind. My 5 night stay felt a bit cramped because of that. The rest of the room was actually very nice.

We didn't unpack and for the life of me, I can't remember what storage was in the room.  I do remember bikin(i)chris looking for a luggage rack and not finding one.  He didn't know the closet was hidden behind the huge full length mirror and contained the luggage rack, ironing board, and safe. I do remember that he was in the way when I was trying to watch a ballgame on TV and he was sitting at the desk downloading pictures.  There might have been some drawers in that area. I think there was a flat area that we used for one of the suitcases, also.

Looks like you guys had a wonderful time as I would have expected nothing less.   So you did it up right and also had a celebration on Saturday with the Hogs and the nationwide Gator game didn't ya?

We always have a good time in New Orleans, especially when the Saints win!

We had an even better time in Fayetteville when the Hogs beat the Gators!  It was a beautiful day for football.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Seems like we just missed you again razorbackfan.  we will be at the game with you SeaTexan!  My wife won 2 awesome free tickets at the base promo a couple of weeks ago.  Club seats on Row 24, about the 4o-yard line.  We still had a 5-night free cat 1-5 stay from buying the 120,000 miles that got transferred to SW Airlines and gave her the companion pass.  We'll fly down from Seattle.  The base was thrilled to have someone win from the NW and that was going to go to the game, and not sell the tickets off.  Almost everything free except car rental and extra entertainment.  My wife is SO lucky on these contests!  I am so lucky to be married to her and get to go along

That's wonderful tryt53, congrats on snagging another special trip and you best track down SeaTexan!   Now if you can only get your own wing of the hotel named after you like PVR.  By the way I've requested that wing next month from Simon.

LOL, IAHFLYR Simon will know exactly the rooms to put you in. This last trip we had 3 groups, and next fall we may have 5 groups., Even a large taxi won't work anymore

seatexan Platinum

oh my gosh! Lucky lucky!!! What great seats!!! I'll need some binoculars

BUT we can totally get together!

tryt53 I am sorry our paths won't cross in New Orleans.  You have some great seats! I know you will have a great time. It the hotel rooms weren't so expensive, I'd head on over to the Big Easy just to meet you all.

I really want to go to PVR in the near future.  Maybe we can meet-up there sometime.  I checked the dates when you posted the great rates a while back and nothing worked for us.

I totally understand, we are using the Cat 5 Courtyard in Metarie, for our 5 night award stay.  God value for using that, and hard to find too many Cat 5's in NOLA area.  We'll look forward to being in PVR together maybe next fall   Expecting a bigger and bigger group going with us each year now.

tryt53 We've stayed at the Metairie Courtyard a couple of times and it is a nice property.  Have fun!

We had a great time meeting up in NOLA with SeaTexan syojam (my wife), SeaTexanS1 (SaeTexan Spouse 1), SeaTexanSiL1 (SeaTexan Sister-in-Law 1), and SeaTexanSilH1 (SeaTexan Sister-in-Laws Husband 1) !  The game had such a wild finish, going from an almost sure extra point kick for a 1 point win for the Saints in the last moment, to the extra point being blocked and run back for a 2 point win to the Broncos instead.  A heart-breaker for the Saints fans like SeaTexanS1, and a stunning victory for Broncos fans like SeaTexan (yup, they have a divided house). 

That evening, we all got to meet up for dinner at the very nice Palace Cafe, recommended by, I believe, SeaTexanSiL1 (did I lose you all yet?).  So nice to meet everyone and get to know everyone more.  All were Marriott members and we all got to share a few more travel tricks and recommendations among ourselves.

NOLAmeetupJPG.jpeg

From left to right, SeaTexan, SeaTexanS1, SeaTexanSiL1, SeaTexanSiLH1, syojam(Sandy), and tryt53(me, Tim).  I will let SeaTexan put names if she wants to .  Special thanks to the whole SeaTexan clan for showing such flexibility, since we actually had a rental car this time, which can actually make things more difficult in finding parking sometimes.

And you are right, razorbackfan, the Courtyard in Metairie is a very nice Cat 5 to use free stays at

seatexan Platinum

We had a wonderful time with you all! It was such a nice evening! And a great day for Broncos fans!!!

Yes totally wild finish for sure! Poor Greg... So close to a win!

IMG_8416.JPG

IMG_8412.JPG

We were crazy high up... 600! but a fantastic view.  Not sure there are any "bad" seats in the Super Dome right razorbackfan?   You all did have better seats though .  The new screens were amazing too!

Thank you tryt53 and syojam for meeting up with us.  And thanks for the CC and Points tips ;D Sharing travel stories is always fun. 

SeaTexan

That's a HOUSE DIVIDED for sure.  Did you need an oxygen mask?  I remember sitting in the "nosebleed" section a few years ago and the steps got so steep that I could barely climb them (those were the pre-knee replacement days ).  I am glad you all had a good time and wished I could have been there.

Great photos for sure and it looks like a wonderful time.  Not quite a TIPPLE, but darn close I'd say!

I haven't eaten at the Palace Cafe in a few years.  I know you all enjoyed the food there.  It is hard to find a place with bad food in NOLA because they usually shut down fairly quickly. Where else did you eat? tryt53 I am glad you were able to use your Cat 5 certificate at the Courtyard (even if you didn't get free breakfast and/or coffee.  How were your seats at the football game?

Actually, razorbackfan, we got anything we wanted for breakfast free every morning, for the whole 5-night certificate stay. I believe in being extra nice at check-in, and asked very nicely about breakfast being included or not, and the lady was nice enough to give us whatever we ordered for  breakfast every day, including coffee, fruit, juice, or whatever.  Made it extra nice when staying for free already   Those seats were amazing.  Just need to stand up most of the time, because everyone in front of you stands up too.

A great reminder tryt53 to always be friendly and polite as you get much more with honey than vinegar especially at check-in!!

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I am heading to New Orleans November 25th and will be going to a Saints game. I am staying at the Courtyard by the convention center and hoping for the best. When I go to New Orleans I normally stay at the JW or the Renaissance by the French Quarter but the rates were to high over the weekend so I am using points for two nights at the Courtyard and paying for one night at a great prepaid rate.

I probably paid to much but I have seats in the 300 club level for the game so should be fun.

Anyone ever stay at the Courtyard by the Convention Center? Easy walk to the French Quarter? Room recommendations? Can I walk to the dome?

seatexan Platinum

It is kind of far... at least I think it is.  About a 20-30 min walk.  I too usually stay at the JW when going to the Dome, it's closer....BUT! I still take one of those rides where the person pulls me behind his bike.    The Quarter is walkable, but a slight hike.

Is there a saints game??? I thought it was the Bayou Classic that weekend.  I really wanted to go too!  Oh I just looked.. they play the Rams on that Sunday.  You will be there for the Bayou Classic also!!! ha awesome. I hear that Canal Street is swamped with crazy tricked out cars.

SeaTexan thanks for the info! As you said .. I am sure I can stumble back with a 20 minute or 30 minute walk although Uber is just an App away.  I may change it to the JW. Yes there is the Bayou classic that weekend which is why the rates are high I guess. Come on down !!! I will make room for you

Sounds like it is going to be a fun weekend between the Bayou Classic, Saints and after holiday weekend. Looking forward to it.

seatexan Platinum

Check the Bayou Classic site... I think they offer hotel discounts.  Several are Marriotts. 

taxman193  We've stayed at the Courtyard several times; however, it has been a while.  We like staying in the Convention Center area.  It's not a bad walk to the Superdome.  The French Quarter is a little further, but certainly still walkable.  Sometimes we just catch the streetcar which is not too far away (either on St. Charles or at the Riverwalk station.

Hey, SeaTexan.  Those rides are called bike taxis.  We've never taken one in New Orleans, but we've used them in D.C. and in Houston to go back to the hotel after the Texas Bowl in Reliant Stadium.  That trip was only about 6-weeks post 2nd knee surgery and I think I was still using a walker or a cane, so we were so fortunate to get that ride.

taxman193  Seats in the 300's are probably my favorite, but they are usually so expensive that we haven't sat there very often.  Did you get your tickets on the NFL Ticketmaster Exchange?

The seats were very expensive ! But .. going with my son. Every year we go to a different city and stadium so I hope some day he remembers all these trips as great memories. We have been doing this since he was young and right after I got divorced. He just graduated from college and picked New Orleans sooooooo here we go!

Yes, I purchased them on Ticketmaster Exchange. Two seats .. 300 club level. The seats were $188 each but with the fees Ticketmaster Exchange charges (another $70 total) the total cost for the two seats was $450. Oh well... it will be fun.

That's a great way to spend valuable time with your Son taxman193 and I assure you he will remember those trips just as my Son has remembered our trips to golf, watch golf, car races and the like.  I'd not trade those trips for anything!!!

I hate the Ticketmaster fees, but I guess they have to make $$, too.  Champions Square (right in front of the Dome) is the place to be prior to the game.  It will be fun!

taxman193, You should have a great time too.  Ditto on a great way to spend time with your son Too bad we miss seeing you too, by just a week.  Maybe we'll get to catch up some other time or place.  Enjoy the game!

Ok, change of hotels in New Orleans for next weekend. I am either staying at the Sheraton or the Moxy. Has anyone every stayed at the Moxy? Sounds like fun although different and missing a lot of amenities. I did secure a good government rate for the weekend on a 2 bedroom room. The Sheraton would be a new experience with the Starwood brand and I linked my accounts so I have Platinum status at Starwood so I assume I would get access to the lounge at the Sheraton. Any thoughts?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...